Author Topic: Pannier Lock Removal  (Read 11153 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Pannier Lock Removal
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2021, 04:02:55 pm »
It's a fair cop.  :P

Offline Mike_BWM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2021, 11:13:32 am »

These photos are of my lock unit removed from the case. (This is the opposite case from the unit shown in the photo above).

First remove the light grey lever case opening return spring.

The light grey latch lever is obstructing access to the lock barrel release latch.

Insert key and rotate fully anti clockwise. Open light grey lever. Without the spring fitted it will stay open.

Insert a thin screwdriver as shown and depress the barrel retaining lever.

The barrel with key can now be pulled out. The screwdriver is pointing at the barrel retaining lever which protrudes slightly.
When the correct lock levers and springs are fitted, they will be flush with the outside diameter of the barrel as shown here.

To refit the barrel, the case catches are closed and the locking catch that the lock barrel rotates is rotated completely clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver.

The lock barrel and key are inserted with the retaining lever facing outwards as shown. It should click into place.

Hi all. Let me first thank everybody in this thread for the conversation as this led me to victory ;-)
I  have bought second hand Sport Panniers for my K1300S but it had the key of the former owner. Of course I wanted to be able to use my own ignition key for this. After examing the insight of the case and reading this thread I tried the following with success. While there was suggested in this thread to remove the whole mechanism from the insight of the case first I did not want to do that (and did not believe this was neccessary). I also wanted to share some pictures  with you but not sure how to attach them.

Removed the middle screw in the insight of the case. The middle one of the 3 in triangle most outside of the case and almost inline with the lock. Took an electrical wire and stripped it for about 5 cm bending it for a couple of millimeters at the end of the wire. Now pushed the electrical wire in the whole for about 5 cm's (the one were I removed the screw offcourse) and tried to find the end of the lock were you have to press on the end pin for the lock to come out. After some tries succeeded with both cases. Programming both locks et voila!

PS: I think Tom is entering the cilinder back upside down and therefore you can't get to the pin anymore in the way I describe because than the pin ends up on the bottum side of the case and you can't get to it anymore through the whole.

And now with some pictures! That said make sure that when you put back the cilinder in the suitcase after programming you put the pin upwards towards the screwhole so that removal in this way keeps working :-) Before trying I sprayed the cilinder with a littel bit WD-40.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:33:16 am by Mike_BWM »

Offline Mike_BWM

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2021, 10:59:11 pm »
Well, you win this years 'Best First Post' award! So far.  8)
Have an applaud - for images & quality images at that.

But quick, add your approximate position before Rae gets you!
[Edit: you've done that too. A second applaud]

You been at Matt's magic mushroom cider again Richard? There are no pictures for the 'quality images' to relate to. They were all old ones from TomL :-*

You are right. I was not up to speed yet with reply function and how to add pictures but Rae helped me out. Added some of my own pictures now in the end of this thread/post. Thanks again all!
/Mike 8)

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2021, 08:35:17 am »
Well, you win this years 'Best First Post' award! So far.  8)
Have an applaud - for images & quality images at that.

But quick, add your approximate position before Rae gets you!
[Edit: you've done that too. A second applaud]

You been at Matt's magic mushroom cider again Richard? There are no pictures for the 'quality images' to relate to. They were all old ones from TomL :-*

You are right. I was not up to speed yet with reply function and how to add pictures but Rae helped me out. Added some of my own pictures now in the end of this thread/post. Thanks again all!
/Mike 8)

Shhhh Mike, I have a reputation to uphold, people will start to think I'm a nice guy  :-[

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2021, 03:48:16 pm »
Some hope!

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2021, 12:51:28 pm »
super write up and pics, the only minor thing i would change is your lubrication, wd40 and the like are ok for removal but on reassembly i would dry everything and do your cylinder with graphite dust as dust and dirt can't adhere to it. if your really miserable a pencil rubbed up and down the cylinder and lock tabs will do the job ....yeah me, but it was one of those late night jobs.

