Author Topic: Brake pads  (Read 25251 times)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
Re: Brake pads
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2016, 10:04:56 am »
It appears that best brrake pad configuration after all kind of reports is oem front and carbon llraine rear. K1300s bikes.
Embrace the wind.

Offline AndyLP

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2016, 01:07:02 pm »
Where do you order the Lorraine pads from?

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2016, 03:46:13 pm »
CL are availiable there am sure , try: carbonelorrainebraking.uk
Embrace the wind.

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S 30TH ANNI
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2018, 05:36:15 pm »
To my shame, I ran the rear pads down to beyond the friction material while on tour around Engerland & Welsh Wales last month. 1150 miles in 7 days. I could hear the rear pads making metal to metal contact (ouch) while on route to Fishguard. Our next stop was Chester, so booked the bike into Chester BMW for the next afternoon and had little option to continue using as little brakes as possible.....

Long & short of it was, new pads and disc fitted while I waited. £310. Problem solved but having to replace the disc at just 16k was a bit extravagent and no-ones fault but my own.  :-[

Bike was in for its second MOT last week at Cupar Motorcycles and passed with just one advisory for yes you guessed it. Front pads are worn. Keen for history not to repeat itself, I've ordered and received today a set of these bad boys. Will squeeze them in over the weekend.  8)

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/403061

Also had a split new pair of Michelin Road 5s fitted pre MOT as the OE Metzlers were shagged in just 4000 miles. Man new tyres are things of joy, the bike rolls into bends like it used to rather than having to be urged to do so. Very early days with the Road 5s but they look and feel the business.

Cheers, TB. 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:48:38 pm by TurboBevy »
In the name of God, please let me die in peace! Voltaire...

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2018, 05:45:47 pm »

Also had a split new pair of Michelin Road 5s fitted pre MOT as the OE Metzlers were shagged in just 4000 miles.

Wow. 4k. That's bad. You're not rubbing the brake pads on the tyres, or something weird, are you?  :o

Just in interest, what's your MPG?
So we can work out if you're a messiah with a dodgy bike. Or just a naughty boy.

(To paraphrase TomL(?):  Anyone getting more than 54mpg is an idiot, anyone getting less than 46mpg is a maniac.)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2018, 05:51:46 pm by richtea »

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2018, 05:55:21 pm »

Also had a split new pair of Michelin Road 5s fitted pre MOT as the OE Metzlers were shagged in just 4000 miles.

Wow. 4k. That's bad. You're not rubbing the brake pads on the tyres, or something weird, are you?  :o

Just in interest, what's your MPG?
So we can work out if you're a messiah with a dodgy bike. Or just a naughty boy.

To paraphrase Tom(?):
Anyone getting more than 52mpg is an idiot, anyone getting less than 46mpg is a maniac.

To be fair. The front had some life left, the rear was on the TWI. I always change them as pairs as this is no scooter.

Avg MPG is around 45, which I thought was good. Certainly better than the 27mpg my GTi returns.

I only ever used to get around 3k from a rear of the VFR and the Versys. Michelin Road 4 were much better on the Versys, I got around 6k on those. High hopes that the Road 5 will return a more reasonable 5k?

Cheers.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2018, 06:04:56 pm »
Hope you said hello to Steve Parry while you were in Chester  ;)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2018, 06:19:59 pm »

Avg MPG is around 45, which I thought was good. Certainly better than the 27mpg my GTi returns.

I only ever used to get around 3k from a rear of the VFR and the Versys. Michelin Road 4 were much better on the Versys, I got around 6k on those. High hopes that the Road 5 will return a more reasonable 5k?

I'd expect 7-8k with modern tyres.
However, I think you're hooning around a bit quicker than me since my MPG is 49-50 - that's mixed countryside & village/town.
It was 52.5 on the Wrinklies, but then again, you progress a little bit more carefully as a group, if you're not right at the back  :D

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2018, 08:31:55 pm »
Howdie All,
it so happens mine are up for replacement shortly so what is the recommendation always used EBC so now think oem front and brembo red rear sintered.a good choice ?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2018, 08:36:18 pm »
I believe the general consensus it that OEM are best. Expensive but best. You will only get the wear sensors with OEM.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2018, 11:14:39 pm »
No wear sensors on the K1300S.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2018, 08:55:56 am »
No wear sensors on the K1300S.
Right Tom, I wasn't sure, just though it was worth a mention. The wear sensors were rubbish anyway  ;)

Offline TurboBevy

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2018, 02:12:22 pm »
I believe the general consensus it that OEM are best. Expensive but best. You will only get the wear sensors with OEM.

Fair play. Brembo pads are more easily sourced and with the OEM only returning some 4000 miles, WTF. I've gone with these Brembos in the hope they'll be as good and last that wee bit longer? I've also got another trip booked for the Western Isles, for mid-July, before the bike will go in for its first 18k service in early August. The front pads however need changing now.  I knew this before I bought it, but these bikes are not cheap to run, service, own.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2018, 02:26:21 pm »
Was 4000 miles a typo, I got 40,000 plus from my OEM front brake pads

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2018, 02:46:06 pm »

Fair play. Brembo pads are more easily sourced and with the OEM only returning some 4000 miles, WTF.

4k for pads as well as tyres?
If BMW are servicing it, I'd ask them if there's a fault. It doesn't feel right.

I had a pad change at 18k, and another at 31k (= 13k pad life). The first 8k were ridden by someone else, so I think I may be a heavy user. Which makes sense since I'm a heavy person.