Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136181 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #945 on: April 11, 2023, 02:50:38 pm »
From fading memory I am sure 'someone', 'somewhere' said that it was written that that grub-screw should NEVER be twiddled on pain of death.

It might even have been in the RepROM...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #946 on: April 11, 2023, 03:06:47 pm »
I twiddled with a grub screw and look what happened to me!

#morecambeandwise
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 03:37:29 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #947 on: April 11, 2023, 08:50:08 pm »
I am considering buying an ultrasonic cleaning tank. Looking at a 36 litre one that would be big enough to hang the radiator in (L510mm x W300mm x H250mm) (not deep enough to do in one go, have to do half then turn it up the other way and do the other half).

Anyone got one of these? any recommendations? any do's and don'ts?

If I do get it will be happy to offer a cleaning service for radiators and anything else to those who want it. Beer tokens may exchange hands....

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #948 on: April 11, 2023, 10:12:43 pm »
Did you get caught putting it in the dishwasher then?

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #949 on: April 17, 2023, 09:12:34 pm »
The number of views on this thread is almost the same as the number of miles on the bike. Better get doing some miles...

Online andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #950 on: April 18, 2023, 09:11:27 am »
I am considering buying an ultrasonic cleaning tank. Looking at a 36 litre one that would be big enough to hang the radiator in (L510mm x W300mm x H250mm) (not deep enough to do in one go, have to do half then turn it up the other way and do the other half).

Anyone got one of these? any recommendations? any do's and don'ts?

If I do get it will be happy to offer a cleaning service for radiators and anything else to those who want it. Beer tokens may exchange hands....

I've got a 'carb size' one for, well, de-gunking carbs. It works pretty well, but takes a while and isn't particularly interesting to watch. The dirt doesn't fall off like you see in the ads, more a case that it rinses off easily after an hour or so in the tank. A far more interesting restoration technique is electrolysis for the inside of rusty fuel tanks, but K's have plastic tanks so no need for that.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 22, 2023, 10:28:20 pm »
Another run up to Shropshire. The weather was a bit better than the last run, to put it mildly. 108k came up on the way a few miles South of Gloucester on the M5. I was having to keep the speed down as the radiator definitely was not enjoying the warmer weather as you can see from the temperature gauge. However it was really quiet traffic wise and my average speed was still pretty healthy. The fuel economy perked up too, all in all not too bad despite the monotony

After a day with my Dad sauntering around the Peak District after he'd had another Covid booster, where the sun always seemed to be shining where we'd been instead of where we were going, Thursday looked like being a good day so decided to make a day of it on the way home. Shrewsbury, Welshpool and a fuel stop at Tesco in Newtown where the 99 octane Momentum was as cheap as ordinary crap down in Cornwall. The A483 from then on was like having my own private racetrack. God what a road . Sun, warmth, grip, no traffic. Feckin glorius. I set out of Builth Wells still on the 483 and would have probably arrived in Llandovery except I realised after a bit that I was heading West and should be going South. After a bit of internal debate I thought I'd head South and if I had time in hand later, I'd go down the A39 instead of the A30. I turned South at Garth and went down the B4519. These pics are somewhere near the top of the hill on the firing range. It was pretty windy up there. Views were great.

Another romp down to Brecon followed, fortunately I was at sensible speed when I waved to the 3 RT mounted coppers being trained  8) and eventually to Abergavenny. Not so great down here, bit of a trundle to Chepstow but I managed to turn off onto the B4235 which was nice. Then a temperature controlled M5 run to Bridgewater and I turned off, intending to run around the back of Taunton and follow the A358 up to Minehead and then the A39. Not sure what happened around Taunton, seemed to spend half a day there with a very angry temperature gauge and a lot of traffic and god awful road surfaces. You could not get more different  than surface in mid Wales and those in North Somerset. Its not just bad its dangerous, especially when you throw in light and shade from trees and loose gravel in the corners. At one point the Volvo in front of me slowed to a stop , couldn't see why. Oncoming traffic passed, Volvo pulls out and around a pothole so big it had its own cone and sign. Wouldn't want to be down there in the dark and rain for sure.

I abandoned the aim of the A39 and went for across Exmoor instead. Well, sort of, there are few petrol stations in the villages so in the end I was forced into Tiverton to find fuel. I then struck out towards Bude and down some very tiny roads along a very wriggly route. Wasn't scrubbing any chicken strips off down there for sure. The roads slowly got wider and the closer you get to Bude the faster you can go. The A39 from Bude going South is very quick  and I was fighting the temperature gauge again. Not too exciting for me as I've travelled it many times, but better than the A30. Last thrash of the day from Indian Queens to Tresilian before threading through the commuters in Truro and home.

Google reckons that day was 357 miles, I didn't clock it myself. First proper ride of the year and much needed. I might have done 3500 miles this year, but most of that has been motorway and I really needed to get my eye in again. Lots of bits hurt at various points but adrenaline and endorphins sorted that, by the end of the day I was just tired. I'm a long way off but much better than I was. One of these runs a week for the next 7 weeks and I might be fit for the Old Gits

The bike will be getting booked in for the 108k service which was going to be a little one, but I'm going to have to get the radiator off for a clean.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 23, 2023, 06:09:40 pm »
Nice trip Martin.

And the next time you call for a ride out, I'll try not to have Covid  :)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #953 on: May 13, 2023, 08:52:59 pm »
So in for a service 108k and a bit. Radiator off, multiple sink hot washed plus brake cleaner, detergent, and an overnight soak and three runs in the dishwasher. Followed by partial removal of the dishwasher rails to clean out all the shite. I can see through the radiator now in places but think that this may be the last time and next time it will be replacement (bought a large makita mitre saw to assist with shed construction instead of an ultrasonic bath). Front brake discs under the thickness limit but have new ones ready. Brake piston seal replacement kits on the front. New pads all round.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #954 on: May 14, 2023, 04:24:19 pm »
(bought a large makita mitre saw to assist with shed construction instead of an ultrasonic bath).

Shed is for ultrasonic bath, right?

That's OK then. Purchase approved.  :winkthumbs:

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: May 14, 2023, 04:48:05 pm »
I'm looking forward to the opening ceremony for the shed now I've seen the work in progress!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #956 on: August 03, 2023, 10:25:36 pm »
All ready for pouring the concrete slab in the morning.

And this

Can you tell what it is yet? Happy birthday to me. Agonised over buying a new Neotec 2 in last weekends heavily discounted motolegends sale and eventually wimped out on the basis there are more important things required , that is, as far as I know my existing helmet is fine  but there are other things on the verge of failure. Insert joke of your choosing about 64 year old parts here

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: August 03, 2023, 10:28:41 pm »
Hot damn! Or, cold damn overall. Of all the forms of heat transfer this was my favourite in GCSE level science classes.

Also god damn it, Motolegends sale?!

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: August 04, 2023, 10:10:00 am »
Whatever it is I'd check it over carefully cos it looks like it has been run over, what with that tyre mark and all...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #959 on: August 04, 2023, 10:56:34 am »
Looks good to me