Author Topic: CE Level 2 gloves  (Read 12842 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
CE Level 2 gloves
« on: June 03, 2021, 07:26:26 pm »
You might think that one of the main things people search for is 'CE level 2' for gloves, i.e. the higher certification.
Can I find a decent list of certified gloves? Can I heck. (I know, they're all CE nowadays - it's the better quality ones I'm after.)

So far, the best indicator is price, but even that's only a vague pointer. In fact the number of lumps'n'bumps is a good indicator of price.  ;D

Does anyone know of a source that can tell me which gloves are level 2 without visiting and reading each and every description (most of which say nothing, or just CE)?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 07:33:05 pm by richtea »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: CE Level 2 gloves
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2021, 02:45:06 pm »
My Alpinestars summer and winter gloves are Cat 1...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2021, 02:57:19 pm »
Only checked my Rukka gloves because you mentioned CE Level 2 and surprisingly they don't specify any safety level of consruction.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2021, 04:40:37 pm »
Here is an explanation:

https://vquattro.com/en/normes-ce/normes-ce-des-gants/

In simple terms there should be graphic of a man on a bike. In lower left corner of graphic there is a box with a number 1 or 2. Thats yer level.

Not many level 2 gloves on the market the crazy expensive Supertechs are L2 as are the GP Pro R3 which are a good deal cheaper.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 06:28:40 pm »
I had a good ride around the local glove dealers (local, my arse - Oxford, Coleshill [Brum], Hinckley and Kenilworth in that order. Took most of the day).
I saw almost no CE Level 2 items (Alpinestars GP Pro R3 was it, as armstrongracer spotted - well done!) and was stared at blank-faced by 'salesmen' when I asked if they had any CE Level 2 gloves. Clueless, the lot of them - bar one.

The Alpinestars turn out to be bloody tight - too tight for me, even on the max 3XL size. But they are well made. Shame.

One salesman sheeplishly said, and probably quite accurately:
'Actually, everyone just buys on colour and fit.'
Then followed up with 'These are nice, they've got titanium on the knuckles and stingray leather on the palm. Only £377.'
'Are they CE Level 2?'
'Um, no. But they're really well made, I mean they must be the equivalent of CE Level 2.'

Silence from me whilst digesting 1) WTF does titanium do for you apart from spark as you hit the floor, and 2) that isn't stingray, mate. It's just a description.
[I was wrong on that second bit. Damn.]

The most helpful  - Mr Kenilworth - rang his supplier who said the lack of choice was down to 'Not much call for them.'
He also said the CE Level 2 are likely to be less comfy because of the additional protection. Ah! - interesting point.
He's going to try & get some in for me to try.

Anyway, I am down to one brand for the moment - called Five. They're French and only make gloves, which is promising since they should know what they're doing. They do also look just as tarty as the rest - that comes with the territory, but they have a choice three models with CE Level 2, two of which are affordable - the RFX1 and RFX2 and come in big boy sizes. That's a start. The third pair, RFX Race, are eye-watering stingray/titanium prices.

I'll let you know if I ever manage to try a pair on.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 06:30:34 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 07:59:23 pm »
Interesting! Surely all the motogp riders are wearing ce level 2 gloves, so like everything else they wear, there'd be a market for them.

I'm sure I saw Five in the pistonheads bargain basement thread with a sale on and everyone and their mother was buying them. I'd not heard of them before though. Have you?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 08:40:58 pm »
Sportsbikeshop stock them.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2021, 08:42:33 pm »
What do the local plod wear?

Elf and Serve Tea won't let them out on their own without a life jacket and a decent pair of waders in case it rains so I imagine their gloves are top notch.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2021, 08:49:10 pm »
Or...how about these for £49 squid

??????????? Winter Motorcycle Gloves are a category 2 CE approved glove constructed from full grain leather and feature pre curved fingers, integrated knuckle/dual density rubber for general impact protection, stretch panels for ease of control, cuff & wrist straps for secure fit, Scaphoid reinforcement, Schoeller Keprotec for abrasion resistance, double leather reinforcements in high impact areas, Silicon layers anti-slip palm, waterproof, windproof and breathable membrane, thermal insulation and integrated rubber visor wipe.
Category 2 CE approved glove
Full grain leather
Impact protection
Waterproof
Windproof and breathable

The missing name on the glove...

Frank Thomas

No really...

https://jsaccessories.co.uk/product/frank-thomas-ft-05-cat-2-gloves-black-17694?gclid=Cj0KCQjwnueFBhChARIsAPu3YkRnnbHcn7DvwuAH93PUy5z7oV939ir8WG7JeS0eRhjRqrb7iTD7c6UaArzYEALw_wcB&variant=87631

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2021, 09:32:08 pm »
British police wear Brian Sansom (BKS) gloves available from Motolegends.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2021, 09:34:37 pm »
Exactly what Rae said!

What do the local plod wear?

Elf and Serve Tea won't let them out on their own without a life jacket and a decent pair of waders in case it rains so I imagine their gloves are top notch.

They are pretty good.
BKS and Brian Sansom. Maybe others.

Two issues there:
1) I really need to try them for size (or purchase a couple of sizes and models online - try them - and return the many rejects).
2) BKS are well known for top quality leathers, but they have a hell of a lot of gloves going cheap at J&S. I get the feeling they're mostly just stamped BKS, and not the same quality as police/racer versions which are on the BKS website.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2021, 09:35:57 pm »
Or...how about these for £49 squid
Winter! Noooo.
Mind you, Wales can get a bit wet...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2021, 09:39:01 pm »
J&S bought the BKS brand and Brian Samson wanted it back so he started again don't get them confused.
Take a look at the Motolegends videos.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2021, 09:42:39 pm »
British police wear Brian Sansom (BKS) gloves available from Motolegends.

Ack best me to it too hah!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2021, 01:17:45 pm »
Surely a glove at Cat 2 is a glove at Cat 2.

The idea of the winter glove is that a google search pulled up the Frank Thomas pair of winter ones so maybe summer ones also.