Author Topic: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE  (Read 29526 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2023, 10:15:02 pm »
I'm pleased David. Your experiences really have been revelatory.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2023, 03:45:08 pm »
Oh! :o It looks like Plod are staring to catch on! 

The latest in unmarked technology!

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2023/march/north-yorkshire-police-kawasaki-ninja-h2-sx/

I wonder if they'll get it flashed? :D   
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 07:06:20 pm by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2023, 05:34:27 pm »
I saw that and nearly posted the link but I didn't want to scare anyone... :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2023, 07:15:28 pm »
On a related note I rode past Alton Bahnstormer yesterday and police were on the empty forecourt with 2 or 3 black GSs.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2023, 07:29:04 pm »
...and they very often sit in the lay by opposite on unmarked bikes and just follow you through the 30 limit and wait for you to crack it when you reach the 50. We've often ridden at 49.999 for miles on the way to Loomies until they get pissed off and turn back.  ;D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2023, 12:04:54 pm »
So, the H2 SX SE and I are safely back from the fun of the Old Gits trip. Yet again, the bike proved to be ideal for the tasks of eating motorway miles, carrying large amounts of luggage, having great fun on the passes and dealing with long, hot and intense days. 3,000 miles and the bike never missed a beat or put a foot (tyre?) wrong.

It was serviced before I left. it had almost 27,000 miles on the clock so it was less than 7,500 miles since the last service, thus was done on time rather than mileage. This should have been a "big" service, with valve checks but the dealer said that the valves are totally based on mileage so if I'f not done the miles, they saw no point in me paying a big bill. The service was £203.16 and there was nothing other than the usual consumables.

I also had a new set of RoadTec 01SEs fitted ready for the trip. The PR6s were not quite dead but there was only about 1000 miles left in the rear so I was not going to make the whole trip on them. I also found the worn PR6s to be not quite as good as new 01SEs  so was happy with the change.

The bike is still on the original chain but the trip to Italy demonstrated nicely just what over 200bhp can do to a chain that's on its 5th season and has had nearly 30,000 miles use. The chain needed significant adjustment when I returned though we've still not reached the end of the adjustment range. It'll see out the rest of this season and be replaced over the winter.

The finish of the bike (when it's not encrusted with dead Italian insects) is still spot on. It has lasted much better than any of my K1?00Ss and really puts BMW to shame.

So, was it still the right choice? The engine is still stunning. The handle is still quick and easy (for a big girl) and everything still looks good and does exactly what it's supposed to so, absolutely 100% it is the right bike to replace the K1300S. A friend who has also owned 3 x K1300S has just been through the process of looking for a replacement for his most recent K. Again, he loved the K1300S and really wanted an updated version of the same, He also didn't want to get the same bike as me on principal! He test rode the usual suspects, S1000XR, SD1290GT, Multistrada V4 Pike Peak and the H2 SX. He said that the others were good but the H2 SX was better a pretty much everything so, My H2 SX had company on the Old Gits trip. :D

My company circumstances are changing which is resulting in my looking for a new bike this autumn, to be on the road in the spring. No prizes for guessing what I'm going for. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2023, 05:55:48 pm »
Very good, David! It certainly looks sweet in the green metallic paintwork. I'm still not convinced by the seat, the chain and the spiky bits of bodywork, but they're minor details. Actually, the seat isn't minor, but you did say an Airhawk brings it round.

I'll be looking carefully at one in about 20k more K miles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2023, 06:12:45 pm »
It's all excellent news David and I am delighted that you have found us the ideal K1300S replacement. By comparison, the OEM chain on my then 6 month old Honda 250 was thrown away because it was rock solid; took it off and held it by one end and there was nary a droop, could have fenced for England with it.

An H2 SX SE pulled out of Cool Covers behind me at lunchtime and behaved himself (mature rider) all the way through the speed limits and out into the country. At my first overtake opportunity (I was in the car) I was gone and expected him to follow me through and finish the queue I couldn't quite manage. How disappointing. The last I saw of him he was still sitting in the traffic. Such a waste of such devastating performance. I was tempted to stop and wave him down and offer to swap...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #158 on: July 08, 2023, 07:50:58 am »
The chain was one of my big concerns but has been a real eye opener. 5 seasons and 30K miles and it's still useable.  I think I've adjusted it about 4 times in that and adjustment is simply loosen 2 bolts, use a large C spanner to move the rear hub on the eccentric cam then tighten up 2 bolts! As easy as checking the corrosion on the BMW final drive! ;)

I do have a ScottOiler fitted and the chain gets cleaned with WD40 and spayed with a can of chain lube when the bike is washed.

Roger had no issues with the seat on his so I think it's "bum specific". The same as I never had an issue with a K1?00S seat, doing 600+ mile, 12 hour days where some did have problems,  but found Brian's Sargent seat absolute torture (way worse than the standard H2 SX seat). For me, the AirHawk on the H2 SX means all day, mega mile comfort. (The H2 SX's didn't need to stop at Bethune on the return run! ;)  )

As for the looks! I agree that the "pointy angular nose" is just plain ugly but the rest of the bike is pretty good and:

A. You can't see the nose when you're riding it;
B. Most others will only get to see the tail as it disappears into the distance.

