Author Topic: BMW K1300S / K1200S Sargent modular seat  (Read 7228 times)

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200R Sport; 2007
Re: BMW K1300S / K1200S Sargent modular seat
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 07:53:37 am »
Well spotted, Tom. Does anyone know if the S seats also fit the R and R Sport?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2015, 08:25:15 am »
Blimey your finances must have picked up since you enquired about my Tony Archer seat  :D anyone who watched ebay for such will know it may go over £300 and no the R seat is different from the S.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 08:26:58 am »
No unfortunately they do no fit. :(
R sport and R models share the same seat but not the S.
Do not get confused by looking at REAL OEM catafalque where the same seat icon appears.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:36:56 am »
Thanks, Costas. Rather like screens, I'm reasonably happy with the OEM but keen to see if there's anything better. However, i probably shouldn't bother because, like screens, I'll probably lose money and end up with OEM after all. :(

Haha, Chris, I knew you'd think that!  ;D) I've sold some gear from a garage clearout! Also, I was figuring that a Sargent would be very easily resold, so the initial premium would be an investment rather than a sunk cost!. Did you sell the Tony Archer OK?

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 08:55:34 am »
Screen wise on the R Sport I've been all around the house with those as well best one by some margin is the Puig but I'm more than happy to sell you a Double Bubble either of which are better than the stocker.

Re the seat I still have it but it's sold a very nice gent asked if I could keep it till May when he is back in th UK and I was happy to do that also gave me the chance to compare the two looks like the major difference is price!!!!

Offline Dusty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:22:09 am »
Thanks, Chris. I  tried the Puig and sold it because it didn't work for me. I'm now trying a double bubble that's higher still but I'm not convinced yet. It seems OK but in some windy conditions,I seem to get more head buffeting. I think I may be too short at 5'9" and 32" leg to get the benefit from these higher screens. Heyho, the trial and error are all part of the fun.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:20 am »
The r pilots have issues with air turbulence. Still they can coop with it (imho) from the moment they ride a rocket and air only bothers for short time intervals.
I do not see any wind screen for your dimensions that can really help you in the market .  :'(
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:36:50 am »
 The ergonomics of bikes are terrible things. I am 5' 9.75" tall with 33" inside leg. So, I sit really low in the bike and get buffeting from the standard screen. With the MRA double bubble I get the wind blast directly in the chin area, so it doesn't throw the air over my head. By comparisn, the Wunderlich screen on my GS would have kept a tsunami at bay and the flip screen on my Honda CBR1000 F-H threw the air straight over my head and I never got any turbulence whatsoever.

Despite fitting a seat raising kit on the K, the wind blast hasn't changed significantly.

Brian (who can't understand why screen manufacturers don't have a fleet of bikes of all makes and models with all screens available for test rides to all comers  ::) )

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 01:24:28 pm »
The one thing I have learned with the ergo thing helmets have as much an impact as do the screen having had my Tiger for 14 years with the same kind of screen I changed from an Arai Corsair to an R7 GP they look identical the reality their nothing like when riding.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 10:58:04 pm »
Believe it or not, even the seat has an influence on turbulence and wind noise.

I didn't realise that my bike had a low seat until I'd had it for a few years. Out of interest I tried a standard height seat and although the position did not feel as good I did notice that there was less wind noise. My seat being an inch higher meant that my head was an inch higher and it put my lid into cleaner air out of a more turbulent air-stream from the screen.

I had a variety of screens which came with my bike and another one that I picked up along the way. I decided to test them back to back and in the end I found that the best was the standard screen which came with the bike. Not as sexy looking as the tinted double bubble but quieter, so now I have reverted to the standard screen. I think that the little flip up at the trailing edge makes a difference but who knows. I just keep wearing the ear plugs and live with the noise.

Interestingly when I was experimenting with various screens the quietest set up was with the screen removed altogther.

As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:08 pm »
Just to clarify please, I know that the K1300S and K1300R standard seats are the same. Are the Sargent seats for these two bikes the same as well?
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:02:25 pm »
They are not the same who says they are? I already stated above that.
S has a wider rear section R and the old R Sport a narrow one.
For the same reason they have deferential s/n. Unless in UK you've got other seats.
And again for the same reason the Sargent seats provide aftermarket ones for S separate from the ones for R and R Sport.
Embrace the wind.

Offline Ross

• View Profile
    • Work website
  • My K bike model:: K1300R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: mirror extenders, tank protector, centre stand, larger BM screen, Garmin, BM luggage, rear rack, ... and factory fitted ASC, ESA, quick shifter
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 08:16:27 pm »
They are not the same who says they are? I already stated above that.
S has a wider rear section R and the old R Sport a narrow one.
For the same reason they have deferential s/n. Unless in UK you've got other seats.
And again for the same reason the Sargent seats provide aftermarket ones for S separate from the ones for R and R Sport.

Heh Costas, I have owned both the K1300S and the K1300R and the seats looked the same to me so I assumed that they were. Is looks like I was wrong.
Happiness is a bike and a tent

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
My seat being an inch higher meant that my head was an inch higher and it put my lid into cleaner air out of a more turbulent air-stream from the screen.

Agreed. At 6'5" (1.96m) I'm happy to have my head waaaay above the screen. Its pretty stable with an AGV helmet - more so than my previous helmet, an Arai.
The only downside of the head above approach is that the 'fly line' is my neck. Ping ping ping. It can sting a bit in summer sometimes, but I can live with that...