Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 135042 times)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #570 on: November 03, 2019, 04:59:05 pm »
Getting a service (time related as only 10k in 3 years) and a new front tyre and an MOT even though it's not due. Collecting Monday due to a combination of this  the mechanics kidney stone and the slight adverse weather over the weekend. Omens? What omens? Better start another thread I suppose

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #571 on: November 03, 2019, 06:14:59 pm »
Better start another thread I suppose

Just let the next owner of your K1200 that he owes us a continuation of the story on this thread!
I mean - we all need to see the magic 100k.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 07:26:05 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #572 on: November 03, 2019, 06:48:58 pm »
Ya wanna see high mileage bikes look here
https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/126374-fjr-mileage-milestones/

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #573 on: November 03, 2019, 07:53:18 pm »
Haha but that's not as much of a challenge is it! :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

gibbo

« Reply #574 on: November 04, 2019, 09:04:18 am »
Ya wanna see high mileage bikes look here
https://www.fjrforum.com/topic/126374-fjr-mileage-milestones/

FJR's are brilliant mile munchers and built to last, but K bikes are not, hence the rarity value of Martin's 12 trying to reach the magic 100K.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #575 on: November 05, 2019, 07:25:21 pm »
Planning to ride up to the NEC show on 19th. Anyone else going to be there that day? Theres an offer on a full Akrapovic system I need to be restrained from. Alternatively tell me i have to do it because you want my end can. Followed by London on 20th for a piss up in Paddington and home via Bournemouth on 21st.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #576 on: November 05, 2019, 11:07:05 pm »
Just buy it but take a good Wolf Net with you to strap it on the back... :D

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #577 on: November 11, 2019, 11:26:24 am »
Congrats on your retirement Martin have a long and healthy one. Well wear with your new K if anyone deserves a new motorcycle you do!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 25, 2019, 04:12:16 pm »
This is a bit picture heavy but anything to keep Brian happy...

Went to the NEC last week on the Tuesday. It was a bit parky on the way up, mostly below 5C all the way and flirting with 0C in places. I stopped at Gloucester services for fuel and a warm up, and was accosted by someone who wanted a K12 or similar as he was getting too creaky for his GSX-R and really liked the look of mine. Did the normal thing and said how mine was still going well at 90 odd thou but the K13 was generally acknowledged as a better bike.

Was able to leave my EnduroGuard jacket and my lid in the cloakroom at the NEC and was pleasantly surprised to find the trousers and my Daytona boots were comfy enough to walk around in all afternoon. Was impressed with the amount of race bikes on show, MotoGP, BSB, WSB. Yamaha put all three in a row which was great for a little bit of anorak detail spotting

A little further along and with very few viewers were some historic Paris Dakar bikes. Built like tractors, 2 wheel drive, monsters. Paper road maps. Even the FZ750 engined one off was there.

I wandered along to the BMW stand and saw the electric proposal but not particularly interested, that style is not my taste. Most of the bikes there I had already seen at Ocean here in Falmouth and even ridden most. A bit later when it was quieter I went back and sat on the new F900XR which felt quite comfortable, and also the 1000XR which still feels like being wedged in a bucket seat.

Unfortunately when I got to the KTM stand I was able to sit on the 1290GT and found I could now get both feet on the ground. Going to have to go for a test ride and put myself off, its no good.

Kawasaki and Suzuki also had plenty of race tackle on display, and there were a load of BSB bike there too

Overall I would say it was a better show than the last few times I've been, but that was partially due to the fact in mid week it wasn't mobbed - retirement benefits  ;D

Kipped at Meriden that evening and the next morning had time to kill so put "no motorways" in the Tomtom and was rewarded with a mostly traffic free trip down to Motolegends in Guildford. Hit 95000 as I was crossing the Oxfordshire border. Cold grey greasy day but I quite enjoyed it.

After trying on a large number of gloves with the main problem being fighting the cuff on the EnduroGuard jacket I settled on a pair of Richa Ghent GTX size 3XL gloves, and a new visor and Pinlock, the latter pair being horribly expensive. Having checked on the net, what the hell has happened to visor prices jeez! My Merlin Titan gloves that I bought in July 2017 have now been pensioned off after 30,000miles. They have lasted pretty well, way too hot in the summer but good for the other 3 seasons. They look a bit tatty now but will do as a spare pair of dry gloves in the bag.

After a night on the piss in Paddington I again put no motorways in the Tomtom and, after a very long trip out of south London, but had a pleasant if damp thus feeling very cold spin across the A31 to Winchester before the long stretch of the A303 and A30. It absolutely pissed down from Exeter with the roads awash on the A30. I turned my heated grips off as I opted for cold and dry over warm and wet, but by the time I got home I couldn't tell either way (they were dry, tick in the box for Richa). The rain had got into my collar so I had got quite cold, confirming that as they say textiles are waterproof but not warm. The Enduroguard suit had kept me completely dry. The top windproof EDZ layer, which I added after the first day, makes a significant difference to the warmth inside. I'm still too fat to fit a down jacket inside, but I'm working on that.

