Author Topic: 30 and 70  (Read 5593 times)

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
Re: 30 and 70
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 07:15:34 am »
When you get to a certain age (past retirement) the only speed you need to highlight is 40mph.
Down here in the south east they all seem to go that speed, even in a 30 zone.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 08:18:41 am »
I think it must be the same everywhere. It infuriates me to be overtaken by them in a 30 when I sailed past them effortlessly a mile or so earlier in a 60. I just hope I reach that certain age long past retirement!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 01:25:55 pm »
Believe me, it has absolutely nothing to do with age. It is a combination of poor training and the dreadfully inadequate policing of our roads and the fact that almost all plods can't be bothered to stop folk for anything other than speeding.

I am sick of calling the non-emergency number to report police cars in front of me following cars with dead lights, doing nothing. Zilch! Car turns off, plod drifts on back to the station for tea and medals. Too much hassle I guess, paperwork on top of paperwork.

Other driving 'norms' that are a disgrace are rear-view mirrors angled down so the driver can see the precious ones in the back seat (how sweet), drivers braking every time a vehicle comes the other way even on straight and wide roads, brake lights flashing constantly as cars approach even the slightest bend, on the way in, on the apex (which doesn't exist at the stupidly slow speeds these eejits drive) and even on the way out, hands on the wrong side of the wheel while cornering (no wonder so many cars go out of control when drivers have no leverage or micro-control over the steering), driving on dip at all times at night so following cars have no idea of the road ahead, drivers spending more time looking at their passenger than the road ahead, cars trying to 'push' me over the speed limit in 30's and 40's (that always works doesn't it), folks waiting till the car ahead of them at traffic lights pulls away before they realise the lights have changed.....

The average road user has absolutely no idea of the abilities of the car they are driving, no concept of the rules of the road and certainly not the courtesy of the road; hell, even police drivers are taught to acknowledge other road users who let them out at junctions. Bring in mandatory re-tests for all road users and do it now!

Ha zoos! What a bloody old grump I am turning into  :o

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 01:30:03 pm »
Clearly, you're not alone, Brian. When I read your post to my wife, she thought that I had written it!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 01:56:57 pm »
Rest assured that Kelly (MW) had that same impression, she even added the it was very moderate and polite.
Grumpy yes they made us. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Bruno

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 04:22:28 pm »
You took the words out of my mouth Brian!
If at first you don't succeed then skydiving definitely isn't for you.

Steven Wright

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 05:54:05 pm »
Ditto Brian.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 10:08:25 pm »
So, forget the basic driving test, none of us could do that shite!

But....

How many of us think we could make a fist of an advanced test, and before you bother, all you IAM/RoSPA types are banned. Literally!

I'm in, I reckon. Although it might need an hour or so brushing up on the highway code nadgery bits; well, things have changed a little since 1964  :(