:D

As offered on the trip, if youd like to try mine, you'd be very welcome,  but make sure your wallet is well stocked as your next visit would likely be the Kawasaki dealer!  :D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 02:25:06 pm by black-k1 »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 10, 2023, 02:02:17 pm »
I actually rather like the pointy bits. I didn't when I first saw it, I've always been a bulbous nose sort of guy (Honda CB900F2C, CBR1000, BMW R1000RS sort of thing) but the angles on the Kwack look good, but only in Kermit green.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #160 on: July 10, 2023, 06:40:31 pm »
I noticed yours and Roger's had slightly different front ends. Face-lift?
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #161 on: July 10, 2023, 07:10:29 pm »
Yes. The 2022 on model has softer lines than the original 2018 on model. I still don't think they could ever be described as attractive but as we all know, you can forgive failings in the looks department if the ride is good and she goes well when asked!  :D

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #162 on: July 26, 2023, 08:50:43 am »
Deposit paid on a 2023 Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE Performance Tourer (to give it the full model designation) to be delivered in spring 2024. :D

I've been a BMW fan since my R100RS in 1983, feeling that BMW are a "quality brand" that make bikes that are great for "getting the job done". I tried various Hondas and Yamahas throughout my riding career and, while they've been fine, I had never found anything that felt as right as the BMWs. The K1300S was, for me, unmatched in the delivery of performance, comfort, practicality, usability and quality (although reliability was always its Achilles Heal.)

Well, Kawasaki has matched or bettered BMW in every way. Compared to the K1300S performance is better, comfort is equaled (with an AirHawk), practicality is better (K1300S owners don't understand under seat storage :D ), usability is as better, quality is better and reliability is significantly better. Compared to the current BMW offerings (R1250RS/GS, S100XR) the Kawasaki is miles ahead.

I can only assume I am now part of a market segment that BMW are no longer interested in, those who want a "proper" sports tourer. A sports bike that can take hard luggage and carry a pillion.

In deciding on the H2 SX SE I did consider a number of alternatives even if I didn't actually test ride the. The new 'Busa was interesting but doesn't have a hard luggage option. Both the Z1000SX and the GSXS1000GT are interesting but both are outclassed (and out priced!!! :( ) by the H2 SX and the KTM SD1290GT was again in second place but Matts issues on his recent trip confirmed that, for me, the SD1290GT was second, not first, choice. Add to that my carbon wheels will not fit anything else! :D

I'll hang on to my 2019 H2 SX until next summer as Mark, my Australian friend, will be in the UK next year at the time of the Old Gits trip and will need a bike to borrow. After that, I'll probably be looking to move it on.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 26, 2023, 03:12:09 pm »
David, having just read and responded acidly to, a post about BMW dealers not bothering to answer the phone and not having seen anything in your Kawasaki ownership updates about the dealers, I wonder what your experiences have been like.

I have been more than impressed with your being impressed with the Kwak, especially some of the things that might, on initial look, put a K owner off buying one, other than price that is; chain life and lack of problems therewith, quality of finish so far, performance and comfort etc.

So come on, tell all, from initial approach when you showed interest, through the sales process, how they treated you when it came time to service the beast, any recalls or warranty work needed and so on.

For me, the big let down with my 12 years of K ownership, even more than reliability and quality of finish, has been the lack of enthusiastic support from dealers when things go awry.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #164 on: July 26, 2023, 05:13:24 pm »
The BMW dealers definitely feel more "up market". with the plush showrooms, nice coffee machines lots of space to walk between the bikes etc. but the service I have received from Orwell Motorcycles in Ipswich has been just as good. With the exception of what they suggested the cost/time needed for fitting the impact protection film, I don't feel in any way that I've been either ignored or ripped off. They answer my questions quickly and efficiently, deal with the bike professionally and offer things like loan bikes and winter servicing deals.

The sales team were happy for me to test ride the bike I wanted for as long as I wanted with no more than the usual insurance declaration. I was kept informed throughout the purchase process and the bike was ready for collection when I wanted. With the new bike, they offered me the best deal compared to other dealers, as I was an existing customer. The desk I sat at to sign documents was smaller and more cramped than it would be in a BMW show room but it didn't make the experience any worse.

Servicing has cost pretty much the same as the cost of servicing both my K1300Ss. With 7500 miles between services there are fewer services than on the BMW. The big valve and supercharger check service is slightly more painful than the one on the BMW, but not by much. The cost of parts also seems pretty comparable with BMW.

As for recalls, there have been three as I remember it. All have been done by the dealer as quickly (or slowly) as I wanted them done. The only one that caused me frustration was the re-flash of the ECU but that was only because I'd had it flashed outside of the Kawasaki dealer network to remove the Kawasaki imposed neutering.

The dealer has been happy to fit non-standard parts such as revised gearing sprockets, carbon wheels and a Scott Oiler. Again, no issues and no suggestion of any implications in relation to the likes of warranty.

All in all, I've been perfectly happy with the dealer experience. As good as BMW.

With regards to price, I don't disagree that it's a lot of money but I think we need to be realistic when comparing with BMW. If you allow for inflation then both my current bike (2019) and the one I'm just about to purchase are less than 5% different to the cost of both my K1300S Sport (2013) and my K1300S MotorSport (2016). I'd suggest that if BMW still offered a K1300S it would be, give or take a few pounds, the same price.

Finally, as for finish, there's no competition. The Kawasaki has the better finish that has lasted much longer than the BMW.