Author Topic: Today's steed (S1000R Sport)  (Read 2090 times)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
Today's steed (S1000R Sport)
« on: December 05, 2018, 11:36:43 am »
The R Sport this time, not the XR.
I think 'Sport' means Akra, quickshift up & down, and maybe some tuning? Oh, the web says funky cornering ABS too. I didn't test that.  :o

Good
- Quick. Fun quick, even on a grim today like today.
- Excellent handling
- Lovely down quickshift, complete with mandatory Akra popping.
- Surprisingly comfy even though the rider seat is a (large) pad. Reminds me of my Aprilia Falco seat which was also comfy but you wouldn't think it. Better than the posh XR seat I tried.
- Fairing thing helped a little bit, in that it didn't have my head bobbing about, but it doesn't give much respite from drizzle.

Bad
- No fairing, no panniers, no grab rail, some teeny tiny pad for a pillion. This really is a one person bike.
- [EDIT: irritating headshake at, er, 'motorway' speeds, possibly because the fairing thing is causing buffeting around me?]
- bit of a dead finger on left hand, possibly a combi of vibes, and the cold, but I wouldn't have got that on a K.
- Buzzy. I had to check I wasn't in 5th several times. Just too busy for all day use.

Possibly the most fun loan bike yet, but not the most practical.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 05:55:44 pm by richtea »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Today's steed (S1000R Sport)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 12:11:18 pm »
From the front it looks like Jack Elam, who my dad used to call, one eye and a whelk  ;D ;)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 04:16:26 pm »
Amazing performance stallion. No need to test the cornering ABS bike does it without you noticing .
Embrace the wind.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:51:58 pm »
What's wrong with you Rich, you never even mentioned the blingy red rim tapes... ::)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 10:44:37 pm »
Tch, sorry.
The inclement weather dampened my attention for detail. Basically, I got really quite wet. Welsh wet. :P

The tape is probably part of the go-faster Sport package.  ;D

But you've caused me to look at the pics again:
- Mirrors. They're in the 'Bad' category. Licence-losingly small. I love the K ones - I've never had better mirrrors than those.
- Brake reservoir. Bad. Chunky and sitting up all on its own with a fat pipe. Looks cheap.
- Levers, again oddly chunky. Maybe it's a style thing.
- And look at those radiators! I think the bottom one is a heavier gauge honeycomb than ours, though. The top one, out of reach of direct sh*t, is the more delicate one, from memory.

Offline Belco100

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: ex K12R Sport, K13GT, K13S, multiple K16GTs. But now Ducati Multi V4S & KTM 1290 SAS.
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2018, 09:46:10 am »
Great bike. I had one on test when my K12R Sport was in for a service a few years ago. I was amazed how similar it felt to the K12R both power wise and riding position wise, it was just the lack of fairing that put me off.