Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136189 times)

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
Re: K1200S
« Reply #630 on: May 16, 2020, 08:05:01 pm »
Hi Martin

Did you ever put a battery on the 1200?

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #631 on: May 16, 2020, 09:14:58 pm »
Yep see above Feb 24th, I dropped in the Motobatt that you donated - and it didn't fix it. I still have intermittent starting and more frequent bump starts. I tried the Motobatt again today as a jump start, both batteries showing 11.5-12V. The engine was trying , turned over a few times, but wasn't going to spin. Plenty of clunks and groans. Ocean have reopened in Falmouth so I will drop in next week and see what they can do with it.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #632 on: May 16, 2020, 09:19:46 pm »
Hmmmmm :(

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #633 on: May 16, 2020, 09:28:44 pm »
Well sometimes it starts perfectly eg outside your house. Then the next time its completely dead, often when hot. After 15 mins it will spin up no bother sometimes. The coil packs were recently replaced, plugs were new 7000 miles back. No error messages, no other electrical symptoms or poor running / lack of performance. Bump starts dead easy. I had wondered if there was a dodgy kill switch or side stand cut out, but think in that case it would be completely dead or fine, none of this reluctant straining to turn over. Pulling clutch in makes no difference.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #634 on: May 16, 2020, 10:36:45 pm »
Then the next time its completely dead, often when hot. After 15 mins it will spin up no bother sometimes.

That's almost the 'hot start' issue.
But 'hot start' usually has some sort of noise (krunk, or just a click as it weakens) as it tries and fails miserably, to turn the crankshaft.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #635 on: May 16, 2020, 11:03:01 pm »
Yeah well I did christen it the K12 hot start, but then it started to doing it from cold as well sooo….Mind you the cables are 12 years and 97k old so maybe that's part of the problem

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #636 on: May 19, 2020, 04:55:57 pm »
Just ordered a new bobbin set for one of the front discs as a couple of the spring washers have mysteriously disappeared on one of the discs. These guys are apparently the UK Brembo importer

Bike Torque Racing
Unit 15 Handlemaker Road
Marston Trading Estate
Frome
Somerset
BA11 4RW

01373 464252

www.biketorqueracing.co.uk

And a new set of Brembo SA front brake pads as the BMW ones seem not to work as well on the Serie Oro discs I put on a while back. Well either that or I am going to find out that there is another problem with the brakes as they are definitely not what they were.
Oh and my dad sent me this today

Judging from my and my sisters appearance, and the number plate, its circa 1965 so I will be about 6 or 7. So that's my Grandad, my dad, me and my son that all rode or ride bikes. My son who doesn't ride a bike just now wants his son to have a little dirt bike (not that I am encouraging him officer), but is encountering opposition from his partner. Well we have a little time yet as the grandson is only 9 months old and has just worked out how to stand up

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #637 on: May 19, 2020, 05:50:33 pm »
Blimey shame you don’t still have the bike stuff like that now goes for telephone numbers,re the learning to ride a bike hmmmm,over the years i’ve Had no end of folk as me to tech e’m to ride a bike and and i’ve Always been reluctant,when i’m At the doctors the normal question...

Do you smoke

No I ride a motorcycle that’ll kill me quick enough.....

And as you know my mates little boy showed no interest what so ever in learning to ride a bike and look what happened to him  :D so yea it’s complicated..

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #638 on: May 20, 2020, 03:30:10 pm »
Standing up is the first challenge of riding on the dirt so your gramdson is well on the way... :D

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #639 on: May 20, 2020, 10:38:38 pm »
Getting very bored and the problem with that is money starts burning a hole in your pocket exponentially. Buy one thing and before you know it you need a loan.
So the efficient boys at BikeTorque landed the new bobbin kit and brake pads on my doorstep this afternoon. Unusually efficiently I had put the bike up on the stands ready to work, and been out to stock up on brake cleaner at the local B&Q. Consequently this turned out into a SWMBO supplies mission and I ended up with a bag of peat, 3 different kinds of plant food, a bottle of brick cleaning acid and a bottle of and stone cleaner for the jet wash. As you do I happened to pick up  tin of WD40 cos you can never have enough, a bottle of wheel cleaner and 2 Dremel wire brushes that I figured would come in handy top clean up the paint free areas on the forks. And no brake cleaner. So I had to go to Truro for that.