SWMBO has allowed me to spend on a Bikertidy to hang all the clothing on so that's coming next week. I'm off up to Shropshire and back via South Wales so another milestone may roll around. Hopefully if the weather is OK I can take the slower road up the A49. Get the coffee on Brian....
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:14:56 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #579 on: November 25, 2019, 05:55:07 pm »
Martin i’m not Sure if you have my undying admiration  :) or you should get yourself ‘Comitted’ and send me the bil ;D.

Should have bell’d us for a nights kip and i’d Have dropped you off in your civvies went on the first Saturday had a cock up with some gloves went back Sunday all done in well under a hour with tricks of the trade and local knowledge.

Don’t ever see my GT doing 100k but it’s a great thing to ride,the Stand with the Sheen bikes what a conversation I had with the guy on there.......

And until either Triumph build a 1300 Tiger with a big 765 spec motor or Yamaha build a Tenere with the MT10 motor I won’t be buying anything.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 06:09:29 pm by chriscanning »

gibbo

« Reply #580 on: November 26, 2019, 09:42:15 am »
Nice piccies Martin and I enjoyed the read/report. Thanks for sharing.  :) 

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #581 on: November 26, 2019, 11:25:23 am »
Hey Martin, Phmode Barn is always open. Let me know when you are heading out or back and as long as it isn't a weekend the coffee is always on.

It is 16 miles east from the nearest point on the A49 (Hereford), but if you come off at Ross and do the cross country bit to Ledbury it is barely much further than the direct route north.

As far as the water getting down the collar, that is the one HUGE advantage of the BMW suit (no longer available) with the built in storm collar/hood combination. The storm collar is good and warm and tall and with the very thin hood (about as thick as a balaclava or EDZ helmet saver cap) to keep it up without getting in the way of the helmet fitting, you could go swimming without getting water down your neck. Not much use now they have stopped selling it.

Another great item I have in the bottom of the Sport Cases is a Buff WindStopper which, wearing the Buff as a hood and with the neck piece pulled over your waterproofs, does an excellent job of keeping out the cold and the wet.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 26, 2019, 09:04:00 pm »
Sorry didn't see this in time. I had a late start and was already committed to the a49 and no time for a diversion when I saw it. And unfortunately returning saturday with no stopover time available.
I'll be back  as the man said

PS there is a hoodie thing in the collar of the enduroguard jacket I just haven't got around to trying it yet, still wearing a EDZ balaclava
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 09:08:16 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 07, 2019, 04:02:40 pm »
So as you all said never so busy as when you stop work.
Last weeks journey up to Shropshire turned out to be a bit parky

Having stood in the frost for 3 days the battery had decided to take a day off so I had to bump start it. Seeing as the frost was lying in the drive and the lane the back wheel was just sliding along. Fortunately there was a dry bit under a tree in the lane and it caught. After that it was fine and I was able to scoot down to South Wales fairly speedily and there was no problem with the restarts. Cruising home on the M5 in the dark 96000 passed by in the middle of a section where the hard shoulder was coned off so no picture stop. There was nothing to see anyway so heres a picture of Falmouth Bay at sunrise this week instead

The next morning the bike was completely filthy so washing was required. Jet wash followed by MucOff rinsed off followed by Demon Foam Snow Foam and another rinse did the trick. ACF50 painted on all the metal bits and WD40 on the electrics. Lost a few more bits of paint off the front forks. Autoglym wheel cleaner did a remarkable job of shifting the brake dust stains off the front wheel. However I turns out I have lost a couple of the spring washers off the bobbins on the front brake discs somewhere so there's another job to do.][/url]

The sharp eyes amongst you will see I have the standard seat on. Have to say there's a bit more padding than the low seat which I have noticed on the recent long runs.

And then it went in for the 96k service. New air filters, oil change, oil filter, new rear brake pads, new rear PR5 (so 12235 miles on the last one with a bit of life left in in, maybe a 1000 or so, I just felt more comfortable in the sh1te weather with a full depth of tread). And by the way Ocean Motorrad are about to get another manager, Martijn has been tempted away to Bahnstormer at Maidenhead to be the new sales manager.

Beginning to get the feel of the EnduroGuard suit now, lost a bit of the stomach too, so its easier getting in and out of and seems not so stiff. Its still not warm though, even with 3 layers of the EDZ on I still needed a regular hot drink inside me while riding around at 5C and below.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 07, 2019, 05:57:07 pm »
Nice one.

And I think your profile needs updating unless you still go nack to Schipol for old time's sake  8)