Author Topic: laying bike up  (Read 3663 times)

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
laying bike up
« on: September 26, 2018, 12:13:48 pm »
My bike will be laid up for 6-8weeks.
Do I disconnect the battery and leave on the Optimate charger.
I understand a special charger is needed if battery left connected to the bike.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Re: laying bike up
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2018, 01:02:47 pm »
If I was laying up for 6-8 weeks, I'd be tempted to do nothing special, and then charge it up 8 weeks later.
I doubt it will be completely flat.

And as for petrol:
https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp-country/en_au/products-services/fuels/opal-fuel/Opal-factsheet-storagehandling.pdf
"The storage life of petrol in equipment fuel tanks is one month. This can be extended by topping up with one third of
fresh fuel, which restores the volatile components that have evaporated."

You could leave the tank 1/3rd full, and then top it up.

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2018, 02:28:54 pm »
It looks as if I will be doing nothing until I return and deal with matters then.
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2018, 04:27:45 pm »
What's wrong with leaving the Optimate on long term? Or switch it on for a day every 30?
Asking for a friend.....

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2018, 05:06:29 pm »
There is nothing wrong with leaving a smart charger on long term.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2018, 09:54:40 pm »
My bike has had the Optimate on with the battery connected since I got back from the Wrinklies with no problems whatsoever.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 02:47:15 pm »
Do not bother connect the charger and enjoy your drinks by the fireplace.
Embrace the wind.

Offline OxMan

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Just sold my K1300R Dynamic in Racing Red (The fastest colour) - and taken delivery of my Guzzi.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: It's a TT Travel : with panniers; high screen; heated grips; cruise; low comfort seat; top box (!); centre stand; Ohlins; Akra sports can; engine bars; extra front fogs; Caponord mudguard/extended...
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:28:59 pm »
...if I came to pick it up I could ride it a few times for you... 😉 I promise to look after it!
Late emerging biker - took the first bike plunge at 50 with a 12GT : swapped for a 13S 9 months in... then got my mitts on a lovely 2014 13R Dynamic in rrrrrracing rrrrred! Then the COVID came along... so I upped it to France and bought a V85TT... O Sole Mio etc etc!

Offline steviejuk

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Ex K1300S now R1250RS
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2018, 09:26:24 am »
Keep the battery fully charged. If a battery voltage drops to around 11.8 volts, it can be recharged and will work, but its capacity will be permanently compromised - the lower the voltage the greater the capacity reduction. I use a fuel stabilizer product (Putolene). Seems to do what is says on the bottle........

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2018, 09:48:51 am »
What about adding a fuel stabilizer? Is that recommended? Or actually not recommended because of the high octane fuel (97)? I am going to store the bike for 6 weeks between end of January and early March (working abroad).

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:26 pm »
I started my bike yestoday for the first time in 3 months (I know, I know!) and it fired first time and ran perfectly.

Forget about laying up, modern tyres, oils and fuels don't know the difference. As for the battery, I haven't a clue as mine is always on an Optimate.

Offline mab1067

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Titanium / red short levers, Invisible patterns, Modified rack to fit Givi topbox. Large BMW Soft bag.
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2018, 09:13:22 am »
Not laying bike up as such.
However was thinking about removing side panels /  belly pan etc to clean up engine bay and hopefully blow out debris from cooler etc. Any other recommendations. Not long serviced so pads etc all ok. With regards to fastners etc, WD40 ok or should i install with a anti seize product for example. I do normally use AYB twice a year ut thought i would save the cash this year as have a little for the colder days over winter.

Used my 30th Anniversary over last winter every day possible but pads / discs etc all need replaced and regretted the condition it was in.
Mark Barbour

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2018, 10:09:36 am »
The fairing fasteners do not require anti seize compound.

Anti seize compound is required where threaded bolts screw into aluminium such as the mudguard bolts into the front wheel carrier and the front wheel axle clamp bolts.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline lacmac

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2018, 10:24:34 am »
I work away for 8 weeks on and 8 weeks off. I have it connected to a 10yr old optimate and not had any problems. Been doing this for years.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2018, 11:19:42 am »
The fairing fasteners do not require anti seize compound.

Anti seize compound is required where threaded bolts screw into aluminium such as the mudguard bolts into the front wheel carrier and the front wheel axle clamp bolts.

...but beware of the original BMW thread lock compound. I have used araldite on a bolt (not on the bike) that was easier to remove. My K12 mudguard bolts were easy peasy and I actually used copa-slip on them (naughty but nice) but the ones on my K13 are pigs, it feels as though they are going to strip the threads every time I take them out.