Author Topic: Quieter screen for the K1300S recommendations please  (Read 2481 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Quieter screen for the K1300S recommendations please
« on: April 07, 2019, 09:04:59 pm »
Hi there,

So after my jaunt on the R1200RS and enjoying the quiet time due to the screen, I wonder if I can achieve the same on my k.

I recall Brian mentioning his mutated short legs and long body or long legs and short body all having an impact. So I'm not sure what I've got! 30 inch leg and 5'8 height!

After internetting I see the MRA Vario Touring at two shops, I think the same one. MRA site and Bikehps site.

I also see Wunderlich looking very similar.

Anyway. I guess I'm just trying to de-risk my inevitable purchase of the MRA Vario Touring thing. Which I know is difficult as we're all different sizes, helmets, seating positions and number of kidneys.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Quieter screen for the K1300S recommendations please
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 09:21:45 pm »
The MRA X-creen comes in a clamp on version so you don't have to drill the screen. Very adjustable and small movements make a big difference.

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 09:20:46 am »
I have a MRA X-creen tour spoiler, the model you have to drill holes to fit, measuring up was a bit tricky but worked in the end.
 Adjustment took a while to get it right and had to be adjusted again when I changed my helmet from a system 6 to a Schubert C3 Pro definitely a good addition.
Steve
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 11:32:24 am »
It's long legs and a short body, 5’9.75” (178cm) with 33” inside leg - same height sitting down as 5’5” swimbo.

And even at that diminutive bum-to-head distance, the wind blast on the standard screen is right in my face.

And having just found the bike under a pile of shite in the garage, it isn't even a standard screen, but a dubble-bubble wot-not!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 12:03:50 pm by Phmode »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 08:10:55 pm »
Thanks all. The Vario thing looks similar to the x-creen but apparently doesn't need any holes drilling. So might give that a go.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Martin-k12

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 02:24:55 pm »
Ive got the MRA X-creen touring 'XCT' which is different think its the highest and I love it.
When I changed to it going along my local motorway it has an extra lane overtake section and i overtook like normal thinking due to the lack of buffeting I was doing a respectable speed to look down and see 120.
The XCT screen took my comfortable cruising speed up by 40-50mph. And I'm 6'2" with a 'R' top yoke so sit slightly higher again.
Looks a bit poo on the bike as it sits so high but for comfort its a must....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 10:03:06 am »
...and fuel economy?

Offline Kibo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2019, 11:17:34 am »
I've fitted the mra touring screen ( fixed and blacked out version) and absolutely bloody fantastic...made massive difference for me so totally happy

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2019, 04:40:06 pm »
I thought the double bubble screens were ideal for getting your head down below on the race track, but not so good for normal riding. I had a touring screen with the flap thing near the top, but prefer the standard screen shape for minimal buffeting.

Offline Martin-k12

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2019, 10:34:52 am »
No the small screens are for getting your head behind and minimising wind drag the higher the screen the more comfortable normal riding.

As for fuel economy, no idea but can't see it making much of a difference, air hitting the screen as opposed to my chest....