Author Topic: Garmin zumo 340LM £129 @ aldi  (Read 12848 times)

Offline bohrio

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Dynamic
Re: Garmin zumo 340LM £129 @ aldi
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2016, 07:04:24 pm »
Thanks, its ordered now.

I am not sure whats the purpose of the 10-30v to 5v adaptor (besides the voltage conversion). Does it control the unit as well and shuts the power down if after a few seconds or do I need to go for the can bus?

I dont mind using the can bus, just want to make sure before I order it.

To be honest, I might not bother connecting it to the battery, I think the built in battery last over 6 h anyway... there is no place in Ireland I can't reach within 6 hours! lol

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2016, 08:08:11 pm »
Seen one in Aldi Store today Chaddesden Derby if anybody interested ?  It is a good price suggests to me trend moving away from Sat Nav to Smart Phone but hey a bargain is a bargain !
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2016, 08:16:02 pm »
I did the Wrinklies trip with my phone because the Tomtom was back at Tomtom. It managed to get us where we needed to be. The only drawback is the GPS chip can be a bit slow, but they are getting better.

Offline JackSnipe

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2016, 08:24:22 pm »
Rae, They are getting better like you say,  both the Sat Nav and SP are incredible bits of kit way over and above I ever imagined   would be available,  even viewing the world through Spocks eyes !
JS

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2016, 09:04:31 pm »
I have a Galaxy S5 and they are now up to the S7 so I guess they must be better already. I think the S8 if there will be one will be my next phone when I'm due an upgrade.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2016, 09:43:10 pm »
Thanks, its ordered now.

I am not sure whats the purpose of the 10-30v to 5v adaptor (besides the voltage conversion). Does it control the unit as well and shuts the power down if after a few seconds or do I need to go for the can bus?

To be honest, I might not bother connecting it to the battery, I think the built in battery last over 6 h anyway... there is no place in Ireland I can't reach within 6 hours! lol

Don't understand the reference to a voltage adaptor. Where did that reference come from?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated after studying the 340 installation instructions and various YouTube vids....

The 340 does NOT take 12v like some other Garmin head units! The 340 is supplied with a power lead which incorporates a 12v to 5v transformer unit which 'can' be connected directly across the battery! However, I think it 'should' be connected via the CANbus adaptor cable so the transformer is electrically disconnected from the battery when the ignition is off!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All you need is either the sat nav standard harness connected directly across the battery or connected to the canbus adaptor plug wires. The pins and which wire does what are shown in some of the posts in the Sat Nav board!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:09:35 pm by Phmode »

Offline Bandit2beemer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2016, 09:51:10 am »

I saw this post and went straight to aldi this morning and got one, wasnt sure if they would have them in Ireland so I went there anyway and there it was! So thanks for the heads up :)

I will buy a RAM mount from motorcycleparts, I think this one is the preferred one as it allows you to reach the GPS better as well as is less of a distraction from the road... not sure how wind will affect it though, I will have a look now and see

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-K-1300-S/Navigation-and-Communication/GPS-Mounting.html

The other option is this one, nice as well

https://www.motorcycleparts-hornig.com/BMW-K-1300-S/Navigation-and-Communication/GPS-Mounting-upper-fork-crown.html

Need to have a look at my battery compartment and see how it fits, from reading this I believe i need to use the can bus connection.

I bought the one that fits the bar it's a bit expensive but was delivered within 3 days .

Fitting it all to the bike is a bit fiddly and I went with the cambus connector from motor-works as it powers off after the ignition is turned off.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:49 am »
It doesn't turn off straight away, it stays live for 1 minute.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 11:19:49 am »
Well, that depends which wire you connect to.

From memory, 1 = Earth, 2 = Off with ignition & 3 = Off with ignition with 1 minute delay (which seemed to vary from tome to time on the 12!

