Author Topic: If it's out of the blue...  (Read 533 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
If it's out of the blue...
« on: August 04, 2023, 10:07:11 am »
...it's not for you!

Matt Allwright's catch phrase on Watchdog (BBC consumer rights program for those who don't watch UK t.v.) always seemed the perfect way to avoid being scammed either online or off and I try to live my online life in a way he would approve.

I know a lot of folks in here use WhatsApp and we think of it as being secure. This article arrived from my local neighbourhood policing team about scams related specifically to WhatsApp. I know most of us are way too savvy to fall for something as obviously daft as this, but you might know someone who isn't as clever and would benefit from the caution herein. I know at least one person, two including my lovely neighbour, who are active in WhatsApp groups but who live their lives in a cloud of trust and oblivion to the thieves, footpads and ne'er-do-wells of this world and who 'might' just fall for the ruse below.

Whether they would twig it was a scam when it got to the punch line is another matter.

........Reproduced without permission.......

"Large community and religious WhatsApp groups are being targeted by scammers who infiltrate them to try and deceive their members into sending them money. Since January of this year, 268 people have reported falling victim to this scam.

The fraud often begins when a member of the group receives a WhatsApp audio call from the fraudster, pretending, or claiming, to be a member of the group. This is done in order to gain the individual’s trust, and often the scammer will use a false profile picture and / or display name, so at first glance it would appear to be a genuine member of the group.

The fraudster will then call the victim and say they are sending a one-time passcode which will allow them to join an upcoming video call for group members. The scammer then asks the victim to share this passcode with them so they can be “registered” for the video call. What’s really happening is that the scammer is asking for a registration code to register the victim’s WhatsApp account to a new device where they then “port” their WhatsApp profile over.

Once the fraudster has access to the victim’s WhatsApp account, they will enable two-step verification which makes it impossible for the victim to access their account. The scammer will then message other members of the group, or friends and family in the victim’s contacts, asking them to transfer money urgently as they are in desperate need of help."

Forewarned and all that.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
Re: If it's out of the blue...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2023, 10:18:03 am »
Ahh from a quick internetting this is exploiting a WhatsApp feature to allow you to have 'slave' devices sharing the same account. So when I was in the Balkans I could have linked the phone (with balkans PAYG SIM) to my UK WhatsApp. Oh except it only works with WhatsApp Web. So:

They go to WhatsApp web and enter your number. They get an 8 char code that needs entering on the primary device. They send that to you and somehow blag it so you enter that code into WhatsApp on your phone. Bam they have access and off they go.

It's an evolution of the "oh hi mom/nan/Tony Blair, I lost my phone and got a new one and I also lost my house can you send me 500 grand ты дурак I mean thanks."
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2023, 10:54:12 am »
Yes. All these things rely on gullibility. But there is so much gullibility around these days and so many ways of being gulled.

I've never been able to understand quite how anyone falls for the 'send me money' bit. Or how so many peeps seem to have so much money sloshing around.

Anyway, if you are popping over sometime next week, can you bring some milk, eggs, bacon, lard, large frying pan, a handful of pound coins for meter, washing up liquid, a clean tea-towel and a blank, signed check made out to me.

Thanks in advance and who needs WhatsApp?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2023, 06:24:45 pm »
I was just packing the frying pan, when I re-read it. I can tell you're trying to scam me because you spelled cheque incorrectly.

You're not catching me out, matey boyo.  :P

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2023, 06:52:25 pm »
Brian's been hacked by the Americans!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2023, 07:57:35 pm »
Or by his neighbour !
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2023, 09:35:59 am »
I think Richard's WhatsApp spoolchucker has infected my device...