Author Topic: HID  (Read 2552 times)

Offline Bikerjim

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300s
HID
« on: April 06, 2015, 05:45:55 pm »

Anyone done HID on the K1300s

I did both my GS as the lights were pekin slap but not bothered on the k as it seems ok. However after a dim wit pulled out in front of me I'm thinking HID.

any one don it and which kit did you use?

Jim

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: HID
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 06:13:26 pm »
Cheap chinese kit donated by a well-wisher who had one set left over.

I have it in my left main beam and a Philips X-treme +100 in t'other side and in the dip. Normal gives instant light, HID gives better light, by far, far and far again!

On the S the whole shebang fits between the headlight shell and the reflector so no holes, no wires hanging out and no-one knows.

Brian (who loves a big main beam as much as a freebie; thanks dear benefactor  ;D )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 06:16:34 pm »
Someone had to start the HID saga again. Well done. We had forgot about it.
Have not install them but from memory many have and are happy with the mode. There was a big discussion on old forum about kelvin (6000,7000,8000), and installation procedures like putting the ballasts outside and securing them with silicon when others put them inside the headlamp behind the reflectors, others talked about how to drill the holes in the plastic caps, and some were asking if they are canbus compatible, they are.
Avoid installing in the high beam cause the delay from the ballast will effect it.
As long as they pass MOT and the installation is done by a skilled electrician no issues are expected.
We had found in that passed discussion that all were made in China and the difference was the retail price depending on who sells them.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 06:19:23 pm »
Brian's choice to put in his high beam the +100 is just perfect.
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 06:22:52 pm »
I have the 6k Kelvin, not blue at all. The combination of HID and Normal in the two mains gives the best of both worlds.

Brian (whose kit needed absolutely no electrical skills as all connections were foolproof, handed and conneced diectly into the feed to the original bulb(s), no soldering, crimping, taping, Scotch Lok'ing or anything else  ;D )

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 06:24:35 pm »
You might also want to consider
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-led-running-lights.html

http://www.bikevis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1059.0

Take a look at both of these links the second one are pictures of my bike I also have LED side lights which help no end.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 06:28:43 pm »
Aha the led lights. As said before Schrodie under the side badges led are perfect.
The bikevis which I had before are also great.
So its just a matter of taste.
Hey Brian which HID kit you have? that easy to install is very tempting.
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 07:02:14 pm »
I fitted HIDs to my K1200S and it is very easy to do now because slim ballast kits are readily available. Buy 50w rather than 35w and 6000K is a good daylight colour. I think that it is slightly blue but it does get noticed.

I think the the K1300S and K1200S require the same kit and I used the cheapest car kit that I could find on ebay which came direct from China. I bought a 50w H7 slim ballast 6000K kit.

To further improve the situation I fitted a Philips Vision Plus H7 to the high beam
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.