Author Topic: Two-piece waterpoofs - recommendations?  (Read 5073 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Two-piece waterpoofs - recommendations?
« on: October 07, 2019, 09:44:53 pm »
I have a set of Richa Rain Warrior waterproofs which have given sterling service for a mere £10/annum over the past few years, but the seams have started to leak. Gunking the seams up with sealant didn't extend their life by more than a month or two - and it also looks like an pigeon has done some accurate crapping down each seam. Hey ho.

Can anyone recommend alternatives that can survive monsoons/Wales in winter/Scotland/Wales in summer/just Wales, etc.

I see Oxford Rainseal have good reviews, for example.

I don't spending more, if they last. Rukka have previously been the best, but they ripped quite easily on pegs, etc.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Two-piece waterpoofs - recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 10:47:24 pm »
You could go diving in my BMW 2 piece and the only wet bits would be your face and hands.

Full length submarine zips up the outside of the legs so you don’t do the dance of the drunken spider, hopping around on one leg whilst getting the other in the wrong leg hole.

Jacket has a full-height storm collar with built in cotton hood. This keeps the collar up under the base of the helmet (assuming you take the helmet off and don the hood). You can use it without the hood and it is still almost totally waterproof. Seeingas you normallywear a balaclavayou are halfway there.

The only downside is it is warm and as black as a black thing on black day; no hi- (or even low- ) vis bits to speak of apart from something on the back that I can't see.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 11:10:38 pm »
Ah, I could only see these:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wear/ride/rainlock-wet-weather-suit.html

Is that what you meant?

They look good, bar the lack of adjustment on the arms (they always bloody flap, and block your mirror view)

(I don't want full textile, just the waterproof bit. I like my leathers!)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2019, 09:39:30 am »
No! It seems like they have discontinued them which is a great shame. First my bike, now my waterproofs.

Mine is a BMW Climat Comfort suit.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 09:42:43 am by Phmode »

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 10:35:08 am »
Items ddiscontinued
Embrace the wind.

Offline Steve CH

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2012 K1300S
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2019, 10:45:35 am »
I always found an all in one was the best for really bad weather this is what I am using
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/183707

Steve
Some mistakes are too much fun to make only once

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:36:14 pm »

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:00:41 pm »
The big problem with one piece suits is that putting them on during a journey means the top half of you gets wet while you are struggling to get big boots through badly designed and clingy suit legs and the struggle to shimmy out of them when the sun comes out is just too much struggle for most.

With a two-piece, you sling the jacket on and almost all of you is kept dry while you are hunched over getting the bottoms on. Finish off the jacket and all is well with the world  8)

Also, in on/off rain on a long journey in warm weather, you can leave the trousers on with no discomfort and don and doff the jacket as needed without the constant flapping and overheating...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 03:14:50 pm »
I liked wearing leathers but hated having to decide when to put on the waterproofs.

Too early and it was boil in a bag time. Too late and it was too late. And then having to decide when to stop again and take them off.

The reason why I bit the bullet and went over to Rukkas pro Goretex.

Funnily enough my original oversuit was a Rukka one piece waterproof followed later by Rukka two piece waterproofs.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2019, 03:51:41 pm »
I use Rev It H2O two picece waterproofs. Adjustable velcro on arms, and trouser cuffs and all day waterproof (as tested in September from Verona to Munich!)
Plus you can get Hi Viz or black depending on your preference

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2019, 06:05:21 pm »
I've got a heavy one piece by Bering which kept me bone dry through a monsoon Newcastle to Swindon autumn trip. Yes it's warm and a bit tricky to put on and bulky to pack. Perfect for winter trips starting from the garage.
Also a Dianese two piece set which is a lot easier to get on with, lighter, the one to take just in case. But the jacket flaps like a good'un at 'motorway speeds', blurs my vision a bit. Worth watching out for when purchasing, I should have got something that is tighter over the leather.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2019, 06:32:16 pm »
It's a good point. The Richa set I have are quite hefty, so no flapping. They're also tight - a bit too tight, which may have shortened the seam life (on the arms & shoulders). I'm surprised none have Velcro on the arms, that's my biggest bugbear. Generous arm width is needed to get the suit on, but then you want Velcro to strap them down once your arms are in, otherwise your rear view is severely knackered by billowing waterproofs.

Those Rev'Its look good too. I can see I'm going to have to go and try a load on, whilst sweating cobs.

Keep them coming!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2019, 07:58:54 pm »
I have an Alpinestars 1 piece that fits over my leathers and can be pulled on quite quickly if it turns wet. Probably has done about 30000miles in last 3 years. Ripped the shoulder on a sharp bit of render  and repaired with super glue no problem. Its windproof waterproof only, I layer up with EDZ under the leathers if it's cold. Packs down into a tube that goes in my tank bag. Cost me about £100 from memory. Otherwise best informed staff widest choice is at Motolegends.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2019, 05:29:39 pm »
I've gone half-SteveCH:
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/203789

Violent Orange is probably the best description - as in violently sick.

It's a very lightweight shell with well taped seams, and a storm zip, or whatever you call them. The zip is offset so it doesn't stick into your Adam's Apple.
Having ridden about 120 miles home in them, the arms flap a little at the bicep, but not as bad as other jackets I've had. I may strap them down with a velcro band or two. They're also slightly short in the arm, but that's the owners fault for havng gibbon arms. On a normal person they'd be generous.

It's got a hood that is folded into the collar. Not sure if I really want that - time will tell whether it's a boon or a pain.

They didn't have the matching trousers in my size, but I did have a gander at the BMW Rain Lock ones at Wollastons, and they looked better, with non-slide patches on the bum:
https://www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk/en/wear/ride/rainlock-wet-weather-suit.html

I'll let you know how the jacket performs once I've hit a few proper rainclouds.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2019, 07:28:11 pm »
How about a pair of old fashioned 'whaddumyercallems'? Those things croupiers and waiters wear to hold their sleeves up...same thing we wore as kids to hold our footie socks up! Elastic bands, thats it  8)