Author Topic: Avon Storm 3D XM  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Roadrally

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sat Nav, Autocom,Loud air horn!
Avon Storm 3D XM
« on: March 28, 2016, 03:35:24 pm »
It's time for some new tyres for my trusty RT which is currently shod with Bridgestone 023's. My first thought is to go with Avon Storm 2 Ultras which are available for £156 for a pair and are a tyre I like and have confidence in. Thing is, I keep looking at the 3D XM and wondering if they are worth the extra £50 for a pair.

Has anybody run a pair of 3D XM's to end of life and if so, what did you think of them?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Avon Storm 3D XM
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 03:39:09 pm »
I am a big fan of the Storm Ultra 2s I had the 3D XMs and the front got mis-shaped in just a few hundred miles. It might have been just a one off but it tainted my view of them.
My next set are going to be the Pirelli Angel Gts they get excellent praise from the FJR boys.

Offline liblab

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 06:16:21 pm »
K1300gt ridden normally 10,000 miles, replaced with 1.5mm left on the front and 2.0mm on the rear. Never managed more than 7,000 miles on a set of tyres before. Guess what I replaced them with.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 06:28:01 pm »
Avon for sure, they are notorious for duration and gt here the posies end. Still the style and way someone rides plus the tarmac is traveling and the ambient temperatures  play the major part on how long a tyre lasts..
Embrace the wind.