Author Topic: Pirelli Angels or Metzeler Roadtec on a K1300?  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
Pirelli Angels or Metzeler Roadtec on a K1300?
« on: April 14, 2016, 01:53:51 pm »
Time for new tyres
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Pirelli Angels or Metzeler Roadtec on a K1300?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 01:58:19 pm »
R1 In simple words PERFECT
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:20:02 pm »
Like you ride in COLD conditions my friend  8)

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:27:00 pm »
Go for the Pirelli Angels.
Had them on the K12 just before I sold it and they were a revelation, brilliant.

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Bullet

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 06:31:47 pm »
Currently running the Metz, but I will be trying the Angels soon.
I'm an avid PR4 fan and had about 6 sets over the last couple of years on various bikes and cant fault them for wet weather riding, unfortunately due to the majority of riding that I do, they square off before I run out of tread.

Its an individual choice I guess.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 09:30:12 pm »
Hi Bullet, lets us know your impressions please, I am also a Pilot Road follower but the new Metzler gets my interest up!  Peter

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 11:50:44 pm »
The man from Pirelli/Metzeler did a presentation at our club on the new Roadtec 01 and the Pirelli GT.

When I pushed him he was clear that the Pirelli GT type A was for the more sportier rider and the Roadtec 01 was more suitable for tourers.

When the time comes I will be fitting Pirelli GT type A tyres.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 08:59:13 am »
I too have PR3 and 4'd it up since getting into the K bike world. 

I'm glad that there are viable competitors.  Ive maybe 3k left on this set so will perhaps try... one of these in a couple months!

I do like this place!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 10:41:16 am »
Nice of you to be so nice Matt, we do only let the nice folks in here as you know  ;D

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 11:17:21 am »
Thanks for the info Guys - I am going after the Metzler Roadtec 01s this time. 120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL front and 190/55 ZR 17 M/C (HWM) TL rear, for a K1300R with 6.00" rear rim, according the Metzler site.
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 10:16:56 am »
After my debacle with the unrepairable tyre in Wales, I have gone for a set of Pirelli Angel GT type A tyres as I said I would after the Metzeler/Pirelli man paid a visit to our club earlier in the year. He did suggest that the Roadtec 01 was a touring tyre as against the Angel GT which was more suitable for sportier riders. I did also consider the PR4s which I could have picked up cheaper.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 10:22:45 am »
Let us know how what you think of the Angels Tom. I am thinking about them for my next set, they get rave reviews on the FJR forum.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2016, 11:33:34 pm »
Very pleased with the Pirelli Angel GT tyres so far. Bike feels planted with no nasty moments and no real signs of wear after 1400 miles.

Managed a five day trip to the Ardennes with some decent riding every day. All sorts of conditions with mud on the road in places and some pot holed sections of road almost as bad as Hertfordshire. Can't see myself getting to the edge of the tyre judging by the chicken strips.

Bike going great but now having problems with the Rukka Gore Lockout zip on my jacket. Jacket out of warranty and my best option hopefully is a replacement YKK lockout zip fitted through Bike Stop by a repairer that they use in the UK. They expect that it will take three to four weeks to order the zip and fit it at a cost to me of £136.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2016, 06:06:40 pm »
If you can't get to the edge of the tyre Tom, there no bloody hope for the rest of us!

As for the zipper, doncha just lov new technology that never works as well as the old technology, fails sooner and costs more to repair!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2016, 06:14:14 pm »
Was about to make similar comments. 
May I suggest, get on a plane come and stay here for two days and have the jacket repaired for 20€,   the hole trip will cost the same amount of money.  Bloody he'll that zipper repair if very very expensive.
My flight Athens to Stansted will cost me for the round trip 90£.
Embrace the wind.