Author Topic: Today's steed - BMW R nineT  (Read 626 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Today's steed - BMW R nineT
« on: August 24, 2023, 02:09:30 pm »
R nineT - see what they did there.

After having ridden round Wales for days and 500+ miles on a buttery smooth K1300S, this bike is a shocker (sorry NOG!)
I really want to like it, but seriously no normal human bean could go more than 100 miles on it without crying.

Anyway, here's are the pros I can give - grudgingly:
- nice and minimalist, round clocks, normal switchgear (inc cruise control!)
- a real key, hurrah!
- light and easy to steer
- enough oomph to overtake nicely in 3rd and 4th (110 bhp?)
- seems to have good suspension and brakes but I wasn't pushing it too hard

And the cons:
- vibrations. Just so much. Didn't someone invent the balance shaft once?
- mirrors that blur to XX variations of a white car behind. Is it police? F*** knows.
- low revs and town work - you have to be in second or third at most for town, no 5th gear pottering on this bike. I thought big twins were supposed to be grunty. Not this one.
- pegs forward compared to seat. Oww.
- skinny seat like it was made for a 17 year old on his first big bike. Like a kife through buttex. Double owww.
- rock hard seat. See above. Triple owwww.
- engine hunts if you hold the throttle in the same position - through town, its just gently but irritatingly go-stop-go-stop

So its a no from me. I have to ride it 30 miles back this afternoon. Not looking forward to it.  :( :( :(

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Today's steed - BMW R nineT
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2023, 02:47:58 pm »
I have no hands on (bum on??) experience of the R9T but I understand that they really benefit from a remap, which would address some of your concerns.

Otherwise, I think it's targeted at a very different audience compared to the K1300S.

Like you Rich, I too don't really understand why people would buy one!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Swindon Andy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Straight bar conversion, HID dip, clear front indicators, LED rear indicators, TomTom mount, top box (on rare occasions)
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2023, 03:49:35 pm »
I've borrowed one of these R9Ts, also a GS and didn't like either of them. The main dislike for me is the boxer engine, it feels like a diesel after our 4s. The R9T I agree with your every word. I understand why others like the GS but not for me. (Maybe when I'm in my 80s though.)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2023, 10:13:52 pm »
I had one with the fancy paintwork for a day some years back when I had the K still. I felt similarly at first. Then I parked it up next to an old old Daimler or something at a country pub and thought OK it looks the part. Then when I got back on it I rode it completely differently to the K. No rush, just distract yourself thinking about the brown leather jacket and matching gloves you need :D.

It's a leisurely ride bike, not at all suitable to join our ride yesterday for sure. Also I suppose it's an easy in to the whole custom bike scene, soft landing via am extensive BMW catalogue and expensive third party ready made packs. So you're unique. Just like a goth until they meet all the other goths.

Anyway I quite like em :p. But it'd be at least bike number 3 now so probably never really.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2023, 09:58:59 am »
My mate the postie bought one with the fancy tank paint but it was dog slow, or he was, and then it had a problem of some sort and Cotswold took it away and then wouldn't call him or return his calls...

All in all not a nice experience. It went and he bought a quack of some description. Bet he wishes he hadn't bought the fancy helmet and jacket to go with the retro looks.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2023, 12:06:30 pm »
No rush, just distract yourself thinking about the brown leather jacket and matching gloves you need :D.

It was definitely happier at 50-60mph. But then who needs 110bhp to do that speed?
Just buy a Honda CL500 instead and stick the difference of £9k(!) towards a very big holiday. No, a very big Motorsport.

Brown seat included - to match jacket. Qual:
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202305177487766