Author Topic: Usb charger and canbus  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
Usb charger and canbus
« on: August 05, 2020, 09:22:10 am »
I believe the K1300S DIN socket shuts off after a short while (how long?) I want to get a plug in usb charger to top up my intercom while stopped for a quick break.
Do any of the 'BMW compatible' chargers have canbus triggers to keep the socket alive?
Or maybe I'll get a hard wired socket and stick it somewhere, maybe find room under the seat.
Anyone done any of this?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Usb charger and canbus
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 09:38:12 am »
I use a Fuzeblock under the seat to power all my accessories, available from Nippy Norman.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 10:18:47 am »
On both of my K1300Ss I fitted a "normal" power socked to the small inner fairing pannel at the base of the mirror on the left side and "hard wired" it, with in line fuse, to the battery. It stayed live all the time, I could easily feel power to extra devices on the handlebars or in a tank bag. It was very useful for charging phones, MP3 players or anything else. Cost peanuts and I got a socket with a weather cover so it never gave any problems.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 11:28:05 am »
I have always used the Optimate SAE charging lead fitted directly across the battery (it comes with a fuse holder and fuse in the line).

This way I have one cord to put power into the battery from the Optimate and the same lead to get power out of the battery either on the move or stationary.

On the Honda I needed to run/charge my camera so I bought a simple charger socket that plugs directly into the SAE lead with weatherproof connectors and I just stuck it to the tank with a lump of 3M sticky pad (neater and more permanent solutions are available and indeed it came with tie-wraps and screw fitting holes but no fittings).

On the K I have a bloody great car-type charger socket fitted in my tank bag which connects to the SAE lead with a twin charger plugged into the other end and then out to the camera etc.

I think the Optimate solution is the quickest and simplest way to go; no holes, no fairing removal and easy to get to the fuse under the battery cover in an emergency.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 11:50:50 am »
All good suggestions, thanks.
I've thought again, will take my power block with me on tours; it should have plenty of life for a day recharging the phone and headset.

Offline davidll

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2020, 07:53:48 am »

Can anyone post a image of a Fuzeblock install on a k1300s. Trying to work out where to stick mine :-X

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 08:08:18 am »
I can't help with the S but on the GT it went on top of the battery. The Fuzeblock is not very big there must be somewhere to slip it in I used self adhesive velcro.