Author Topic: Centre stand? Comfort seat?  (Read 5158 times)

Offline sheene7

• View Profile
Centre stand? Comfort seat?
« on: May 12, 2019, 07:15:00 am »
Hi all, just got k1300s motorsport, it’s mega👍, any advice on fitting genuine Bmw centre stand? And I was wondering about a “ comfort” seat, power bronze or top sellerie from France?
Cheers N

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: Centre stand? Comfort seat?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 08:04:58 am »
Use the standard seat for a while before looking for alternatives.  Many of the Old Gits (me included) have done 600+ mile, 12+ hour days on the standard seat without discomfort.  It's a pretty good seat.

Fitting a center stand will require either cutting or replacing the belly pan. I did 6 years of K1300S ownership with an Abba stand and no center stand.  That may be an alternative approach.

Oh, and welcome to K1300S ownership.  :D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 08:06:36 am by black-k1 »
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 10:35:25 am »
I think the belly pan has marks to indicate the cuts to make. Brian, didn't you do yours?

As David says, seats are very subjective so here are some opinionated views:
- Standard seat - numb nuts after an hour as you slide forward, and eventually find that you (they!) have settled there permanently.
- Powerbronze - looks comfy, but was just painful. Vinyl stretched over a plank would be a cheaper way to get the same effect  :o
- Sargent - never tried one, but Brian swears by them. But he swears at everything.
- Richtea custom - weirdly high for my long legs, but pleasant.

It's best to try and borrow one for an hour. You could try min, but you're quite a way off.

Andym535

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 10:35:56 am »
I’d go with the centre stand. It’s easy enough to fit; you do have to cut the fairing but there are markings to follow and you hardly notice the difference once it’s back on the bike. They roll off the side stand really easily so always park in gear.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2019, 02:35:41 pm »
I have never trusted side-stands and fitted a centre stand to my K12Sand to my K13S. You'll lose a couple of fingers following the stupid BMW instructions but it doesn't affect your hamd signals  ::)

Andym535

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2019, 05:28:00 pm »
If you mean the bit about hook the springs on, put one bolt in then use a ratchet strap to pull the stand back so you can get the other bolt in, that actually worked for me. Or maybe that's not tin the BMW instructions. Either way I don't remember it as being particularly difficult.

Offline sheene7

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 05:29:47 pm »
Many thanks chaps, great advice, thanks for the welcome , been for a ride today, loved it 👍

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 05:58:55 pm »
If you mean the bit about hook the springs on, put one bolt in then use a ratchet strap to pull the stand back so you can get the other bolt in, that actually worked for me. Or maybe that's not tin the BMW instructions. Either way I don't remember it as being particularly difficult.

No, that is the BMW instructions. It's when you don't have a ratchet strap and I don't know why anyone would have, that you lose a finger or two.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 06:16:42 pm »
Strong springs, a bike on a side stand, and a ratchet strap - what could possibly go wrong? Ping.

(I admit to paying a man to do mine. I had fun with a Laverda one once. Still remember it, and that was supposedly easy.)

Andym535

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 06:56:22 pm »
So, shouldn’t that be ‘You’ll lose a finger by not following the BMW instructions’?

As is normal for this forum, I could now take this thread in a different direction and ask if anyone has changed the front ball joints, and how that went. There are a few videos on you tube of people attacking the joints with enormous sockets and impact wrenches. Has anyone tried this? Would a torque multiplier (like the things they use to do up the wheel bolts on trucks to about 500NM) be a better approach?

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 07:09:06 pm »
Ball joints would be a new thread  ;D ::)

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2019, 09:21:11 am »
Hate the center stand.
Sergeant prooved strong after 12 years of ownership, last month changed the front part cover.
Still am considering it a seat for only long hours as it's hard for my bam, ooo and slippery for the pillion not to forget this serious downside.
Any good technician using gel foam solution will make an excellent customised seat.
Wunderlich makes very good job.
Embrace the wind.

Offline farmer

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: k1200rs, k1300s
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2019, 02:32:53 pm »
centre stand is mighty useful ...should be on all bikes.
seats are pretty subjective but the powerbronze one looks great...also i don't have one.(powerbronze that is ...i do have a seat)

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2019, 05:48:18 pm »
So, shouldn’t that be ‘You’ll lose a finger by not following the BMW instructions’?

As is normal for this forum, I could now take this thread in a different direction and ask if anyone has changed the front ball joints, and how that went. There are a few videos on you tube of people attacking the joints with enormous sockets and impact wrenches. Has anyone tried this? Would a torque multiplier (like the things they use to do up the wheel bolts on trucks to about 500NM) be a better approach?

So do as Rae says so I can reply with "yeah they tried to do mine and couldn't get it out so replaced the whole thing" :P
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline drumwrecker

• View Profile
    • Coombs Family Page
  • My K bike model:: K1300s 2009
  • Modifications and add-ons:: rear splash guard, Sargent seat and pod, 35mm bar risers
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2019, 07:34:45 pm »
Farmer, there was a time when all bikes had a centre stand. Although a Vincent had a rear stand and two prop stands, but then it would wouldn't it?
Its not always the destination that counts its the ride, having a destination just stops you going round in circles.