Author Topic: Question regarding fuel tank connections  (Read 5090 times)

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
Question regarding fuel tank connections
« on: March 24, 2020, 11:42:26 am »
Morning all, after coming of worse yesterday after hitting a 4 inch pothole, I am assessing the issues this morning as there is nothing else to do. Not to bad really, I have a buckled rim on the front wheel which I can probably source.

No injuries did not come off and no other damage, could have been worse!

However hitting said pothole, shortly after my co-rider noticed that my bike (2009 K1300s) was gushing fuel on the nearside from within its inner sanctums, switching off stops it so it was obviously pumping from the fuel tank and something had gone amiss, between the tank and engine.

Consulting my Motorrad RSD disc, I have managed to remove the fuel tank and now have access to the front of the tank. It appears that the main fuel close locked quick action coupling may have come adrift when the pothole struck. It does not appear broken but wont firmly click back in place

I do not seem able to insert the male connector into its female receptacle and for it to lock tight, the joint clicks but the male connector does not seem to lock tight. Anybody had this issue before, is there a knack to making the two parts lock together or is it a case of sourcing a new joint, any ideas/tips gratefully accepted.

Thanks for listening.

Steve
Steve Joyce

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Question regarding fuel tank connections
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 12:54:21 pm »
Have you tried depressing the release button while pushing the two together.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 01:26:54 pm »
...after coming of worse yesterday after hitting a 4 inch pothole, I am assessing the issues this morning as there is nothing else to do. Not to bad really, I have a buckled rim on the front wheel which I can probably source.

Glad to hear you're OK. The last thing you want is to be hospitalised in this particular climate.

Buckled wheels can often be straightened. If you measure the buckle (i.e. x mm out of true vertically & horizontally) and email/ring Motoliner or similar, I'm sure they'll let you know:
http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-wheel-straightening.php

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:13:10 pm »
Have you tried depressing the release button while pushing the two together.

Hi Tom, hope you are well? Yes I have pushed the release button at the same time, the male part enters the female part (Ooh er), the release pin clicks but it doesn't seem to catch the tube and it just pulls out? I can see what part of the male part is supposed to accommodate the release button catch, its as if something is missing from the mechanism?
Steve Joyce

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 02:15:40 pm »
...after coming of worse yesterday after hitting a 4 inch pothole, I am assessing the issues this morning as there is nothing else to do. Not to bad really, I have a buckled rim on the front wheel which I can probably source.

Glad to hear you're OK. The last thing you want is to be hospitalised in this particular climate.

Buckled wheels can often be straightened. If you measure the buckle (i.e. x mm out of true vertically & horizontally) and email/ring Motoliner or similar, I'm sure they'll let you know:
http://www.motoliner.com/motorcycle-wheel-straightening.php

Thanks for the info, probably not the best of times to start the process, but it's going to be a toss up between a second hand wheel with no guarantees or seeing if a firm like motoliner can assist. Will measure how far out of true it is.

Steve
Steve Joyce

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 02:42:51 pm »
Re the fuel connector what is one the K model is exactly the same as what I have on my 955 Tiger which failed 5 miles just outside of Dover on an outbound trip which is another story,when stripping my K for the first time too my horror found exactly the same plastic horror and changed it although the insert in the tank is also plastic,their made PCP easiest route is motorworks they do a Male/Female kit alternatively go direct.

Re the wheel....I have a spare spare not the original I took off when fitting BST's but another it came off an R1200 not sure about bearing size but they where knocked out for powder coating I've knock one in for the photo's.

I have a spare set of full floating K discs that drop on the wheel so I know they fit.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 02:55:07 pm by chriscanning »

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2020, 02:52:56 pm »
Re the fuel connector what is one the K model is exactly the same as what I have on my 955 Tiger which failed 5 miles just outside of Dover on an outbound trip which is another story,when stripping my K for the first time too my horror found exactly the same plastic horror and changed it although the insert in the tank is also plastic,their made PCP easiest route is motorworks they do a Male/Female kit alternatively go direct.

Re the wheel....I have a spare spare not the original I took off when fitting BST's but another it came off an R1200 not sure about bearing size but they where knocked out for powder coating I've knock one in for the photo's.

I have a spare set of full floating K discs that drop on the wheel so I know they fit.

Cheers for that Chris, will bear your wheel in mind.

With regards to the fuel coupling, I have now managed to remove the tanks completely and the quick coupling connector has in fact broken during the pothole event, meaning that fuel just pumped out as I found.

Has anybody got access to the parts catalogue to see if I can get a part number for the white male quick action coupling which goes into the fuel tank to feed the engine. I have seen this on line, a metal replacementhttps://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/fp-qdc735kit.htm

Thanks in advance, just the wheel to sort once I have the coupling sorted
Steve Joyce

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2020, 02:58:43 pm »

Cheers for that Chris, will bear your wheel in mind.

quick coupling connector has in fact broken during the pothole event,

they all do in the end their rubbish the trick is being close to home when they do  :) I wasn't  :(

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2020, 03:05:00 pm »
Didn't a few people replace the fuel connectors with metal ones. There must be a link somewhere, try performing a forum search.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2020, 03:06:41 pm »
This is a common'ish failure.

You want one of these...

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-bodies/150/pipe-thread-valved-male-thread/649/clcd100040v/

...not cheap but then the front suspension will break before that does  8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2020, 03:28:13 pm »
You have your uses Brian  ;D

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2020, 03:45:27 pm »
This is a common'ish failure.

You want one of these...

https://www.tom-parker.co.uk/products/cpc-plastic-and-brass-couplings/2/fuel-line-couplings/61/brass-coupling-bodies/150/pipe-thread-valved-male-thread/649/clcd100040v/

...not cheap but then the front suspension will break before that does  8)

That looks rather well made, but it's the male bit I need that inserts into that bit, do you know which one should I get?
Steve Joyce

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2020, 03:55:44 pm »
Both if they have both. Give em a call. If they are closed it will be a dealer job but that's only another placky one but it will get you mobile again.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2020, 03:56:00 pm »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2020, 04:50:16 pm »
The difficult bit is sealing the female in the plastic insert in the tank because just screwing it in isn’t good enough it won’t seal.