Author Topic: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble  (Read 41177 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: Wrinklies Welsh Wramble
« Reply #210 on: June 10, 2021, 06:05:03 pm »
My initial advice was for people to look at weather along a certain route rather than just weather.

The problem with a route of longer than half an hour is that the weather will have changed when you get there...

Currently sitting in Fairford with rain coming down in hammered stair-rods outside. How's that for a summer shower. At least Dark Sky forewarned us.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #211 on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:13 pm »
I understand what you mean Brian, however on a bike you are not going to stop every 20 mins to look at your weather app. You need to look at the forecast and tog up accordingly and keep your fingers crossed that the forecaster got it right.
Or you can use that old fashioned device known as a window and your eyes  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #212 on: June 10, 2021, 06:17:53 pm »
Much to my surprise I have remembered enough of what Rae told me last year to hack my way through tomtom mydrive and downloading/syncing the gpx routes to my phone TomTom. Don't ask me to do it again or show anyone mind, or ask me the difference between gpx and itn... ::)

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #213 on: June 10, 2021, 06:21:21 pm »
I understand what you mean Brian, however on a bike you are not going to stop every 20 mins to look at your weather app. You need to look at the forecast and tog up accordingly and keep your fingers crossed that the forecaster got it right.

Falmouth forecast: If I can see the Manacles its going to rain. If I can't see the Manacles it is raining (Manacles are a very nasty bunch of rocks on the horizon towards the Lizard).

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 10, 2021, 06:27:42 pm »
.itn is my route type of choice. The difference is a .gpx file sticks to the exact route no matter what, so if there are roadworks or road closures on route you're stuffed. The .itn route calculates a route from waypoint to waypoint and will re-route around road closures or roadworks. In the case of a waypoint being in the middle of roadworks or closure it will try to get you as close as possible, and you can delete the offending waypoint and carry on.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #215 on: June 10, 2021, 09:09:06 pm »

I know I carry most things on the bike and have loads of bling, but a window is something that wasn't on the Wunderlich catalogue. Now searching ebay...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 10, 2021, 09:50:28 pm »
You have a small window in your helmet  8)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #217 on: June 11, 2021, 08:13:20 am »
.itn is my route type of choice. The difference is a .gpx file sticks to the exact route no matter what, so if there are roadworks or road closures on route you're stuffed. The .itn route calculates a route from waypoint to waypoint and will re-route around road closures or roadworks. In the case of a waypoint being in the middle of roadworks or closure it will try to get you as close as possible, and you can delete the offending waypoint and carry on.

.itn is my route planning format of choice too but be careful when travelling as a group. On one of the Old Gits trips we had three people with the same model of Tomtom, the same release of the software, the same version of the maps and the same settings in preferences yet all three devices found different routes between the way-points. We assumed that the navigation devices throw in a degree of randomisation, especially if not using the "shortest" route option, to avoid consistently sending all traffic along the same roads thus restricting overall traffic flow.

If using .itn for group route planning then lots of way-points are a good idea but you then get back towards the road closure/delay issues you get with .gpx

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #218 on: June 11, 2021, 04:49:16 pm »
Enjoy your trip everybody!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 11, 2021, 05:11:47 pm »

Same from me !
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2021, 06:19:51 pm »
It's a shame you cannot be with us Philippe  :( next time maybe. Or maybe October if my Duffers trip goes ahead.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2021, 06:38:00 pm »
Rae, it's not all too bad : subtracting 60 from 90 makes 30 other opportunities to join (thinking positive, that is)  ;D
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 12, 2021, 10:32:25 am »

And you David! We'll be thinking about the midges but hopefully we all get decent weather.

Offline chriscanning

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200r Sport
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BST's Wilbers Kehedo Rexxer Puig Akra
« Reply #223 on: June 12, 2021, 11:33:36 am »
Just hope you do not get a day like yesterday, we went Ponderosa and then to Barmouth, jeeze was like a bad in February even in a van it was interesting...although it did come good by 4 pm  :) but their are plus’s the human race disappeared for most of the day which was great.

And for you guys who haven’r gotten out much this Covid thing has had a serious effect on car drivers.....

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #224 on: June 12, 2021, 11:33:44 am »
And you David! We'll be thinking about the midges but hopefully we all get decent weather.

Midge Magic packed