Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136208 times)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2018, 02:31:56 pm »
Brace! Brace! Brace!
If only it were a crash landing. Bracing myself for tomorrows bill as we crash through a total running cost of £20k over the last 3 years and 60k miles, excluding buying it in the first place. Both ball joints worn and replaced with rubber gaiter. Shock appears fine (the ESA loom has been replaced once already). New front tyre and new pads and a service. Hope it all feels back to normal. Unlike my bank account... :-\

gibbo

« Reply #121 on: February 24, 2018, 09:19:07 am »
I can feel a four figure sum being extracted from your bank account fj.  :(

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #122 on: February 24, 2018, 09:34:58 am »
Just think of the cost of the running repairs as the pemium for not spending half your life sitting in queues of cars, suffocating on carbon and nitrogen and it won't seem half so bad  8)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2018, 11:04:37 am »

... total running cost of £20k over the last 3 years and 60k miles, excluding buying it in the first place.

33p per mile.

I'll have a cheeky guess at a £6k outlay when you bought it, and maybe £2.5k if you sold it now, so that would push it up to 39p / mile.
For a performance vehicle, that's OK in my book.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2018, 12:03:24 pm »
Almost black and white in Cornwall

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2018, 01:32:18 pm »
Courtesy of Motolegends latest mail shot, I find out that if its 0C outside, and you're doing 60mph yer onner, the wind-chill brings that down to a very fresh -33C. No wonder I've had to roll my sleeves down recently.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #126 on: March 01, 2018, 02:42:00 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D So, any colder and it's winter drawers on then?

PS I love that piccie. The only things missing are tyre tracks leading up to it and a snowman in the saddle  8)

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1200 R
« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2018, 07:00:41 am »
Reading this fascinating blog reminded me of years ago when I married and in the military and because of living apart using my Norton Commando for long trips home. Yes, it was a bit hungry for rear tyres, chains, and sprockets, but generally was an inexpensive and reliable machine.  Albeit, taking in account of inflation, the running costs of these modern superbikes seems to have skyrocketed. 

My recent return to motorcycling after 30 years in the wilderness is seen by many as a late-life crisis, but they have never been a motorcyclist, so what do they know?  I suppose the difference between then and now is that the bike is not so much a form of transport, but an indulgence to polish and oil and admire.  It may be a loud beast to the neighbours, but a cathartic therapy for me.
In wine there is wisdom, in beer there are vitamins, in water - bacteria!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2018, 11:03:09 am »
Much cheaper nowadays to run a car.

Why would modern youth ever consider getting a motorcycle?

Big boys toys really. We come from an era when a motorcycle was the next step up from a push bike. When we grew up and earned more we generally graduated to a car.

Problem for us was that the seed was sown. We knew how much more exciting it was to ride a bike than drive a car. When we could afford it we treated ourselves to our big boy's toys.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2018, 12:29:57 pm »

I believe that my passion for motorcycles began when I was about 12, and when walking home from school had to pass "Ross's Motorcycles", which had a huge showroom full of rows of second-hand Vincents.  What marvelous pieces of British ingenuity and craftsmanship, that could be for bought for as little as 250 quid!  Mind you, this was in 1962 when the average wage was about 20 ponds?

Much cheaper nowadays to run a car.

Why would modern youth ever consider getting a motorcycle?

Big boys toys really. We come from an era when a motorcycle was the next step up from a push bike. When we grew up and earned more we generally graduated to a car.

Problem for us was that the seed was sown. We knew how much more exciting it was to ride a bike than drive a car. When we could afford it we treated ourselves to our big boy's toys.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2018, 01:03:38 pm »
I joined the RAF in 1964 and when asked about ambition, I clearly remember saying I wanted to progress so that I earned £1,000 a year  8)

Them were'tdays!

There is a huge gulf between the post-war baby-boomers and those who went before who nearly had bikes or scooters or combos and the generations who followed who mostly never bothered with bikes unless their dad did.

A friend bought new'ish cars for her grandchildren when they passed their tests. Just small, low mileage Toyota thingies but they will go on forever, have lots of the toys that hadn't been invented when I passed my test and they love 'em to bits. Tail pipe fell off one of them the other day and the lad tied it back up with his shoe lace...then a tie-wrap when the lace burned through and eventually gave in after the tie-wrap melted and took it to the garage. All for the sake of a new mount and a couple of nuts and bolts. I'd have been laughed out of the house if I'd done that.

Imagine him trying to keep on top of an old BSA or Norton but he is the sort who would take his K back to the dealer to get it cleaned  ::)

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2018, 02:31:16 pm »

I did 9 years, 1968-77, in the RAF as a medic (poultice walloper).  Went to Uni when I was 33 and ended up spending 9 years there'
Happy days in the RAF, because we had places to go and being on the aeromed team took me to most of them. :)

I joined the RAF in 1964 and when asked about ambition, I clearly remember saying I wanted to progress so that I earned £1,000 a year  8)

Them were'tdays!

There is a huge gulf between the post-war baby-boomers and those who went before who nearly had bikes or scooters or combos and the generations who followed who mostly never bothered with bikes unless their dad did.

A friend bought new'ish cars for her grandchildren when they passed their tests. Just small, low mileage Toyota thingies but they will go on forever, have lots of the toys that hadn't been invented when I passed my test and they love 'em to bits. Tail pipe fell off one of them the other day and the lad tied it back up with his shoe lace...then a tie-wrap when the lace burned through and eventually gave in after the tie-wrap melted and took it to the garage. All for the sake of a new mount and a couple of nuts and bolts. I'd have been laughed out of the house if I'd done that.

Imagine him trying to keep on top of an old BSA or Norton but he is the sort who would take his K back to the dealer to get it cleaned  ::)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2018, 05:20:30 pm »
we had places to go and being on the aeromed team took me to most of them. :)

Hmm! My two overseas posting were Marham in Norfolk and Lyneham in Wilts  8)

Offline Ian Jay

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2018, 06:21:43 pm »
We had a house in Calne from 77-90.  If God was to give Wiltshire an enema, it's where he would insert the tube ;)

we had places to go and being on the aeromed team took me to most of them. :)

Hmm! My two overseas posting were Marham in Norfolk and Lyneham in Wilts  8)

gibbo

« Reply #134 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:16 am »
Hey!!!! Less of the mickey taking about Wiltshire.  :) One of the finest counties in the UK. Ten times as many people work here than live here so it's given them a decent living. A veritable industrial powerhouse with a small p.