Author Topic: Return of the sports tourer? Well, not quite...  (Read 3402 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Return of the sports tourer? Well, not quite...
« on: April 09, 2021, 08:15:01 pm »
Call me mad, but this new Tuono version has a hint of sports tourer about it:
https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/models/tuono-v4/tuono-v4-4s4v-2021/

It's certainly got the engine for fun, and it's more upright than their racer, plus a hint of a fairing. Maybe more of a K1300R than an S, but at least it's not another adventure bike.

The blurb says it will come with panniers, but knowing the Italians they'll have only have room for a toothbrush, cardit card, undercrackers and a pair of tiny size 7 Ferragamos.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Return of the sports tourer? Well, not quite...
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 07:47:08 am »
That does look quite nice.  If they continue to use their old stock of Futura panniers, as they have with their adv. bike, then those panniers are pretty good.

The market for such bikes, with the Kawasaki Z1000SX and the Suzuki GSX1000F etc. has been slowly increasing.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 08:29:20 am »
Oh! I always like the old Tuono and this looks quite tasty. But if they pointing it at tourer they're going to have to finally find a fuel sensor and room for a fuel gauge!

And maybe change the name. "what bike you riding now?" "Aprilia E5" "E5? I thought everyone had to make e10 now..."

Oh and Tarmac Grey. Ha! And air scoops on the brakes!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 09:18:12 am »
Air scoop brakes? Tch - old hat. I want the 'Higher Right Dutch':
https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/accessories/vehicle-accessories/graphics-design-moto/higher-right-dutch-2h002614/

Oh, and some Windglets:
https://www.aprilia.com/en_EN/accessories/vehicle-accessories/performance-moto/windglets-2s001368/

More seriously, I would need a tank bag.
But I did like my pre-BMW Aprilia a lot.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 10:20:44 am »
The market for such bikes, with the Kawasaki Z1000SX and the Suzuki GSX1000F etc. has been slowly increasing.

Honestly, I don't know what would make the GSXS1000F a (sports)tourer. Just adding a fairing to the naked GSX-S1000 (and leaving all the rest unchanged) doesn't make the F a (sports)tourer. I'd rather call it a "faired naked". I've just sold my (naked) GSX-S1000, and I would call it dishonourable to the K1300S to even start comparing the GSX-S to the K1300S (and the SX). It's not homogeneous as a bike. Too much of several things, but too little of a well thought-of bike.

It doesn't even have a sporty seat position. And I maybe should actually have started by noting that it lacks hard luggage possibilities (and isn't that one of the first things a sports-touring bike should have ?). So it's arguable that it'd not even be a tourer.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 10:35:48 am »
Never mind the luggage, I couldn't be seen riding a bike at my age with only one Higher Dutch. It would make it look like I was still saving up for the other one  :)

I mean, come on guys...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 11:56:56 am »
Hahaha I always knew I was missing something on my bikes and it was a higher Dutch! Right side to be specific, I've got left side higher dutches coming out my ears.

The GSXS1000, my friend has the faired one. Swapped once for an hour or so. Is my memory right that the suspension is much firmer than the K? As you say, felt like a faired naked. The Z1000SX or whatever they call it now though, felt much closer in comfort of suspension.

Anyway. This Aprilia looks nice, I hope it ends up sub 15 grand. Fricking cheap finance is ruining bike prices! :p
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2021, 01:47:42 pm »
It's £15.5k for the non-factory one, so given Aprilia will probably discount it at some point, you will easily get one for £15k.
Or just wait for Norman Nice-Newbike to sell his in October when it goes a bit chilly. They'll be down to £13.5k by then.

Offline armstrongracer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s, KTM 950sm, some racing stinkwheels.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 02:00:58 pm »
Wait a year, they tend to be bought by wealthy sunny day riders. My neighbours V4 Tuono factory has less than 2k miles on the clock, been unlocked and remapped, has carbon Akro also. It's a 2020 bike and he paid £10k for it in the UK.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 03:35:47 pm »
Sheesh. And yeah, nearly new please!

Here's what I've not understood yet. The Tuono was a mental pretend naked whatever thing. Now it's a sports tourer? Or have they split into two models?

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 04:48:23 pm »
The Tuono is one of my favourite looking bikes. Unfortunately it is the size of 125, looks a bit silly with me on it, yet alone two of us with luggage.  :o

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 06:19:19 pm »
Ah, well, it might be a bit small for me too, it's true.

But the pillion seat isn't going to get used. I'd need to buy a K1600 with a backrest plus built-in wool feeding mechanisms in both armrests to gain a pillion in this particular household.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 11:37:40 am »
I have seen a pillion knitting on a Gold Wing decades ago in France. Mind-numbing activity for itchy fingers.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 04:26:59 pm »
It's the faster sports toured for sure but with many many issues with engine and clutch.
Embrace the wind.