Author Topic: Navigator Street Mount Electrical Question  (Read 2313 times)

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Black K1300S, S1000XR, T100, Duke 390, Elan
Navigator Street Mount Electrical Question
« on: December 15, 2018, 03:07:01 pm »
I currently have 2 of the above mounts (genuine BMW, one brand new) which I'm trying to use with my Garmin Nuvo 390.

The mount has a two pin plug which connects with the BMW loom plug in front of the battery. At the other (SatNav) end there are two, spring loaded brass terminals that supply power to the Garmin once its snapped into the mount. In the mount itself lies the circuitry that drops the 12v from the bike to the 5.? required of the SatNav.

The left terminal is earth, I was expecting to find 5.?v on the other terminal but this isn't the case.

As a result, the SatNav doesn't charge in the mount.

I do have a Garmin mount for the Nuvo (this has the transformer on the supply cable, not in the mount itself) and on that, the left brass pin is earth, the right one has 5.2v. This unit works fine.

I've bought a brand new mount because I'd assumed that the lack of 5V on my first mount was the result of a duff internal transformer. The brand new one however is exactly the same. It is possible I've been unlucky but that somehow doesn't seem likely?

I know there are some very clued up folk on here and I'm wondering if you could offer any advice please.

Have I missed something? Are there any other checks I could do? Is there a history of these things being dodgy?

Any suggestions appreciated please. The part number for the mount is 77 52 8 564 723 if that helps.

Thanks

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Navigator Street Mount Electrical Question
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 03:26:39 pm »
You are checking with the ignition on? And even then, depending on the pins used in the bike socket, there is a time-out.

One pin goes dead as soon as the ignition is turned off, the other has a delay of about a minute.

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 04:15:15 pm »
Sadly it is with ignition on.

Have tried with engine running as well in case there was some battery saving going on.

I know that the 12v is getting into the electronics at the head end - it just seems that nowt's getting out of the other side.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 05:41:02 pm »
If I understand it properly :
- you have 2 BMW Navigator mounts, neither of which works,
- you have 1 Nuvo mount which works.
- you want to have a working mount for your Nuvo GPS

Is that correct ?

IF it is, why do you want a BMW Navigator mount to work on a Nuvo GPS, and why wouldn't you just use the ("proper") Nuvo mount ?
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 06:04:02 pm »
Is that correct ?

IF it is, why do you want a BMW Navigator mount to work on a Nuvo GPS, and why wouldn't you just use the ("proper") Nuvo mount ?

That's a fair question and I may end up having to go that route in the end:

1) The BMW mount is the one that's supposed to go on the bike so the fitment is as OE. It's neater with the electronics internally and easier to fit on the bike & has the BMW plug to suit the loom.
2) The BMW mount fits onto the handlebar bracket in portrait position (so the SatNav is therefore Landscape and you can read it). The Garmin mount fits in Landscape position so the SatNav would be portrait and difficult to read without getting a crick in the neck.

I don't have a BMW Navigator Street GPS to try - it would seem unlikely that it would charge though unless it has the ability to signal to the BMW mount to allow power through. Does anyone know if that could be the case?

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 06:14:32 pm »
Your local BM dealer (or Nippy Norman) will happily sell you the correct plug to fit the socket on the bike for about £20, complete with a foot of three wires already attached. Plug it in, connect your device of choice to the earth and live of your choice (instant off with ignition or delayed by about a minute) and hey presto, simple connection.

This might not solve your mount problem but it solves the connection problem.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 03:41:01 pm »
Is the terminal in front of the battery live?
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Lotus26R

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 04:01:35 pm »
Hi Tom - and yes, the loom plug works as expected. I can confirm power in the loom to the cradle and, having now taken the brave pill and undone the back of the unit, can confirm 12v into the PCB.

Thereafter, the activities of the board are a mystery to me. I can see the two output pins however and there is no voltage there.

I've checked this on one (brand new) unit, not the original one although the original is behaving in exactly the same way and is certainly using the same confirmed feed plug.

Garmin deny responsibility for making either the Navigator Street cradle or the GPS head unit - that was a surprise. BMW technical support share my view that I should see voltage across the two pins.