Author Topic: Tank capacity: 19l? Are you sure?!  (Read 5495 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Tank capacity: 19l? Are you sure?!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2018, 10:28:11 pm »
...and on the other hand I regularly ran out of fuel on my K12S with, variously, 6,13, 19 and 21 miles left on the computer...

It seems the black ones have that issue  :-X

It's because they're the fastest colour!

Is your (black) K13S more accurate, Brian?

Seeing as I have only done 47 miles in the three years since I bought it, I have no idea.... ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2018, 06:46:48 pm »
One of my fill ups yesterday, 200.5 on the trip, range 3, 20.25 litres, temperature c16C. (Staines)
The other was 205.2 on the trip, range 7, 19.90 litres temperature c22C (Wachtebeke otherwise known as somewhere in Belgium)

So you've definitely got more than 19 litres in there, and the fuel is coming from an underground tank so temperature at delivery isn't going to vary much. As for pump accuracy, I don't doubt there a few out there where they are erring on the profitable side of the tolerances, but I have filled up in so many garages from so many companies in different countries I think I have flattened out the rogue ones.

Offline Kennycagiva

• Bike mechanic all my life, so no bullshit please?
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300r 2009 with all the bells and whistles.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: De-restricted, Hugger, Main stand, AC Schnitzer handlebar kit and exhaust.
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 02:17:56 am »
While following a learner I've gone to -54 and made it to a pump but while thrashing it I've run out at -6. So it's all relative to your right hand.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2018, 02:05:06 pm »
In the interests of research I ran out 1.7 miles (just measured it, no wonder I was fecked) from my planned stop on the a303 this morning. After a puke inducing push (the last 100m Uphill were the worst) I got 20.77litres in. So now you know (that having your bike services upsets the fuel gauge - which said i had 3 miles left. Or maybe it was just Monday morning).
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 05:45:24 pm by fjtwelve »

Offline baldbiker

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2018, 04:23:52 pm »
If you want more fuel for your money fill up on a cold day, but it won't be a lot. It does make a difference when filling a plane with 170000 litres. 😁

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2018, 09:29:34 pm »
But don't fill up at your local place on a hot day and then park the bike up...

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2018, 01:22:39 pm »
Thanks everyone, great help here! :)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 04:06:38 pm »
I disagree they are accurate to the last kilometer . Today 22 liters. Went in slowly at the garage next to my dealer when display had the warning light on and 19kms remaining. It’s the third time in all those years that shaw that and love it’s accuracy.
Embrace the wind.

Offline paulotex

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2010 K1300R
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 10:07:44 am »
Yesterday did the largest fill up so far: range was 7 miles, filled up 15.5 liters. So I'm quite a bit off. I was doing 49mpg, so I had about that to go. Hum...  ???

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2018, 10:56:43 am »
Fill up the tank zero the trip and run it until it stops then you will know how many miles you get to a tank. Get used to zeroing the trip when you fill up. Oh and don't forget during this exercise to carry spare fuel to get you to a petrol station.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2018, 11:57:17 am »
Fill up the tank zero the trip and run it until it stops then you will know how many miles you get to a tank. Get used to zeroing the trip when you fill up. Oh and don't forget during this exercise to carry spare fuel to get you to a petrol station.
A good way to get all the crap out of the bottom of your tank. ::)
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2018, 12:05:44 pm »

Depends on your tyres too as I got less miles between fill ups on my PR5s than I did on my PR4s. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2018, 12:09:28 pm »
A good way to get all the crap out of the bottom of your tank. ::)
Why would you have crap in the bottom of your tank when it is bottom fed? I had no problems when I did it. Just filled up and away I went.