Author Topic: BMW Alarm on K1300S with RDC (TPMS)  (Read 14598 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
BMW Alarm on K1300S with RDC (TPMS)
« on: February 15, 2016, 02:38:40 pm »
Being a dork and having spent no more than 2 seconds peering under the seat of my new K13 before buying it, I 'ass u me d' that the black box under there was an alarm.

WRONG

It is in fact the Schrader Electronics RDC (TPMS) unit.

Now, my mate has an S Sport with both alarm and RDC and his alarm unit is under the rear of the seat, just like my alarm on my K12S, in the same place that the K13 RDC unit is located!

So, two (at least) questions...

Firstly, where is his RDC unit located?

Secondly, where would my Alarm unit fit if I buy one?

Thirdly, does it mean re-locationg my RDC if I fit an alarm?

Brian the dork (who is well confused  :o )

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: BMW Alarm on K1300S with RDC (TPMS)
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2016, 03:30:23 pm »
I refuse to answer this question to any BMW owner.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 03:45:00 pm »
The alarm is fitted in the same box and then that same box has diferent  name. They should give you back the old single box as a gift. The new one installed would be ALARM and TPM unit and have two exit ports.
Inside you will find the batteries to be changes every 5 years.
Bikes without any of those boxes (sinle or douple port) do exist. In that case the RDC is part of the ECU unit (bike has diferent specs new version ECU unit). Assuming that it's a factory RDC.
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2016, 04:11:35 pm »
Confused, I am now!

My 12 has an alarm that looks like an alarm, with a big sounder on the top surface.

My mate's K13 has the same unit. They both have 2 moulded 'sockets', but both have only the left hand one connected to the bike.

My 13 has this Schrader box with one socket and only one 'Plug' on the loom.

Neither bike has a 'spare' connector on the loom waiting to be plugged into something.

So, does the same connector do both functions?

Brian

Offline slparry

• View Profile
    • My webspace
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2016, 05:12:38 pm »
yes as Costas has said Brian it's a dual function black box when the alarm and RDC is fitted .... such is the black magic of canbus systems :)
--

Steve Parry
Sales @ Chester KTM
Oppressed since 1958

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '90 K1 .... '15 R12RT LC LE :D

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2016, 05:47:01 pm »
Brian the 12 has no RDC factory installed only the alarm
13 has the RDC single unit like mine and every body else had leaving factory.
At Alarm installation they will change the single unit with the double port box, introduce alarm to ECU via pc and recalibrate RDC with both wheel TPS'S.  And they should give you the single box back.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Timbox

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 05:53:52 pm »
My K13GT had the same box as the one on your K12 Brian, just alarm, no TPMS
Isnt it Ironic, no its a BMW what dya expect.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 07:39:21 pm »
Sounds like my wallet is going to get an agressive assault!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 08:52:07 pm by Phmode »

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 08:50:47 pm »
220 in euros is the price including installation, programming and reprogramming of wheel sensors.  HERE
Embrace the wind.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »
220 in euros is the price including installation, programming and reprogramming of wheel sensors.  HERE

So I don't get 'dealered' what is the part number and or description of what I need to buy!

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:31:31 pm »
You need thec Control unit for alarm system/RDC 433MHZ s/n 165758544716 and the
Remote control 433 MHZ s/n 265752337407 .
But the alarm would not work unless you take it to a dealer for programming with ECU , even the horn would not work without reprogramming not to mention the RDC.
If you choose to buy an alarm fm other company GT is the brand that works currently with BMW , also makes the 120 OHM Resistor neened for such an  installation.
Embrace the wind.

Offline peterwbaker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 07:51:18 am »
The alarm is fitted in the same box and then that same box has diferent  name. They should give you back the old single box as a gift. The new one installed would be ALARM and TPM unit and have two exit ports.

+1 this is exactly what happened when I added an alarm to my K1300, Peter

Offline Greenman

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: A 2009 my 1300s (maybe the sport model as it has all the options)
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Zumo 550, optimate, rear rack, tail packs, panniers, front and rear R&G axle protectors.
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 08:37:36 am »
I dont know the answer but my K1300s has both, with the alarm added later when I bought the bike.
I think the alarm has to be installed by the dealer to be valid for insurance?

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:22 pm »
Perhaps, but they would never know. Either way, it has to be initialised by the dealer to even work.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 12:09:29 pm »
Good point in UK insurances are charging  according to the type, installation, acredidation of alarm brand, etc. Some time ago insurance charges were explained by a member.
Embrace the wind.