Offline Steve404

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2015 Motorsport
« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2021, 12:34:49 pm »

These photos are of my lock unit removed from the case. (This is the opposite case from the unit shown in the photo above).

First remove the light grey lever case opening return spring.

The light grey latch lever is obstructing access to the lock barrel release latch.

Insert key and rotate fully anti clockwise. Open light grey lever. Without the spring fitted it will stay open.

Insert a thin screwdriver as shown and depress the barrel retaining lever.

The barrel with key can now be pulled out. The screwdriver is pointing at the barrel retaining lever which protrudes slightly.
When the correct lock levers and springs are fitted, they will be flush with the outside diameter of the barrel as shown here.

To refit the barrel, the case catches are closed and the locking catch that the lock barrel rotates is rotated completely clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver.

The lock barrel and key are inserted with the retaining lever facing outwards as shown. It should click into place.

Hi all. Let me first thank everybody in this thread for the conversation as this led me to victory ;-)
I  have bought second hand Sport Panniers for my K1300S but it had the key of the former owner. Of course I wanted to be able to use my own ignition key for this. After examing the insight of the case and reading this thread I tried the following with success. While there was suggested in this thread to remove the whole mechanism from the insight of the case first I did not want to do that (and did not believe this was neccessary). I also wanted to share some pictures  with you but not sure how to attach them.

Removed the middle screw in the insight of the case. The middle one of the 3 in triangle most outside of the case and almost inline with the lock. Took an electrical wire and stripped it for about 5 cm bending it for a couple of millimeters at the end of the wire. Now pushed the electrical wire in the whole for about 5 cm's (the one were I removed the screw offcourse) and tried to find the end of the lock were you have to press on the end pin for the lock to come out. After some tries succeeded with both cases. Programming both locks et voila!

PS: I think Tom is entering the cilinder back upside down and therefore you can't get to the pin anymore in the way I describe because than the pin ends up on the bottum side of the case and you can't get to it anymore through the whole.

And now with some pictures! That said make sure that when you put back the cilinder in the suitcase after programming you put the pin upwards towards the screwhole so that removal in this way keeps working :-) Before trying I sprayed the cilinder with a littel bit WD-40.

So (as the youngsters say) I intend to convert the locks on my sports panniers to match the key of the new bike I have, and thanks to all for the lock removal guidance.

Once the locks are removed do I need to buy new barrels and tumblers https://www.bmw-motorrad-bohling.com/uk/bmw-codeable-key-cylinder-for-sport-panniers-system-panniers-touring-panniers-top-case-49-liter-and-bmw-top-case-28-liter.html or do you 'rearrange' the existing tumblers in the exisiting lock barrels to match the key of the new bike?

Thanks in anticipation and that.

Steve.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:24:49 pm by richtea »
Steve Joyce

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2021, 12:56:57 pm »
I just rearranged. Found a home for 90% of them!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2021, 02:39:03 pm »
You don't actually need a tumbler in every slot, it just mKes it less secure. But not as secure as not having any in there  :D

Offline Frank The Alien

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: None
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 04:44:38 pm »
I am having exactly the same issue with brand new panniers - we assembled the barrel to fit bike key - then isnerted the barrel into pannier - everything worked but key would not come out. Thats when we had to disassemble as per the diagram with the helpful cat.

By pressing the the lock pin - in the 'black hole'  - we were able to release the barrell.

Now not sure where we went wrong - my only thought is  that we were 180deg out when inserting the lock barrell ?

I also note that we do not seem to have the retaining pin that sits thought he very bottom of the barrell - and there is no mention of iy with the instrcutions.

Any advise eagerly received ?

THx

Stu
Stu

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2022, 10:27:53 am »
So, does the key come out once the lock is removed?

Offline Frank The Alien

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: None
« Reply #41 on: February 02, 2022, 01:27:41 pm »
Yes once barrel removed from pannier key comes out.

We went back to drawing board and realised we had put a tumbler in where it should have been left blank - slot after the stop plate (at 180 deg).

Schoolboy error :(   - all now fine and Dandy.

Thanks for all the help - on the previous posts, especially the ones with pictures.

Stu
Stu