Author Topic: oil filter  (Read 3089 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
oil filter
« on: January 11, 2019, 08:59:05 pm »
Jvisited Linds in Welwyn Garden City to get  oil filter £16.15.
Mahle filter from Opie £8.95.

Whats going on here. As I understand it Mahle stuff is quality stuff?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: oil filter
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 10:33:00 pm »
Of course, but you are not getting the genuine article so I doubt if a non-BMW oil filter will catch all those nasty bits of BMW engine and gearbox sloshing around in yer filthy oil Ron  8)

I'd definitely pay twice as much... :)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2019, 11:19:29 pm »
I did pay that less my discount.
So you wouldn't use a K&N filter.
Would you use a K&N air filter? Wouldn't the same argument apply?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 08:53:02 am »
Of course, but you are not getting the genuine article so I doubt if a non-BMW oil filter will catch all those nasty bits of BMW engine and gearbox sloshing around in yer filthy oil Ron  8)

I'd definitely pay twice as much... :)

Does that mean if you use any non-OEM parts in the engine you'll need two oil filters? A genuine BMW one to catch the BMW specific debris and a cheaper one to catch the non-BMW debris? :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 09:56:44 am »
Absolutely.

And if some of those non-OEM parts are of Italian origin...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 09:57:56 am »
I did pay that less my discount.
So you wouldn't use a K&N filter.
Would you use a K&N air filter? Wouldn't the same argument apply?

I would be perfectly happy with any well-known non-BMW oil or air filter in my bike. I run K&N's in the airbox as it is.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 12:47:22 am »
Jvisited Linds in Welwyn Garden City to get  oil filter £16.15.
Mahle filter from Opie £8.95.

Whats going on here. As I understand it Mahle stuff is quality stuff?
Mahle are a good make.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 09:35:45 am »
Even though Mahle are a good make I think we can assume that if you have the extended warranty and use a Mahle filter instead of a genuine BMW filter your warranty would be void if you need to make a claim while the Mahle is fitted. You know what insurance companies are like, any excuse not to pay out.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 10:52:00 am »
Depends. If the Mahle filter meets the BMW specification it would be hard for them to argue.

Not having the warranty I have no idea what it actually says about the use of service items. If it says 'BMW Original Parts' then that is what must be used.

Out if warranty I would be perfectly happy with something like Mahle. I've used Mahle pistons (which is all I thought they ever made  8) ) in competition engines many times down the decades and if it is good enough for F1 etc then it is good enough for me.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 01:26:23 pm »
Warranty booklet is at the bottom of this page, for future reference. It may be useful for folks considering it, to see what it covers.
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/service/warranty.html

...you must keep your motorcycle in an efficient and road worthy condition and regularly service it in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendations and genuine parts,  or parts of equivalent specification must be used.

My emphasis.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 03:37:08 pm »
Detail. Devil. Etc.

So, one wonders quite how one discovers the specifiation for the OEM oil filter?

Also, 'equivalent specification' could give an arsy insurer an out if the spec were BETTER than rather than equivalent to... :o

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 09:00:37 pm »
Some on the FB K1300s page say the Mahle is the same filter as the OEM.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 09:32:24 pm »
Some on the FB K1300s page say the Mahle is the same filter as the OEM.
Yeh but try telling that to BMW in the event of a dispute in a warranty claim, if it doesn't have BMW stamped all over it, it's not OEM

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2019, 10:35:37 am »
K&N is no much for a DNA . On the oil filters all will do the job , the OEM ones will manage to withhold smaller bits as this was the special requirement that earned the contract to MANN filters, if you open one you will find an extra screen filter with very tiny holes. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2019, 01:08:40 pm »
Thanks for that info Costas.