Author Topic: Manchester BMW motorad not very good at all  (Read 6438 times)

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
Manchester BMW motorad not very good at all
« on: July 10, 2016, 07:48:17 pm »
Well we are now in Spain and Phil had is k13gt serviced at Manchester and recalls done a week before we came away one of the recalls was the rear hub, got to Salamanca and the back wheel locks up all the disk bolts are loose and one has come out and hit the ABS sensor ripping the 6mm bolt out of the rear drive hub with part of the housing , also braking the ABS sensor, we need to get to Faro for Tues so what would you do.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 07:51:12 pm by TomK1300s »
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Manchester BMW motorad not very good at all
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:57:06 pm »
Does he have BMW warranty?
If he does they will get it sorted and pay expenses. If he doesn't then it's deep doggy doos.

Offline kennyc

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200GT 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 10:05:20 pm »
Does he have BMW warranty?
If he does they will get it sorted and pay expenses. If he doesn't then it's deep doggy doos.
I would expect the dealer who last worked on it to be in the deep doggy doos! any damages should be chargeable back to them.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:09:39 pm »
You are quite right but that wont get him out of the hole he is in at the moment.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 10:57:34 pm »
Bloody hell . Sorry for to hear that.  :(
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 11:30:09 pm »
Make do and ride it. Take it back to Manchester BMW Motorrad when you get back home.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

gibbo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 10:51:10 am »
Sounds like negligence on the part of the dealer. Another f***wit with no idea.  >:(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 11:58:50 am »
Effin apprentices again with no oversight! Although, of course, it was a bloody great oversight  :(

I must say, and I imagine I am unique in this, that I always slacken my wheel bolts after it has been anywhere other than my back yard where they have touched the damn things. Back up with my torque wrench and then I can rest assured they are OK. (Nearly lost a car wheel once after having tyres fitted and have never trusted anyone to do em ever since!)

So now I have to start checking my bloody disc bolts too!

If it has taken part of the face plate off the rear hub then a little judicious plastic metal type stuff might get it moving and off to somewhere to get it fixed. I would be careful about bits inside though if it has ripped part of the cover plate off to the extent where the gasket/'O' ring is breached.

Continental recovery and hire car at the worst!

One assumes you have many piccies of offending items and mileage readout!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 12:54:15 pm »
Torque wrench key everywhere , never trust muscles. 
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 02:11:24 pm »
...but this isn't true for me on my car!

Most car tyre fitters use an air-gun to tighten the wheel bolts/nuts! If your average 6 stone weakling tried to use the on-board tools to change a wheel, (assuming a) the car had a spare wheel and b) they knew where it was and how to change it  :o ) they would really struggle.

SWIMBO and I both have an extendable 90degree wheel wrench with assorted sockets for most cars, a little like a breaker bar in operation.

I always extend the handle, slacken each bolt in turn, then retract the handle and tighten the bolts as far as possible with the lower leverage of the short handle. This way, I can always slacken the bolts with the handle extended and more to the point, so can SWIMBO although she would need to call out the brekdown service to lift the spare out of the wheel well in the boot  :o

On the bike, it's a torque wrench for everything except the fairing bolts and the nut that holds the handlebars  ::)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 02:58:03 pm »
...but this isn't true for me on my car!

Most car tyre fitters use an air-gun to tighten the wheel bolts/nuts! If your average 6 stone weakling tried to use the on-board tools to change a wheel, (assuming a) the car had a spare wheel and b) they knew where it was and how to change it  :o ) they would really struggle.

SWIMBO and I both have an extendable 90degree wheel wrench with assorted sockets for most cars, a little like a breaker bar in operation.

I always extend the handle, slacken each bolt in turn, then retract the handle and tighten the bolts as far as possible with the lower leverage of the short handle. This way, I can always slacken the bolts with the handle extended and more to the point, so can SWIMBO although she would need to call out the brekdown service to lift the spare out of the wheel well in the boot  :o

On the bike, it's a torque wrench for everything except the fairing bolts and the nut that holds the handlebars  ::)

Undoing a car wheel nut with "on board" tools should never be a problem for anyone, even 6 stone weaklings. You have a tonne and a bit of car, how much more leverage do you need?

You can propbably only do one nut at a time but put the bar/wrench on the bottom wheel nut with the handle just touching the ground and pointing forwrds for off side wheels (UK) or backwards for near side wheels. Start the car and drive it 2 or 3 inches in the direction the wrench was pointing. The wheel nut will now be loose enough for anyone to undo. Move the car so the next nut is near the bottom of the wheel and repeat. Once all 4 (or 5 if you're posh!) nuts are loose, jack the car up.

Getting the spare out of the boot or the flat back in again I can't help with.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 04:13:53 pm »
Perfect instruction to women drivers, will forward post to my wife of its OK with you.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 06:16:52 pm »
Your on board wrench is obviously longer than either SWIMBOS or mine and having watched someone attempting this in a car park some years ago I was horrified to see the unattended wrench fly off the bolt and assault the nearest car as soon as they tried to move it!

I reckon 50% of folks on the road wouldn't have a clue which way to point the wrench to undo the nut  and even fewer would know how to use the jack or where to put it ::) Still, all good fun as long as it isn't me!

As for the spare in the boot, when Sheila bought her car I moved her tools and stuff into the wheel well and made sure she knew how to get at stuff, even in dim light, cos I'm like that. When I tried to get the jack out of the hidey hole it was secured in, there was no way on God's little green earth that I could remove it.

We took it back to the main dealer and asked the nice salesman who had sold it to her if he could help. 'Certainly madam!' and off he went to show us how. Ten minutes later and having dragged the service manager out to demonstrate how it should be done, (and he having failed, despite resorting to the owner's manual) one of the techs came out with a bloody great screwdriver, popped it out after a bit of a grunt, then pulled a Stanley knife from his pocket and cut off a sliver of plastic from the offending cassette!

Simples!

Offline Blobby

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Fuel filler mod
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 07:04:06 am »
Normally discs are torqued with thread lock I would have thought and every garage I have visited recently have used a torque wrench to do up wheel nuts following the use of and air wrench.

We're not allowed to change a puncture on our vans because of the legalities of ensuring the wheel nuts/bolts are torque up correctly, the AA have to change ours.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 06:18:48 pm »
DPD ditto, unless you are DPD!