Author Topic: Observations on a Honda 650R Neo Sports Cafe  (Read 3257 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Observations on a Honda 650R Neo Sports Cafe
« on: May 09, 2021, 04:58:46 pm »
Did a check ride for a guy on a Honda 650R Neo Sports Cafe today:
https://www.honda.co.uk/motorcycles/range/street/cb650r-neo-sports-cafe/overview.html

A lovely compact bike, light peppy, and stylish in the dry. However, it was raining/wet roads. I have never been covered in so much crap before from following another bike. Same for the poor owner - 1/3rd of the road was up his back, 1/3rd over the whole of the back of the bike including the seat, and the last 1/3rd was smeared across my fairing and visor.

The web page proudly has a 'DETAILS MATTER' section. Someone didn't tell them that the 'detail' of a rear mudguard might be useful.

The other weird observation was that Hondas seem to come with both indicators illuminated by default - but just the front indicators, and at roughly of half brightness. It's an attempt to increase visibility I guess. When the rider actually indicates, the LED does get brighter, but the other indicator still stays on, at half brightness. Madness. I call it dangerous.

Makes me glad to run a 'normal ' BMW with a mudguard.

Apart from that, a good ride. And no misfire.

Rant over.  ::)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Observations on a Honda 650R Neo Sports Cafe
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:56:59 am »
My little Honda is the same in the DRL department.

Us europeans don't like it, the Americans don't like it, the antipodeans don't like it and the guys in the far east don't like it.

So which jurisdiction thought it was a good idea?

One of the 650's 'details'...

'The tapered handlebars are now set at a wider(sic), and offer easy leverage for fast steering reaction.'

So one of the details that doesn't matter is getting the grammar (and further on, the spelling) correct in the Details Matter section.

So the original was a pig to steer with heavy steering? Bars set at a wider what? And wider bars give a faster steering reaction? Are the bars not bolted directly to the forks? Is there some sort of gearing involved? We need to know!

Still, I'm not a sophisticated urbanite. Matt will be along shortly to rave about it... :)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:19 pm »
Omg! Lolcats! And so forth. But actually, the YouTubes keeps reviewing them and some sausage on another forum can't stop posting pictures of it, so I assume it's adequate. But I fancy jumping on the bandwagon so here goes (p.s if anyone needs a proof reader/editor I'm open to work!):

The CB650R features rich digital LCD instruments
Just like the watches from the 80s Richard is selling!

And Bri what you picked up on sits even better in its context:
The tapered handlebars are now set at a wider, and offer easy leverage for fast steering reaction. You are the king of the urban jungle. Show the world what you’re capable of.
I'll show them what I'm capable of, I can finally steer!

The circular headlight, equipped with a sharp black bezel, throws out an intense, blue-tinted beam.
Ah it's a child's bike! OK that tells us everything we need to know. "hey mom I want to learn to ride a motorcycle" "OK son but make sure you put blue tinted headlights on it so nobody mistakes you for a grownup" "but mom blue light tires the eyes faster than traditional temp lights" "GO TO YOUR ROOM BRANTLEY"

They match, perfectly the frame’s tuned rigidity balance and quick-steering geometry.
Maybe Japan is going the China route of paying someone's uncle who came to the UK on holiday one year to do all their translation work. They've got to keep up somehow.

The CB650R features a sleek, streamlined design to match your sophisticated urban style.
They are referring of course to my bad ass top box. Remember kids, style over substance!

Whew and I'm done :D.

So Rich, did it give an addictive howl and growl as the page states? And reverberations that only a small capacity Honda inline 4 can provide?

Well that was fun.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 12:05:55 pm by Matt »
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 01:54:19 pm »
So Rich, did it give an addictive howl and growl as the page states? And reverberations that only a small capacity Honda inline 4 can provide?

It was definitely OK, bar the mudguard. I'd have certainly considered it were I less experienced, and smaller.
95 BHP and 200Kg is plenty enough to have fun. Would I actually fit on it? Probably not in comfort.

First purchase would be a tail tidy mudguard thing, though...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 06:04:27 pm »
It seems I can read minds:
https://youtu.be/PCFzKwd3LCw?t=801

Except he did his vid before I posted. But.
(slightly different model - same idiot 'mudguardspreader'.)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2021, 06:28:27 pm by richtea »

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2021, 09:01:56 am »
Speaking of which, there's a baby'ish muntjac in my garden.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2021, 09:10:18 am »
Oh wait, I mean: yeah I watched the cbr650r video and to be fair it came across like a fun machine to rag about without doing 150mph before the fun starts, unlike the S1000rr, which was boring and uncomfortable until over 100mph.

But then I think if I'm getting a 'smaller' capacity bike, I want it to be a special one. Annoyingly 'special' is like 'character' and I don't even know what I mean yet!

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 12:09:47 am »
My son has just sold his Fireblade and is about to buy a Husqvarna Vitpilen, the one with the KTM 690 engine. He said the blade was just too easy to go too fast. Mind you it took him 30k miles to decide....

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2021, 07:34:40 am »
How things have moved on ...

When I passed my test, a mid-range bike was a 400, a mans bike was 650 or 750 and only real nutters had a 1000. All of that when the highest powered 1000 only just managed 100bhp.

This is now viewed as a mid range, at the "gentle" end of the market.

Anyway ...

Nice little review Rich. I must admit I quite like the look of it but I see no point in it for me. There is very little that a 650 can do but a larger engined bike can't there's an awful lot that a larger engined bike can do that a 650 can't. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2021, 01:25:29 pm »
Well, I do enjoy being a hypocrite and after watching Itchyboots a lot in the last couple of days I must say the CB500X seems like a lovely mini GS that I'd be more willing to try some mild greenlaning with.

My reasons for this:
1. It's cheap
2. It still does 250 miles to a tank
3. I'm a bit bored

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 12:40:07 pm »
Firstly, make sure you can pick it up down a deeply muddied lane.

Second, don't go alone...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 12:53:19 pm »
Firstly, make sure you can pick it up down a deeply muddied lane.

Second, don't go alone...

It sounds like the verification referred to in the first sentence requires the activity suggested to take place in order for it to be possible! :P

And as for going alone, it's a right git, you've mentioned it before and it means I have to be sociable!

Edit for photo:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 12:59:43 pm by Matt »

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:59 pm »
Oh, believe me...