Author Topic: Pilot Power 3 anyone?  (Read 6998 times)

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R SPORT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Pilot Power 3 anyone?
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:00:47 am »
Following on from the PR 4 GT discussion and Michelins recommendation for Pilot Power 3 tyres has anyone here tried them? I am now considering a pair but would like to hear impressions from other riders of the K bikes.
Watchin you Focker

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Ohlins front and rear, Black Laminar screen , grip puppies, adjustable brake and clutch levers, Phillips extreme vision bulbs,.
Re: Pilot Power 3 anyone?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2015, 07:14:48 pm »
I have jjus had a pair fitted, so maybe I can answer my own question. I will let you know what I think.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2015, 09:47:46 am »
What were you on previously?

Brian (who wonders why more K bikes don't go with the Michelin recommendation)

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2015, 05:01:17 pm »
I was previously on Pilot Road 4. I must have put about 6.5 thousand on them, good ride quality and grip wet and dry. I was just curious whether the PP3 tyres would be even more grippy. I know I won't get the same mileage, like I say just curious. I might  go back to the PR4 tyres. Still scrubbing them in. Also, I am trying the 55 section as opposed to the 50 section. I have taken 2 clicks out of the rear shock and a bit less damping. The PP3 tyres seem a bit firmer hence the slight softening of the rear. Turn quicker now. I will update when I have more information. I paid £216 fitted to loose wheels at SRT in Birkenhead.
Watchin you Focker

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:26:13 pm »
I have put about four and a half thousand on them with a few hundred left at most. They have kept their shape really well only squaring off over the last 300 miles. Since fitting the Ohlins last autumn I have really appreciated their qualities. Excellent grip even when pushing it a bit, they seem to like it. I have made some adjustments to the suspension over the last 3 weeks since I have been using the bike a lot more. Now I have the suspension working exactly how I want. I feel that I am only really getting to know the tyres now which must sound stupid but I think that many riders choose tyres which compensate for suspension shortcomings. I have decided to fit another pair of the same tyres in order to truly assess them in conjunction with the suspension set up. I will let you know how I get on.
Watchin you Focker

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 08:58:36 pm »
As a fan(atic) of the PR3/4? I would disembowel myself with a bent and rusty handlebar if I needed to change tyres this side of 7,000 hard miles!

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 10:35:35 pm »
I can understand your view on this. I could quite easily go back to PR4`s but I fancy getting to know another set of PP3's before making a change. In the meantime I will wait and see what new tyres are available by then. When I bought the tyres they were cheaper than the PR4 but the fitter said that they wouldn't last as long. I knew what I was getting into. 
Watchin you Focker

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 12:46:04 pm »
Take a look at the new METZELER ROADTEC 01, personaly was going for the PIRRELI ANGEL GT TYPE A, and in fact had them for a few weeks before tearing apart front one and tearing a big chunk fm rear (very soft sides) forced to  negotiated pedestrians pavement by a NISSAN NAVARA.
01 are very nice, am feeling confident again. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:51:02 pm »

Because the Pirellis Angel GTs are better.  ;D

How about you come over to the dark side, Brian?
I've been over to Mich, so it's time for you to try Pirellis...

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 10:23:15 pm »
I have put about four and a half thousand on them with a few hundred left at most. They have kept their shape really well only squaring off over the last 300 miles. Since fitting the Ohlins last autumn I have really appreciated their qualities. Excellent grip even when pushing it a bit, they seem to like it. I have made some adjustments to the suspension over the last 3 weeks since I have been using the bike a lot more. Now I have the suspension working exactly how I want. I feel that I am only really getting to know the tyres now which must sound stupid but I think that many riders choose tyres which compensate for suspension shortcomings. I have decided to fit another pair of the same tyres in order to truly assess them in conjunction with the suspension set up. I will let you know how I get on.

Thanks for posting this update, super useful...  I am tending towards your view, although I like PR4s I wonder if there is anything better with slightly less mileage... Peter

« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 10:36:33 pm by peterwbaker »

Offline CC Mac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 10:48:41 am »
Just under 5 thou at the moment, so I haven't changed them yet. I got caught in heavy rain in North Wales last weekend and was very happy with the wet grip, especially considering the amount of tread left on them, (front still has a fair bit left). I am also considering Metzeler Sportec M7 RR as a possible replacement with similar grip and possibly more mileage. I will keep you posted. 
Watchin you Focker

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 12:31:32 pm »

Because the Pirellis Angel GTs are better.  ;D

How about you come over to the dark side, Brian?
I've been over to Mich, so it's time for you to try Pirellis...

The bike is dark enough for me without adding more to it  ::)

Being very conservative, I can't see the point in trying to fix something that ain't broken and anyway, I can't afford new tyres every 5k!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 01:48:05 pm »
You conservative? Big lie fellas, no chikcen strips ever on his bikes.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 05:33:28 pm »
Amazing what you can achieve with a sheet of sandpaper.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »
Takes ages; angle grinder is a bit agressive, belt sander will have your finger nails off.

Much easier to do some bend-swinging but I am sure there was some poetic licence in Costas's remarks...