The big downside for me with using the canbus connector is that the Garmin will turn on with ignition, then turn off and back on again when you hit the starter. Connecting directly across the battery stops it doing that so you don't lose the routing info when you leave e.g. a fuel stop and have no idea which way itusat the next three roundabouts   ::)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:22:47 am by Phmode »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2016, 11:48:26 am »
I think Brian that the unused wire is a speed pulse or some other function for the BMW GPS unit that is not used for other units.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2016, 11:50:46 am by raesewell »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2016, 02:43:06 pm »
See the stuff in the Google drive Rae.

http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php/topic,83.0.html

I assure you that the third wire is a delayed off!

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2016, 04:47:45 pm »
See the stuff in the Google drive Rae.

http://www.eurokclub.bike/index.php/topic,83.0.html

I assure you that the third wire is a delayed off!
OK  :-\

Offline bohrio

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300R Dynamic
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2016, 06:30:45 pm »
Thanks, its ordered now.

Don't understand the reference to a voltage adaptor. Where did that reference come from?

All you need is either the sat nav standard harness connected directly across the battery or connected to the canbus adaptor plug wires. The pins and which wire does what are shown in some of the posts in the Sat Nav board!

Sorry for the late reply Brian

I was making reference to the voltage because I wasnt sure if the can bus adaptor already had a 5v output cable built in (which after looking at the diagrams it doesnt). The reason why I said it is that, if the voltage was already at 5v then the power converter was not necessary which would mean buying a 5 volt garmin cable (if there are any) or any mini usb cable and then make the modifications myself.

I will order a can bus adaptor although I am still not 100% sure I will be using the cable since this will mean that the cradle will have to remain on the bike all the time, unless I cut the cable and put an connector in between to allow me to remove the cradle whenever I want, could be an option.

Thanks again all of you guys.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2016, 10:13:07 pm »
I'm really confused now Alex ::)

Does the 340 not run off 12v like all the other Garmins I've had? You simply stuff 12v in via the cradle leads (either directly off the battery or via the canbus lead or the 12v out socket) and the Garmin internal electrics take care of the 12v - 5v conversion.

Updated after studying the 340 installation instructions and various YouTube vids....

The 340 does NOT take 12v like some other Garmin head units! The 340 is supplied with a power lead which incorporates a 12v to 5v transformer unit which 'can' be connected directly across the battery! However, I think it 'should' be connected via the CANbus adaptor cable so the transformer is electrically disconnected from the battery when the ignition is off!

If you are thinking of somehow converting the 12v down to 5v and using the mini-USB socket, that won't be waterproof and you could bugger the Garmin. In fact on the 660 you can't even get at the mini-USB without taking the battery cover off which is a design feature as part of the waterproofing of the unit and that is what makes it a motorcycle Garmin as opposed to an un-waterproofed car unit!

I'm obviously missing the point somewhere, especially the bit about removing the cradle.

If you only intend to use the Garmin very infrequently (otherwise why remove the cradle?) then you could make good soldered connections from the cradle harness to the canbus adaptor plug with heat-shrunk sleeves for protection and then disconnect the canbus adaptor plug, harness and cradle as one unit when you don't want it on the bike!

It isn't as simple to remove the battery cover on the R as it is on the S or the GT (3 screws rather than two from memory  ;D ) but that way you could fit or remove the whole thing in a matter of a couple of minutes.

This way you retain total waterproof-ness (  :o ) of the Garmin, don't need a separate 12v - 5v converter and don't need any more cables than the one you already have attached to the cradle and the adaptor cable you have already ordered.

Brian (whose brain hurts so he is taking it to bed with him for a nice long rest  :o )
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:12:27 pm by Phmode »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2016, 10:57:45 pm »
I have a Galaxy S5 and they are now up to the S7 so I guess they must be better already. I think the S8 if there will be one will be my next phone when I'm due an upgrade.

[boring smartphone advice]

The upcoming S8 (and I'm sure there will be one) will cost you 1 arm + leg - probsably £600+.
If you want a high speed Android without busting the bank then consider these:
One Plus 3 - £329 +P&P (https://oneplus.net/uk/3)
Honor 8 - from Three

I've been running OnePlus devices for my last 3 phones. The OnePlus 3 is equiavlwent to the S7 Edge.
They're not perfect, but they're pretty close to it. And very good value for money.

[/boring smartphone advice]