Author Topic: K1300S - First Month Report  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
K1300S - First Month Report
« on: January 03, 2019, 07:40:56 pm »
After 38 days the K1200S was sold back to the supplying Dealer  - I'd thoroughly enjoyed the bike and, dire fuel consumption and lumpy low speed running apart, it was a fine bike.

8 days later on December 8, the vacant garage slot had been taken by a Sapphire Black K1300S Sport. 8 years younger, similar mileage but with FSH (the big 18K just completed) and 2 years of BMW warranty. Smiling faces all round.

The first 500 miles were fine. Decent weather helped, the fuel consumption was much improved over the 1200 and I busied myself buying panniers & a very sexy carbon hugger (thank you David), centre stand, AC Schnitzer bars, rear rack, 4 button Garmin mount and a combined alarm/TPMS unit from Motorworks.

I went to give them all a good run out to Helmsley on New Years eve returning the long way back through Stokesley - very enjoyable wearing my new Keis heated jacket.

And then........

Why was the left side of the rear tyre all black and shiny? Why was the disc and calliper dripping oil all over the garage floor? How had I got back home in one piece?

The BMW rescue service rates 11/10. Having called them at 0845 on January 2, the bike was at Allan Jefferies before 1100 that day.

It turns out that a rear wheel bearing has failed, destroying the oil seal and emptying the recently changed FD oil as described. All covered by the warranty and expected back with me on Friday. Excellent.

Whilst with them, I'd asked if they could investigate a stray ½" washer I'd noticed on the bottom of the headlight unit a few days earlier. This turns out to be a part of the headlight adjustment system. Sadly NOT covered by the warranty. I've authorised some investigative work to see if they can rebuild whatever it is that's fallen off/apart. Does anyone have any experience of this and the likely chances of success without a complete new unit?

Oh, and the BMW diagnostic system apparently won't talk to my combined Alarm/TPMS unit so I can't get that coded in either.

Looks like an expensive start to the New Year.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1300S - First Month Report
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 08:16:04 pm »
Well, there's alot of stuff for one month...

New headlight from memory...back to Motorworks or James Sherlock for that.

Rear bearing/seal failure fairly well documented.

Tell 'em to give the diagnostic system a good kicking. Should just be plug and play... 8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:24:24 am »
Well isn't that a fine how do you do!

So I read your post and shouted "aha, snap!" My cat briefly made eye contact then went back to staring out the window.

In any case, I had the oil over one side of the rear tyre, and feeling like I escape death... twice!

First time they said "yeah really rare, we replace we good yeah." And everything was good. For 6,000 miles more. Then it happened again. This time they had a new garage technician head chief chef guy who calipered some spacer thing and found it was, if I remember correctly, something like 1/3rd of a mm too large, and was pushing some cogs together which heated up and caused something to fail. Or something. I probably wrote a more accurate thread at the time.

Anyway, if you can make sense of my words, maybe suggest they check, or live with paranoia now you've read all this. Mine is a 2015 February bike btw.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 10:57:04 am »
That seems like a whole lot of excitement for the new bike, following on from the excitement of the 1200, and not all of it good.

I hope the gremlins are sorted soon and that you can settle down to enjoying the bike for what it is - the (second) best sports tourer ever. The black ones are pretty fast, almost as fast as the Motorsport ones, so once things are settled, you should be on a good bike. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it once things settle and the weather improves.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 11:16:33 am »
Well isn't that a fine how do you do!

So I read your post and shouted "aha, snap!" My cat briefly made eye contact then went back to staring out the window.

In any case, I had the oil over one side of the rear tyre, and feeling like I escape death... twice!

First time they said "yeah really rare, we replace we good yeah." And everything was good. For 6,000 miles more. Then it happened again. This time they had a new garage technician head chief chef guy who calipered some spacer thing and found it was, if I remember correctly, something like 1/3rd of a mm too large, and was pushing some cogs together which heated up and caused something to fail. Or something. I probably wrote a more accurate thread at the time.

Anyway, if you can make sense of my words, maybe suggest they check, or live with paranoia now you've read all this. Mine is a 2015 February bike btw.

LOL - apologise to the cat for me please - and is there a general cat theme running through this forum?

I can live with "spacer thing pushing cogs together" - I'll ask them to check that whilst there are bits everywhere and stock up on Prozac in the meantime.

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2019, 11:27:14 am »
I hope the gremlins are sorted soon and that you can settle down to enjoying the bike for what it is - the (second) best sports tourer ever. The black ones are pretty fast, almost as fast as the Motorsport ones, so once things are settled, you should be on a good bike. :D

I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on with it once things settle and the weather improves.

And talking of coincidences, my route from Helmsley to Stokesley on NY eve took me along the excellent B1257. Gently bimbling along behind a black Peugeot we crested a blind rise to find a whole flock of deer running across the road just out of "oh sh*t range" - there would have been 20-30 I guess and impossible to miss all of them had we arrived a fraction sooner or a little bit faster.

That moment and staying upright despite my own personal oil slick probably used up the last of my luck for 2018.

Thank heavens for New Years. 

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 01:33:34 pm »
And, although I NEVER follow cars for longer than I have to, I would be buying the Peugeot driver a bottle or two of something festive for holding you up  8)

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 12:47:52 pm »
Things happen for a reason they say.....

As an update, those nice people at BMW paid for the rear bearing/seal repair as expected but also stumped up the material cost for the new headlight that was required - some £500 I believe. Williams BMW have agreed to cover the £60 or so labour for me so pretty good all round.

That just leaves the alarm/TPMS which Jefferies couldn't code in for me - that was £50 spent on top of the £85 for the unit from Motorworks. Question is, is the unit faulty or is it (as Motorworks suggest) just that the BMW software won't allow coding of a "used" unit. Does anyone know if the GS911 can "teach in" alarm units? Is it even always/ever necessary?

Roll on the better weather so I can try it all out again.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 06:54:55 pm »
When I fitted a used TPMS/alarm unit to my K13S it worked immediately iirc.

Great news about all the free stuff coming your way. The beers are on you now  8)

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 10:18:07 am »
Thanks Brian - I do remember reading that that was the case - it may be that the unit they supplied is just naff. I'm planning to visit them to try another one as soon as I can unfreeze the garage door (time for a sexy roller one I feel). I bought some very interesting beers in a Riga Zeppelin Shed bar just on Tuesday (hemp and peppermint) - the lady told me that I'd remain perfectly lucid but my legs would be drunk! - she'd never even heard of Billy Connolly but the beer was excellent.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 11:19:26 am »
I think you are taking way too many risks with your life.

Hemp and peppermint for heaven's sake  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2019, 11:35:30 am »
I think you are taking way too many risks with your life.

Hemp and peppermint for heaven's sake  :o

Exactly. Why spoil it with peppermint? Crazy.  8)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2019, 04:23:07 pm »
I made some amazing peppermint sweet things a few years ago... oops sorry I derailed the thread but damn they were good. The recipe was from some book mom's got from probably the 70s. Ok I go find it.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2019, 04:28:20 pm »
It was rather pleasant though and served by an interesting young lady with green hair - perhaps the result of too much peppermint?

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2019, 05:24:02 pm »
The recall was done inappropriately. As per many other cases. 
Embrace the wind.