Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136308 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #285 on: August 09, 2018, 11:17:34 pm »
We should all be careful for what we wish.

I had a doc's appointment yesterday and got the wee Honda out and me togs on to enjoy the 5 miles of twisty stuff.

The sky was suddenly black and my Dark Sky app said light rain for the nect twenty minutes. Good thought I, the garden needs it, but I tucked the bike away and went in the car. Big sploshes of rain fell before I was off the drive and within a minute the road was awash and I could hardly see the bonnet.

Light rain indeed; if I'd been on the bike I would have drowned in my Airflow jacket. The cloudburst lasted right up to the doc's car park but needless to say, when I got home the ground was as dry as a bone!!!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2018, 11:25:31 pm »
Careful scrutiny of the rain radar and a delayed departure gave me a dry run  from Amsterdam to Calais. However I missed my train by 10 minutes and unusually the buggers made me wait 2 hours before giving me a place. Humph.
Gotta love an English summer though, 10C and p*ssing down as I got off the chunnel. Fortunately the rain stayed in Kent and I had a smooth run up to Shropshire, if a little brisk. At least I didn't have to keep checking the temperature gauge.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2018, 04:57:14 pm »
the buggers made me wait 2 hours before giving me a place. Humph.

Brexit dividend mate, Brexit dividend!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2018, 06:56:40 pm »
Here's another one
Just totted up my receipts and translated them into GBP. One pound sixty seven a litre at the local garage by my Dutch office.
Seriously?!!?

1.39 in Belgium and 1.40 in UK, all for 98 grade.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2018, 07:34:35 pm »
It's only money, you can't take it with you  ;)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2018, 04:37:07 pm »
Just dropped the bike into Ocean Falmouth for the 84000 service and some bits and bobs. They have a 2013 K13R with 1600 miles for sale for 7495 on behalf of a customer.  If anyone's interested it has carbon hugger and lots of other bits, hp rearsets, a slightly  larger screen, crash bobbins, a TomTom, brackets for panniers and i forget what else. Appears to have been inside someone's house except when it came out for MOTs the last 3or 4 years. Needless to say its very clean.  Oh and the number plate starts K13...

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 13, 2018, 06:04:34 pm »
... However I missed my train by 10 minutes and unusually the buggers made me wait 2 hours before giving me a place. Humph....

What makes you take the A11 (I think you do, considering you had a tank stop in Wachtebeke). First take the A11, then arrive 10 minutes too late in Calais? I would never ever considered it to go from Antwerpen to Brugge. Not quicker (than the E17/E40- combination). And it doesn't have the best reputation regarding accidents.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 13, 2018, 10:09:11 pm »
I'm a tom tom virgin. I realised it was taking me a way I had never been before but wasn't really bothered, maybe there were traffic hold ups on the usual route. I wasn't bothered I was late because you have a 2 hour window and  Eurotunnel have always put me on the next trains anyway. I could see signs towards the E17 now and again so wasn't worried.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 21, 2018, 06:41:05 pm »
So last week we had the 84,000 service and a few bits and bobs. The nasty flashing red "brake failure"  light turned out to be the front ABS sensor (£70 odd). The clutch was agreed to be finished and I asked for a quote, hinting heavily that a 1300 one might be better. They pondered if it was running a bit rich after the test ride, maybe the lambda sensor needs a clean. Oil and filter, bevel oil change, and a new tyre (£135 ish plus fitting), that'll be £511 sir thank you.

I'd asked for another PR3, but arrived to find a tractor tyre had been fitted, on closer inspection when I got it home it turned out to be a Road 5 as they apparently couldn't get a PR3.

Anyway I spent half of Saturday and most of Sunday grovelling inside the labyrinthine interior cleaning out muck and bullets from places that hadn't been reached before. I think the repeated ACF 50 application had just cemented several layers on. Thought it looked a bit like an SV650 without the sides on

I discovered as the grime came off that I have acquired a few scratches up both sides of the belly pan. I assume I have been getting too enthusiastic without turning up the preload. So I turned it up yesterday but was getting bounced about by crappy roads too much so turned it down again.

I finally got around to replacing the 2 fairing bolts either side of the radiator that screw into a threaded tube inside a rubber grommet, one each side of the radiator. This has stiffened  up the whole fairing quite noticeably, and the MRA screen is not deflecting as much in motorway turbulence now.

I didn't get all the tank covers off to do everything under there, time and SWIMBO (who had been remarkably tolerant) began to press, but I did brush on ACF 50 everywhere I had cleaned and for once it had time to dry off before being wheeled out into the shite weather. I tried the lambda sensor but the nut was not for turning and I didn't want to knacker it, so left it. All the plastic got a good coat of polish on too, so at  the end it was clean and looked it, and I was filthy, very filthy. Not often I see the bike without the tank harness on

So yesterday morning off we set to Amsterdam, and within half an hour we were all covered in shite again due to the not rain but 99% humidity / mist / low cloud turned all the dust to a nasty shitty spray, as you can see from the crystal clear screen below as another 1000 mile rolled past. And that 24 range turned out to be 23 and a 1.7 mile push. I was already aching from the contortions required to reach inside the inner parts the previous two days. Mondays. Gotta love 'em

The only upside was that the whole bike felt very smooth with all the new oil, and the Road 5 appears to be quite a nice tyre, although I am reserving judgement as I've only done 600 miles on a nice round tyre after several thousand on an increasingly square one. In other news SWIMBO saw a K16 at the showroom and hated the look of it, so looks like a K13 is in the frame for when this one gets to that time.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:44:02 pm by fjtwelve »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 21, 2018, 10:30:28 pm »
I had a car tyre on my rally car that had gurt holes in the tread just like that 5. It exploded within 5 miles...

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 27, 2018, 02:04:15 pm »
So as ever on this forum, help pops up from all sorts of places, clutch men you know who you are, thank you

It appears I may have the oldest surviving original K12 clutch in the known universe

I have contacted John Sykes the clutch doctor referred to on various clutch related posts on here, and a very long string on I-bmw, http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=51004 where John uses fourhundred4 as a forum name, and he has recommended that he rebuilds and modifies a secondhand low mileage K12 clutch for me, substantially cheaper than getting all the K13 parts and mods required to fit a K12. I am waiting for the Ocean BMW quote, but think once I get it, it will be telephone numbers, and I will be asking them to fit one of Mr Sykes' specials.

john.sykes01@btinternet.com
john@vibefreev.com
John Sykes 32 Epsom Way Kirkheaton Huddersfield HD5 0LE United Kingdom
T: + 44 (0)1484 435084
M: +44 (0)7770 772456
www.vibefreev.com 

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 27, 2018, 06:48:35 pm »
A useful telephone number for all sorts of emergencies is 112.

So if it's a £112 you're quids in  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 28, 2018, 08:39:34 pm »
This little fella rode home with me tonIght in between the screen and adjustable blade. I didn't notice him til I was doing 80 down the motorway but slowed down and he hung on til I got back to the flat

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #298 on: August 28, 2018, 08:48:52 pm »
A lucky cricket!

Was your ride home like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjvHcXjAPxI

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #299 on: August 28, 2018, 08:57:28 pm »