Author Topic: K1300GT brake failure  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Capt Howdy

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2008 K1200R owned since new
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Remus exhaust AX-FIED Wilber’s shocks
Re: K1300GT brake failure
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 12:19:31 am »
check the wire from the speed sensor on the front wheel. If it has become detached from the fork leg, particularly after removing the front wheel, it can rub on the disc brake causing a short which will light up the warning light.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 05:00:37 am by Capt Howdy »
It’s so nice to be insane. No one asks you to explain

Offline flatfour

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 1300 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Headlight protector, clear front indicators
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2020, 09:00:27 am »
On my K1200 RS (2004, Brick engine) the brake servo could be heard whenever the brakes were applied, engine running or not.

With the K1300GT that I have now (2010), I have never heard the brake servo motor operate.

Offline Philip

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S Motorsport STOLEN. Now on R1200GS which is a little slower.
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 11:27:08 am »
Thanks for those comments, not convinced its an ABS pump failure now, I will play some more when I get a chance. Will check everything again.
Up to about 2007 the ABS system used a servo pump that reduced the amount of lever pressure required for a given braking effort.
This was a source of many failures & great cost to repair.

The design of the ABS system from then was changed that did away with the servo & have been much more reliable.

The ABS goes through a self test every time the ignition is switched on.

If you listen carefully with your ear down by the rear of the coolant reservoir you should hear some clicks & whirs for a couple of seconds after the ignition is switched on, think you also need the stop/run switch in the run position.

The ABS module is just under the petrol tank to the side of the alternator.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 06:28:14 pm »
I bought my K1300 GT new in January 2011 and I am pretty sure there is no servo in the braking system. The braking system relies purely on the strength of my fingers.

If Iwere you I would take the bike to a main dealer and ask them to ascertain the problem. Presumably the brakes stop the bike without the wheels locking up.

Hope this helps

Offline Chrisiow

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2020, 10:20:43 am »
Thanks for all the help, stripped bike down at moment and checking everything . ABS unit looks good and all connectors look good. All sensors and wiring look good.Hopefully  will take it for a ride tomorrow. Brakes did work well despite the failure light. If I consider it safe I will take it to the nearest dealer, that will be expensive plus the ferry fare as well. Getting off the Island is a bit awkward at the moment with the pandemic rules then I have an hour and half ride.

Offline alaskier

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1600 GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Top case
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2020, 05:29:06 pm »
Best of luck with the dealer!

If the brakes work well  and the wheels don't lock my money is on Capt. Howdy's post, something silly something like a frayed wire or faulty connection.

Keep us posted with the dealer's prognosis and cure. 

Offline Chrisiow

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2020, 08:08:43 pm »
Thanks, the cable from the speed sensor on the front wheel as the rear are in perfect contition, no damage. I load tested the battery, it tested ok but I swopped it for another one just to eliminate it. Just finished putting the bike back together and took it for a ride, the normal alarms cleared when I got moving except the brake failure light stayed on, brakes appear normal, stops well. Im happy to drive to the main dealer at Alton. I will contact them and arrange taking it over to the mainland once the fery travel is easier. I will keep you informed. Thanks for your help.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2020, 10:19:51 pm »
Have you checked both the front and rear ABS speed sensor resistance and continuity.

Take a look here https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=checking+abs+wheel+sensor#kpvalbx=_x5PmXojMHdiq1fAP49KIyAY32
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline Chrisiow

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:10 am »
Does anyone know what the resistance reading of the abs senor should be on the K1300, elsewhere I found that someone said 33M ohms, i thought this was extremly high, I would expect a few K ohms but both on mine read 35M ohms. Also what should the gap be on the front wheel, mine measures 0.6mm.

Offline TomK1300s

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: 2020 R 1250 GS Adv
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Exhaust, Screen, hand guards.
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2020, 03:56:36 pm »
Does anyone know what the resistance reading of the abs senor should be on the K1300, elsewhere I found that someone said 33M ohms, i thought this was extremly high, I would expect a few K ohms but both on mine read 35M ohms. Also what should the gap be on the front wheel, mine measures 0.6mm.

The two pin sensors are around 1.5 to 2.0 Kohms, the gap is .45>.55mm so your .6mm is I would say OK.
Four wheels move the body, Two wheels move the soul

Offline Chrisiow

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2020, 09:00:26 pm »
Thanks for that, sounds right, cant believe both sensors are gone, will check again tomorrow.

Offline Chrisiow

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2020, 03:01:22 pm »
Actually got good connection to ABS connector now, rear reads correct and front appears open circuit. No damage visable on cable. Ordered replacement that should be here by weekend. Just got to get the old one off, bit of corrosion. Thanks for your help, fingers crossed.