Author Topic: K1300GT - Battery  (Read 9789 times)

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: K1300GT - Battery
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2019, 03:18:15 pm »
I'm trying to ignore this thread now hehe, I can't spent more money!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2019, 05:27:11 pm »
I have a couple of Bosch scopes and a Fluke hand held scope badged and marketed as an automotive scope by Bosch.

Good for checking Lambda sensors and displaying battery tests in a readable manner.

No equipment for reading the secondary circuit on the K which is tucked well out of the way beyond probes.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andym535

« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2019, 05:32:47 pm »
btw, There'll be a 1Kw, or thereabouts, magnetron in your microwave oven if you ever need one...  ;D
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 05:47:16 pm by Andym535 »

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2019, 07:14:46 pm »
<thread_hijack>

btw, There'll be a 1Kw, or thereabouts, magnetron in your microwave oven if you ever need one...  ;D

My first ever job was designing magetrons to put into buoys. A magnetron in a buoy looks just like a decent-sized ship as it re-emits the radar signals it receives - an effective & cheap decoy.

I remember nothing of the real work, just the weird and wonderful bits:

- the magnetron 'bible' was a very rare book published in about 1948 to capture all the progress made during the war in print, and no progress had really been made since then, other than neater ways to manufacture them. The book was where you looked for formulae, design, ideas, etc. This was 1981!

- purchasing 2Mb of RAM for a Hewlett-Packhard PC at £20k (4* my annual salary), to calculate the ideal shape of the magnetron chamber for different frequencies

- a discussion with techies mocking whether 4G Bytes would ever be needed in a supercomputer, and how many bits the CPU would need to process at a time

- watching two extremely expensive and large rare earth toroid magnets flip over on themelves and shattering, watching the bits momentarily fly out and then sticking together again. But not in the same order. Oh. (6 month wait for new ones, at £5k / pair = annual salary. Luckily I wasn't the idiot who separated the pair without protection between them. They came with thick cardboard wedged between them. I wonder why.)

- getting drunk very cheaply in the company club/pub

But I did get a taste for coding.

The name of the company - Marconi-Osram Valves.
I'm a child of the valve age.  ;D

</thread_hijack>

Online Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2019, 09:47:46 pm »
I was at Bletchley Park last weekend and read and heard a fair bit about Marconi! Double hijack boom!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Andym535

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2019, 05:46:09 pm »
Here's a trace of the voltage (Blue) and current (Red) for the 1 second or so it takes the engine to start...

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2019, 06:09:50 pm »
Is your battery a year or two old Andy, a drop to 8volts is not good although it starts on the first stroke of the second revolution.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2019, 06:17:48 pm »
Time for a new battery Andy.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Andym535

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2019, 06:34:35 pm »
It's the  battery that was in the bike when I bought it. It's a genuine BMW one, so might even be the original (2013). It hasn't been started for weeks and it was quite cold in the garage today, and it also hasn't been on an Optimate or anything, so I was semi-surprised it started at all.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2019, 09:05:34 pm »
You'll have to check it again after you've used it for a bit.

Your scan shows clearly how useful a scope is for showing exactly what is going on.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 06:24:06 pm »
Go for am expensive good quality Lithium battery you'll notice soon all the benefits.
Embrace the wind.

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 10:33:05 pm »
Came across this article there is a lot of info on it, I was 20 years old and finished reading when I was 22 years old as I got lost a wee bit .🥺 A lengthy and very in formative article to be fair but hey why doubt the Costas man hail Costas 🙌🏻   

https://bmwmotorcycletech.info/newbattery.htm

gibbo

« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 09:00:18 am »
Go for am expensive good quality Lithium battery you'll notice soon all the benefits.

Hi Costas. Please educate me on what benefits there are, apart from the slight weight difference. I don't see it but you may prove me wrong.  ;)

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2019, 06:15:20 pm »
I think bmer’s are hard on battery’s need a lot of crank power to get running. Battery link below

https://www.tayna.co.uk/

Andym535

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2019, 01:46:47 pm »

Another battery test after an overnight charge with an Optimate 4. The charger is only rated at 0.8 amps so it'll take ages to charge fully, but the battery seems OK. Interestingly Pico Diagnostics thinks the starter motor resistance, including the wiring between the battery and motor, is slightly on the high side.