Author Topic: HIGH FUEL CONSUMPTION  (Read 7374 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: HIGH FUEL CONSUMPTION
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2018, 08:50:10 pm »
Disconnect it! My K12S ran perfectly(?) wih a zero map in the Power Commander (so, just as if it weren't there) and the Lambda sensor disconnected. About 10m/l from memory.

At least it will show if it is the problem.

Offline martyoz

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S 2006
  • Modifications and add-ons:: APRAKOVIC SILENCER
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2018, 10:56:12 pm »
Disconnect it! My K12S ran perfectly(?) wih a zero map in the Power Commander (so, just as if it weren't there) and the Lambda sensor disconnected. About 10m/l from memory.

At least it will show if it is the problem.

PH Thanks for reply bud .... my beast does not have a Power Commander which can be re-programmed ..... a mechanic friend advised me to change the O2 sensor even though it is not showing as faulty on Diagnostic computer. He also stated that if the O2 sensor is disconnected the BMW Bosch computer will automatically default to richen up the mix ????? I should have the new sensor mid August, not long to wait.

Love the O2 response graph Andy, nice work and thanks again for all the info.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2018, 03:09:54 pm »
No, you missed my point.

A Power Commander with a zero map installed is like having no PC at all in the circuit. Even with totally standard fuelling and the Llama sensor disconnected, the bikeran as faultlessy as a K12 ever could without a re-map. Mine was disconnected for 22,000 miles (and probably still is) with nary a problem.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2018, 10:26:20 pm »
See if you can get someone to check the output from the Lambda sensor. You should get a sinusoidal trace which oscillates between 0.2v and 0.8v at about once per second.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline martyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2018, 11:37:55 pm »
No, you missed my point.

A Power Commander with a zero map installed is like having no PC at all in the circuit. Even with totally standard fuelling and the Llama sensor disconnected, the bikeran as faultlessy as a K12 ever could without a re-map. Mine was disconnected for 22,000 miles (and probably still is) with nary a problem.

Phmode thanks...... did the bike "engine check light" come on with the O2 sensor disconnected ?? If your Beast ran fine with fault logged then it MUST point to computer running LEAN on O2 FAIL default ....... not RICH as is general assumption ?? Am going up a learning curve here.

TomL thanks...... BMW could find nothing wrong when on Diagnostic, another K12 rider sent me a graph showing oscillation of his O2 sensor working fine. 

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2018, 11:37:56 am »
The way I see it is it's just a piece of electronics that converts the oxygen in the exhaust into a voltage ( between 0.2v & 0.8v ) to be sent to the ECU.

If your's has failed it will probably just be sending a fixed voltage back to the ECU.
If that is near 0.2v it's telling the ECU to richen up the mixture permanently.

When you disconnect the Lambda sensor from the ECU you remove that voltage & so the ECU defaults to a mid point.
This obviously won't be correct, but will be better than running extra rich.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2018, 03:00:11 pm »
Nope! Never had an engine fault light. There was a fault code logged which I cleared occasionally with the GS-911 but apart from that it never knew.

Offline martyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2018, 01:34:04 am »
Hey Folks,

Thanks to everyone for your input and help......now get a load of this :

I replaced the O2 sensor and saw an immediate improvement in both handling and fuel consumption. However there still appeared to be excessively high consumption, when out with a local motorcycle club a few days ago I mentioned during a stop how far we had travelled. Others corrected me stating we had gone further than my estimation.

Further riding and comparison proved that my bike is reading MILES not KM as on ODOMETER ???? WTF !!!!

Now BWM did a Certificate of Roadworthy for Queensland Transport Registration on 17/07/18, on the invoice it states beside doing a conclusive safety check they carried out a "SOFTWARE UPDATE"

Have searched for hours and cannot find any information regarding whether or not K1200S ODO's can be selected for Miles / KM ??? The Speedo is correct and accurate in KM ..... Anyway I guess she will have to go back into the dealership to be corrected.

Cheers and thanks from Marty

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2018, 10:26:13 am »
I think the Odometer can be changed between Miles and Kilometres but it's a dealer job.

Offline martyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2018, 12:11:24 pm »
I think the Odometer can be changed between Miles and Kilometres but it's a dealer job.

Thanks Raesewell.........but mine displays "KM" on ODOMETER and Speed ! But is certainly calibrated for Miles as proven by distances covered with other riders, this is why I thought my Fuel consumption was atrocious.

Does the Speedo and Odo use the same sensor ? If the software was selected for Miles, surely Miles would be displayed on instrument ? Since posting I am wondering if there is another sensor used which may be faulty ?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2018, 12:37:31 pm »
I think you need someone with a GS911 or it need hooking up to the mothership.

Offline martyoz

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2018, 07:10:08 am »
Been back into local BMW Dealer (Coastline BMW in Caloundra) today, they reloaded the Software for free, but were unable to fix the ODO anomaly or find any obvious fault ........ so she remains the same. They offered to conduct testing @ $140 per hour, but when I asked them what they were actually going to test without having a Computer "Fault Code" on the bike they shook their heads ?

Just live with it displaying Miles I guess !

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2018, 10:29:31 am »
If the dealer doesn't know how to change the setting then they must be Muppets, but less clever!

I'm pretty sure that the GS-911 can change the settings...Tom? Tom? Either of you. Anyone else?

If so, for an hour's worth of labour you could probably pick up a secondhand GS-911 and fix it yourself.

Or get onto the Hexcode website ( http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/ ) and see if there is a DiY'er or small dealer in your area who has one and knows how to use it and can verify whether it will do the change.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2018, 12:58:30 pm »
Maybe live with the anomaly (now you've worked it out), and mark the major KM speed limits with a little bit of tape?

Andym535

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2018, 03:48:31 pm »
If the dealer doesn't know how to change the setting then they must be Muppets, but less clever!

I'm pretty sure that the GS-911 can change the settings...Tom? Tom? Either of you. Anyone else?

If so, for an hour's worth of labour you could probably pick up a secondhand GS-911 and fix it yourself.

Or get onto the Hexcode website ( http://forum.hexcode.co.za/forum/ ) and see if there is a DiY'er or small dealer in your area who has one and knows how to use it and can verify whether it will do the change.

Latest update for GS911 function chart says it can change the trip/odo between miles and KM. You can also have temp in F and fuel consumption in MPG and MP(US)G. Haven't tried changing those settings, but it worked for changing RDC form BAR to PSI

However, the problem here is that it seems to be set to KM but the numerical distance displayed as KM is closer to the distance actually traveled in miles, is that right? So the trip/Odo is saying you've done 100KM after 100Miles?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 04:17:49 pm by Andym535 »