Author Topic: Blow-in from the Cotswolds.  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Radcoor

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
Blow-in from the Cotswolds.
« on: May 07, 2018, 10:52:45 pm »
Hi All.

Very new to using forums...I’ve just got myself a 08 plate K1200S! I’ve been lusting after one of these for so long! I’m now a very happy man! After reading lots of very negative and very positive reviews, is there anybody out there that can give me a more balanced, non biased view of this machine?

Thank you,

Gianluca.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: Blow-in from the Cotswolds.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 10:57:45 pm »
Welcome!

And over to Brian, who has owned one of each.

Not sure anyone else has owned both models, but if so, now is the time to impart your wisdom!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 05:38:41 am »
Hello and welcome.

The K1200S is a good bike. It's well put together, goes well, stops well, handles well, is all-day comfortable and (for it's size) is pretty efficient on fuel. Only a "wooden" feel to the brakes and handling stop a good bike being a great bike.

BUT

It also suffers from a number of questionable design choices and poor component quality. Issues with powered brakes (if yours has those), radiator, fuelling/airbox, coils and of course switches all make for potentially frustrating and expensive ownership.

Keep on top of servicing and maintenance, take out an extended warranty and enjoy the fun when you twist the grip and the horizon suddenly starts rushing towards you.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Eyore

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Lots of Polish. Titax levers. GPR end can.R&G Protectors, carbon fibre bling, Tom Tom mount,daytime led lights.Low seat.Oberon clutch slave cylinder.Airblade DB screen,fender extender.Michael Dunlop sticker.
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 09:05:29 am »
Welcome to the forum. They are great bikes if you get one that wasn't built on a Monday morning. I have had mine now for about 14 months and its behaved its self and I have no regrets whatsoever.
The fastest Pizza delivery bike in the west.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 09:16:09 am »
And that from the man, David, who not only has had both, but who 'forced' me to ride his K13S in Spain for a day while he reminisced about the 'joys' of riding an identical K12S to his original.

So, can I give you a non-biased view? No!

I owned a K12S for five years. It had all the deadly issues such as needing new throttle bodies, new airbox and Idle Control Valve as well as flaking paint etc.

I now own a K13S. It has the hot-start issue.

So, I am biased. If you want a non-biased view, you won't find it in an owner's forum. Go to Ash on Bikes and read what the great, sadly late, Kevin Ash said about both of them. He was the single biggest reason that BMW pulled the launch of the K12s back in 2004, recalled all the bikes to Germany (except mine) and did a major rework before the re-launch in 2005. His test ride report says it all, bar the bit about finish as the bikes he rode were all new.

When I spent a couple of hundred miles on Davids' K13S, to me, the difference was chalk and cheese.

Perhaps chalk flavoured cheese because the best bits of the K12 were still there in the K13, but the grin on my face is still there whilst the rather disappointed look on David's face at the end of the day said it all. We both agreed that the killer differences were the wooden chassis and imperfect fuelling on the K12. And this despite my bike being one of the better fuelled K12's. As an aside, Martin's (fjtwelve) K12S was one of the worst I have ridden but is now transformed with a remap.

The relish to go with the cheese was, in the case of the K13, a superb chassis compared to an OK one on the 12, with masses more feel and a much better ability to put the bike exactly where you want it.

When we swapped bikes at the coffee stop, it was as if someone had taken my beloved, but rather careworn bike (which it most definitely wasn't, it was immaculate) and suddenly fixed all the little niggles. New bearings, better tyres, sweeter handling all round. But, of course, most of the bits were the same bits, it's just that the chassis comes alive and the brakes don't have that brick-wall servo effect which I still miss but which detracts from the feel of the stoppers. Things like the shift assist are nice to have and fun to exercise but it is the basic package which is so much better.

Now for the pickle! In my case I was in one and the rest of the trip was spent desperately trying to convince myself that the differences were tiny and the outlay on a newer bike not worth the money or the bother.

Six months later I found my K13S and now every ride is a little bit like that day in the mountains on David's bike.

Brian (who will always hate him for 'making' me ride his K13S but is grateful every day I ride it that he did so  8) )

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2018, 09:45:43 am »

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2018, 09:50:30 am »
It would be interesting to see what TomL has to say as he has had both bikes and knows them inside out.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2018, 09:55:13 am »
Ash on Bikes link:

http://www.ashonbikes.com/bmwk1300s

I applaud you. I couldn't be arsed....

Offline Radcoor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2018, 10:54:19 am »
Thanks for that. Very helpful, especially from you Brian...