Having duly washed all the nasty Covid bugs off everything I'd bought in accordance with the SWMBO regulations,  I started to take things to bits. Off with the mudguard and on to the callipers. This was the front left. As you can see one pad is hardly worn. More of that later

Front right was a bit more even but not great

Then just for all those fretting about paint peeling off here and there here's the front right fork

And the front left fork

I'll chip off the loose paint after washing all the crap off. I have some silver Hammerite in the shed and am wondering whether to put some of that on, or just leave them until I get the forks completely repainted at some point. Maybe.
I then started investigating the front right brake disc where some of the spring washers have sprung into another life somewhere. Tugging at the disc and looking to see which ones had gone I began to feel there was something awry. Firmly grasping the top and bottom of the wheel I gave a good shake and sure enough movement, so the bearings are buggered. So I thought well I have this fancy front stand, I can take the wheel out and get Ocean to do the bearings. Undid the right pinch bolt and could not move the spindle. Double joy.
So decided to take out the pads and clean up the calipers. Well I found out why the brakes have been feeling pathetic recently. RHS calliper one piston popped its head out, and over an hour later all 4 were grudgingly moving. Onto the LHS calliper and beginning to lose the will and run out of brake cleaner, I found again 1 happy piston and 3 stuck. 2 came free but the 4th is seized, hence the almost unworn pad above.
Anyway now I know why the front of the bike has been feeling a bit odd recently and the brakes have been needing a bigger and bigger handful over the last few rides
Just composed an email to Ocean saying I need to come in so they can look at the starting problem, the wheel bearing and free the piston. What the hell, maybe I'll get them to chuck on another front tyre while they're at it. Contemplating writing another email to Captain Sir Tom Moore seeing if he'll do some more laps to raise cash for the bill

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #640 on: May 20, 2020, 11:27:50 pm »
Strange how you never really notice things going off...

But you've got no bloody excuse cos you've got a new'ish K13 to compare it with and the brakes on the K12 should be like a boat anchor compared to the 13...

Yer banned  8)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #641 on: May 21, 2020, 12:22:08 am »
I think you'll find above that I started complaining about the brakes in july last year. I've just been getting round to fixing it dreckly

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #642 on: May 21, 2020, 09:58:38 am »
I'll chip off the loose paint after washing all the crap off. I have some silver Hammerite in the shed and am wondering whether to put some of that on, or just leave them until I get the forks completely repainted at some point. Maybe.

To quote the up-coming Richtea's Lazfy* Book of Bike Maintenancetm:

- Aluminium corrosion is self-regulating - it creates a nice seal protecting the fresh aluminium underneath, so you can leave it as long as you like.

- Brakes don't adhere (ha!) to the same regime.  :o

*That's not just lazy, that's f in lazy.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: May 21, 2020, 11:12:31 am »
 :D :D :D

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #644 on: May 21, 2020, 09:45:53 pm »
Progress of a sort. Managed to free off the seized piston having left it to stew in its own juices/WD 40/ brake cleaner for 24 hours. Thus fitted the sparkly new Brembo SA sintered pads, and also replaced all the bobbins and washers.
Cracked off the spalled paint, tomorrows job is to clean that up and see if the Hammerite works. Planning to use the Special Metals Primer followed by Direct to Galvanised Metals paint which Hammerite list for amongst others aluminium. I'm priming as I read a review that said the paint doesn't stick too well to oxidised aluminium.
Unless anyone can tell me  this won't work...