Author Topic: Corrosion whinge  (Read 6139 times)

Offline stevel

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Corrosion whinge
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2019, 09:47:08 pm »
The rear hub is simple to get off, but preparing it for powder coating will be a nightmare. You’d need to split the drive having drained it of oil. Then you’re going to have to remove 4 bearings the axle seal, pinion gear and the rubber bush at the torque arm linkage.

Then it needs carefully masking off so as not to coat any bits that shouldn’t be (like the insides). Powder coating itself shouldn’t be too costly - £80-100 I’d guess.

Then you need new bearings....
2 of them are cheap - around £8 each. The pinion bearing will be more like £30, whilst the needle roller bearing on the axle is nearer £50. If the main crown bearing also needs replacing, add another £40.

After installing the pinion bearing, you need to adjust the backlash between it and the crown gear - new shims may well be needed for that, only available from BMW, cost unknown.

A new axle seal will be £25 or so. The rubber bush should be cheap but installing it will be painful.

And of course, it’ll be £18 for a litre bottle of gear oil. That you’ll use 180ml of.

All in all, it’s quite an undertaking.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2019, 10:02:42 pm »

howlindawg

« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2019, 10:14:00 pm »
For the rear bevel drive I'd be inclined to try to get matching paint mixed up to avoid the need to strip and rebuild.
Paint won't be as durable as powdercoat but it should last a decade if done properly.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2019, 11:11:02 am »
But I like a challenge 😙

Well, if you must, the first step is to get yourself a copy of the RepROM, the BMW K12/13 Workshop Manual and all will be revealed.