Author Topic: avon v the rest  (Read 5153 times)

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
avon v the rest
« on: July 05, 2020, 02:21:37 pm »
tyre time is approaching and there seems to be no discussion anywhere on tyres....
just a quick picking of brains please....
was caught out once upon a time with a goosed tyre on a saturday pm and couldn't get a tyre of any make whatsoever but lucked into a friend appearing who was big into his racing bikes...cutting a long story short i was back on the road with a part worn avon 3d that evening, not disregarding the fact the tyre was a 160 instead of a 170 (bike was k1200rs) , it was also an impressive purple colour that i couldn't reproduce,
well the bike was totally transformed.... i thought i was happy with the bikes handling before but my gast was well and truly flabbered!
since then i've been an avon fan, however i see different tyres getting rave reviews here and the k1300s is a different animal so may not just handle the same. it came with metzelers , ok tyre but i see the avons as more 'me friendly" if that makes sense.
sooooo.... anyone running avon 3d storm on their bikes or even better anyone experienced avon and angle gt on the k13 (angel gt is the main one tempting me away but it's all decided by reading and i would prefer hands on experience)
mileage has no part in my decision...i want grip and confidence
price not very important up to a point.
also while i may have your attention i don't balance my wheels.... am i wrong? why? 

Andym535

Re: avon v the rest
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 02:48:12 pm »
I’ve got Avon tyres on my Triumph and they are better than the stock Metzelers

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 02:54:11 pm »
Haven't tried Avons, sorry. But my order of pref is:

- Angel GT / 2 (can't tell the difference between 1 & 2 yet, and am already through about 50% of the GT 2s)
- Mich PR4 / 5

I found Dunlop Sportsmax and Metz Roadtec 01 disappointing in stability terms. I'm sure they ARE very stable, but they just didn't feel as planted as the Angels and PRs.
Different curvature, different tread? Not sure, but that's what I found.

Angels and PRs - they feel like you can get away with anything. They are so much better than the rider, it's fit and forget (other than have a quick scan of the surfaces every now and then).

Angel is first because I found the PRs whitelined after about 2/3rds wear.
However, PRs are rumoured to be better in the wet than the Angels. Since I don't push hard in the the wet, I can't confirm that.

If you go either Angel or Metz, you need to get the heavyweight version of the tyre. I don't think the other makes have different variants, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Balancing: - decreases the vibration caused by imbalance of the wheel's weight.
100mph = 44 metres / second. With a wheel that has a 1.4 metre circumference, you'll get a nice vibe of 44/1.4  = 30 small shakes / second.
Someone else can calculate the force up and down. I'm tired of maths now. :-)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:12:08 pm by richtea »

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2020, 03:06:35 pm »
thats probably the way i should have described the avons..... planted better and fill me with confidence ...
super point about no difference between gt and gt2 thats good to know if i go for them.
my main problem with the pr4/5 is that i know a guy who is the biking "god" of all the world has told me i'm mad to not go for pirelli , i don't think he's god so i won't fit them simply on principle .

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2020, 03:16:47 pm »
Just checked my mail from early 18 bought a pair of 3D XM Avon’s from M&P,expected to find a manufacturing from 5 years previous instead they were 6 weeks old.

I always think Avon get a bum deal in the bike trade because you can call them lots of things but fashionable they never have been,mine we’re fine and never got close to wearing them out but as Michelin bought out the RS Power and Road 5 and i’d fitted Such on other bikes the Avon’s on the K were the odd men out and put 5’s on.

Oh and the next question? Power RS  ;D ;D ;D their great
« Last Edit: July 05, 2020, 03:18:31 pm by chriscanning »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2020, 03:57:11 pm »
I like the Pirelli Angel GT type A. The type A has a stiffer sidewall.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2020, 04:07:12 pm »
I like the Pirelli Angel GT type A. The type A has a stiffer sidewall.

