Author Topic: Another Newbie  (Read 3352 times)

Offline Yellow Wheels

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200S in White Aluminum/Sun Yellow
  • Modifications and add-ons:: MRA Vario screen
Another Newbie
« on: June 08, 2016, 08:12:52 pm »
Hello all!  I'm collecting a 2008 K1200S this weekend after a long and drawn out wait for the ABS pressure modulator to be refurbished (I'm not buying a 165bhp missile without fully working brakes, thank you very much!).  This will be my first remotely sporty bike, my first inline four (I've only had single cylinder bikes previously), my first "big" big bike, and my third bike overall.  It's a bit of a culture shock after a 48bhp BMW F650, but was time for a change.  I thought I'd end up getting a GS or an RT, but I saw this at my friendly local independent bike shop and fell in love.

Stunning, isn't she? :D  I've always liked the look of the K1200S, but I never imagined I'd own one...

Offline Perbunan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
Re: Another Newbie
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 08:34:13 pm »
Welcome aboard mate, if you haven't already had a test ride your in for a very pleasant surprise !!
Enjoy  ;)

Offline Expo

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300s
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 10:15:14 pm »
Nice bike mate. Welcome to the forum, you'll get alot of info about the bike here. Oh and the bike will put a huge smile on your face  ;D
"Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence."

Offline Devon 1200s

• 2008 k1200s
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200s
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Akrapovic slip on can. MRA screen. Standard BMW sport panniers, SW Motech rear rack, Krauser k5 top box, 55 profile rear tyre, Carbon Fibre rear hugger, Power commander 5
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:34:39 pm »
Hello! I'm new too and waiting for mine to arrive. Mines also an 08, but in blue, black and silver. Can't wait to get on it. I also had an f650 before my vfr. Be sure to post an update after your first ride.
k1200s. 08 plate. Located in Devon.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 08:15:04 am »
Blimey I thought my K was a handfull and I'd done 37 years before I bought mine.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 01:27:00 pm »
Weeeeelll... At age 50 I bought my 1200Gt as a first bike after only ever having done my DAS+license (plus a Vespa 50cc for a year but let's move on...!).

All very straight forward and no problems 500 miles in... Just don't tell the wife the difference between a GT and RT‼️‼️‼️

Roll on summer!

Welcome aboard!

Ox
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 02:18:14 pm »
Welcome aboard,  you bought a ballistic missile in two wheels, unstoppable by anything and unbeatable by all.
In the spirit of the above staement just don't bother to explain to anybody what you've got, in any case thay wont ever be near you to see it.
The bike needs to be looked after by a dependable dealer and up there in Scotland there are some.
Enjoy.
Embrace the wind.

Offline lanerider

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1300r
  • Modifications and add-ons:: All sorts added on and still adding on and on cant see me stopping
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 03:06:41 pm »
enjoy enjoy enjoy  8) 8) 8)
lanerider

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2016, 12:10:52 pm »
Hello Mr Gilroy and welcome to the madhouse that is EuroKClub!

Hope you enjoy the bike when it arrives.

Brian (who thinks a first name might be easier to call you by than Yellow Wheels, nice as they are  8) )

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2016, 04:48:54 pm »
'The wheels on the bike go round and round, round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bike go round and round all day long!'

I'll get me coat!

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2016, 04:50:58 pm »
'The wheels on the bike go round and round, round and round, round and round
The wheels on the bike go round and round all day long!'

I'll get me coat!

Bob
You need to get out more Bob  ;D

Offline Yellow Wheels

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200S in White Aluminum/Sun Yellow
  • Modifications and add-ons:: MRA Vario screen
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2016, 05:53:27 pm »
Thanks for the warm welcome!  I collected the bike today.  It's going to take some getting used to.  Even on its nearest/smallest setting, the clutch lever is too much of a stretch for me (which, combined with the biting point being at the very end of the lever's travel, makes gear changes interesting), and I'm already contemplating bar risers to alleviate some of the strain on my arms, but the engine is silky smooth and it's one hell of a quick machine.  I did test ride it before deciding to buy it, but I'm only really just starting to appreciate what a handful the K can be.

Now the accessorising can begin!

- Chris
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 06:15:20 pm by Yellow Wheels »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2016, 08:53:59 pm »
Fit a decent pair of ajust able levers,I put up with my stockers for years which was a mistake and the good stuff isn't cheap but blimey what difference it makes on your hands.

If you look for secondhand and do a cross reference same as the GS.

As for the riding pos,I go through the same thing every time I've been riding another bike and go back to the K but soon adapt.

howlindawg

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2016, 09:58:06 am »
That looks like a very tidy example.
Love the colour scheme.