Author Topic: Bike Seven: Honda CRF 250 Rally  (Read 354 times)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Bike Seven: Honda CRF 250 Rally
« on: March 10, 2024, 04:59:40 pm »
You might have heard I've been doing some trail riding over the last twelve months. I started with Level 1 of BMW Off road Skills in Wales last May, followed by a week with them in Portugal in February. It was a lot of good clean... I mean wet and dirty fun.

Upon my return a few weeks ago I decided to get something to keep learning with. Riding an R1300GS offroad still seems a bit silly, especially if I'll be alone a lot. So I went small. Itchy Boots did OK with a CRF and so I looked at the 300. After much reading I found that after purchase there's a load of stuff required to make it not rubbish. Namely replacing the universally panned suspension.

Long story short, I saw sense and bought Brian's 250 where he's done all the hard work for me.

I've mapped a little route near me using the TRF green lane map and hopefully will go for an exploration next week.

There's nothing that needs doing on it, though I'll get it serviced and MOT'd around May time. Oh and I'm going to do that playing tunes thing on the spokes when I remember, and tighten as appropriate if they don't play waltzing matilda. Or something.

Anyway, I think it looks brilliant, and I never thought I'd be comfortable on something with such a high seat height. But the light weight combined with my Portugal-confidence makes it feel achievable.

More updates when I started ruining all Brian's tasteful mods :D
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Bike Seven: Honda CRF 250 Rally
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 05:30:45 pm »
Nice bike Matt  8)

I think I might like one of those  :thumbsup:

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 06:34:53 pm »
Well done Matt. Given the way the roads in the UK are going I think you may just be ahead of the curve in popular bike types.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2024, 07:52:05 pm »
I'll ride it soon I promise! My spoke wrench arrived today so I had a quite satisfying time torquing them all. I want to go round GSs now to see the state they're all in!
I also swapped the GPR out for the stock. Added a couple of Kg back, but I've also removed the top luggage plate thing which saved me 1kg. So I'm not feeling too bad about the weigh gain!

And as you predicted Brian, I'll likely be putting the stock gear lever back for now anyway, whilst I determine which Internet ones look least likely to be the same one under different names.

Oh and tomorrow I'll be practicing the tyre/tube faffery on the spare wheel :).

I should be heading to Salisbury in July with my Portuguese trip friends too! Purely for the spire.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2024, 08:52:06 pm »
Once you realise how restrictive the stock silencer is, I can guarantee that you will be putting the lovely, quiet but fruity, GPR back on. It transformed the bike in my honest humble opinion.

Luggage is a purely personal thing, no metrics or facts will change what you need/want. Speak to David about top boxes to see what vitriol can do to overcome emotion...

The AS3 gear lever needs a drill and a bigger bolt. Damned if I could ever get the round tuit to work.

As the old saying goes, once you buy it you can do what the hell you like with it as long as it makes you happy.

Oh, and Salisbury Plain is a huge playground. I suggest you pm #boboneleg on ADV. No, really, he truly does have just one leg and a hollow lump of Aluminum for the gear changer side (I think?).

He lives in Bristol and rides SP long and often.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2024, 08:30:04 am »
Oh I agree, I think i'm just enjoying getting some 'wrench time' as the isolationists say :). I just managed to persuade the preload thingy to move round too, and now my loaded/race/hamster sag has gone from roughly 22% to 28%, with a drop of 15mm. I'll see how that goes. What's the symptoms of too low preload? Bouncy bouncy?

Also I am loving the seat removal mod you did. It makes it so much less agonising when I remember I need to take it off again for something :).

Offline andym2

• View Profile
  • Location:: Stratford on Avon (District, the town is 'Upon' )
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2024, 01:24:28 pm »
Not enough pre-load means you'll bottom out the suspension landing from jumps or hitting big bumps.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2024, 05:48:08 pm »
Whereas too much means your fillings fall out and if you don't have fillings, your teeth fall out  :(

With a squirt of WD on the threads of the shock (which is really the damper) you 'should' be able to turn the spring and adjustable spring seat by a gloved hand. Glad you got it to move either way. Don't forget to tighten the grub screw again...then you put the egg to your mouth...

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2024, 06:02:03 pm »

Luggage is a purely personal thing, no metrics or facts will change what you need/want. Speak to David about top boxes to see what vitriol can do to overcome emotion...

My "problem" with top boxes is that they put the load in exactly the worst place on a bike. ( Not my opinion - physics fact!) If you don't care about the handling of your bike then go for it!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2024, 06:11:45 pm »
My "problem" with top boxes is that they put the load in exactly the worst place on a bike. ( Not my opinion - physics fact!) If you don't care about the handling of your bike then go for it!

Depends on what's inside the topbox:  ;D
https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/how-skyscrapers-made-ducatis-desmosedici-fly/

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2024, 02:39:15 pm »
Well, i'm sticking to the little Oxford bag on the rack at the moment, which is already full of things i'll probably never use :D.

I require a medal though for stopping myself buying a frigging Mosko Moto Reckless 40 or wtf and bankrupting myself.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2024, 08:59:04 pm »
If you are following Noraly then you need a Mosko Mule set up. If not, you don't!

How do you think all the stuff got added to the Rally in the first place  ::)