Spot on.
When I said '...get the heavyweight version of the tyre' I meant the bike was classed as heavyweight - not the tyre.  Doh. ::)

Also true of the GT 2, the A spec is the correct fitment.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2020, 04:37:13 pm »
Haven't tried Avons, sorry. But my order of pref is:

- Angel GT / 2 (can't tell the difference between 1 & 2 yet, and am already through about 50% of the GT 2s)
- Mich PR4 / 5

I found Dunlop Sportsmax and Metz Roadtec 01 disappointing in stability terms. I'm sure they ARE very stable, but they just didn't feel as planted as the Angels and PRs.
Different curvature, different tread? Not sure, but that's what I found.

Angels and PRs - they feel like you can get away with anything. They are so much better than the rider, it's fit and forget (other than have a quick scan of the surfaces every now and then).

Angel is first because I found the PRs whitelined after about 2/3rds wear.
However, PRs are rumoured to be better in the wet than the Angels. Since I don't push hard in the the wet, I can't confirm that.

If you go either Angel or Metz, you need to get the heavyweight version of the tyre. I don't think the other makes have different variants, but I could be wrong.

Edit: Balancing: - decreases the vibration caused by imbalance of the wheel's weight.
100mph = 44 metres / second. With a wheel that has a 1.4 metre circumference, you'll get a nice vibe of 44/1.4  = 30 small shakes / second.
Someone else can calculate the force up and down. I'm tired of maths now. :-)

I have had both the Angel GT and the PR5 on my KTM 1290GT and I am now running the PR5 on the R1200GS, I can confirm the PR5 do power through the wet very well even down to the 20% I am on at the moment, will soon need new skins and PR5 will be my choice.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2020, 04:42:57 pm »
I've run Pirelli Angels on a Kawasaki 1400GTR and Versys 1000 with every satisfaction. My K1300GT came with PR4's fitted and I found them very good on this bike, so replaced them with PR5's this Spring. Both sets of  Michelins were the heavy duty version, as recommended for the K1300GT.

These PR5's do feel superb, however I'm not a hard rider so probably my comments aren't as valid as some!

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2020, 06:11:46 pm »
Oddly enough just been out on KTMGT doing some running around and on Power RS it’s nothing short of superb,all things were fine with this thread till Pirelli Angelswere mentioned  :o,i’ve attempted to force feed myself the said tyre 3 times,non have gone past a 1000 miles,2 sets went in the bin and last got sold,I like to have some idea what a tyre is going to do instead of some magical mystery tour that always ended up frightening me to death.

Offline corkboy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 08' K1200 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: AF-XIED plug. Z-TEC screen, LED Highbeams, Front/rear dashcam
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2020, 06:24:39 pm »
I put a set of PR4 GTs on the K1200GT 9,000 miles ago, and just replaced the front with another PR4GT. They brought me through 9k miles of fun, a lot of it two up with luggage, including peg scraping in Corsica.  Absolutely no problem with grip, and the front has just reached the wear marks, so decide to replace. The back has a bit left to go. 

The front has "triangulated" a bit, so I could feel a definite step when coming off the vertical, But at 9K miles, I can't complain.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2020, 07:17:04 pm »
i made a bad boo boo earlier.... (birthday party last night- not mine) biking god was forcing me to use michelin not pirelli thus i won't fit them.
now i've proven myself to be thick in every sense of the word.
so chris was't impressed with the angel gts but no one has any complaints about avon is what i've taken from this so far...

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2020, 07:55:33 pm »
Keep an eye on the M&P adds they have a strong connection with Avon,just checked my mail from 2 years ago,paid £125 for the pair and the rear was a 190/55.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2020, 07:57:22 pm »
will do, thanks for the heads up

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2020, 10:54:47 am »
Oddly enough just been out on KTMGT doing some running around and on Power RS it’s nothing short of superb,all things were fine with this thread till Pirelli Angelswere mentioned  :o,i’ve attempted to force feed myself the said tyre 3 times,non have gone past a 1000 miles,2 sets went in the bin and last got sold,I like to have some idea what a tyre is going to do instead of some magical mystery tour that always ended up frightening me to death.

Great tyre the Power RS Chris, one of the best I have had on a large powerfull bike, the one thing you have to do is get a bit of heat in the tyre when using it in the wet, because from cold you can push the bike sidewards with no problem, ;D, there again like you say you can feel what is going on beneath you.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul