Author Topic: K1300s Quick shifta mod  (Read 3799 times)

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
K1300s Quick shifta mod
« on: May 09, 2018, 10:17:24 pm »
Hi All,
Another quick question to the knowledge bank out there the new model 3 S1000RR has an updated quick shifta that works both on the up and down shift. I have a the K1300s which only does the upshift it so awesome that I would love to have it for down shifting. Would anyone know if it can be retro fitted ?

gibbo

Re: K1300s Quick shifta mod
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2018, 06:40:45 am »
I've not heard of an auto blipper being available for the K unless it's a bespoke item. We need an Alan Millyard on here for further advice.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2018, 07:47:41 am »
I've not heard of an auto blipper being available for the K unless it's a bespoke item. We need an Alan Millyard on here for further advice.

Likewise I've not heard of an auto blipper for the K1300S (or any of the non Pro BMW quick shifters) but the manual blipper works really well. :D  Shut the throttle fully then give a small flick of the wrist as you down shift (no clutch) and it will slip into gear smoothly and quietly. I would estimate that around 70% of my down shifts are clutchless.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2018, 09:31:48 am »
Shut the throttle fully then give a small flick of the wrist as you down shift (no clutch) and it will slip into gear smoothly and quietly.

And if you get the small flick wrong? Damage? Or just noise and temporary back wheel lockup?
(Never tried clutchless downshifts, never had the confidence. Or mechanical sympathy.)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 09:49:52 am »
Shut the throttle fully then give a small flick of the wrist as you down shift (no clutch) and it will slip into gear smoothly and quietly.

And if you get the small flick wrong? Damage? Or just noise and temporary back wheel lockup?
(Never tried clutchless downshifts, never had the confidence. Or mechanical sympathy.)
Getting it wrong is unlikely to do any damage. Like all gear shifts, if the next gear doesn't engage properly you can find yourself in a false neutral, in the wrong gear or attempting to head-butt the tank as the bike slows a lot quicker than expected.

Make sure the throttle is FULLY shut - all the way to the stop, and be positive (though not forceful) with the gear lever. The blip is only a small quick blip, not a full wind on. If you don't give enough of a blip the gear is unlikely to change. More likely is that you give too much and end up with a surge forward. It doesn't take very long at all to master and is great when slowing down through the gears on approaches to junctions.

Note: I do tend to avoid 2nd to 1st clutchless changes but 6th down to second is great fun. :D
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 11:04:19 am »
Works for me but for the newbies out there, don't practice actually on the run into T junctions or roundabouts till you have the blip mastered.

And no, as far as I know it can't be retrofitted.

Offline S BMW

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300s anniversary model
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:44 pm »
Howdie All,
Thanks for the feedback once again was doing the blip for a while again wonderful when it happens once or twice it did not and a fear of damaging the box overtook me that and run on causing revert to braking and spoils the smoothness 😕

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
Howdie All,
Thanks for the feedback once again was doing the blip for a while again wonderful when it happens once or twice it did not and a fear of damaging the box overtook me that and run on causing revert to braking and spoils the smoothness 😕

Practice,  practice, practice!

gibbo

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2018, 06:49:11 am »
These clutchless gear shifts are not for me. I'd be concerned about the premature wear on all those components. That lever on the left hand side on the bars is there for a reason. Use it!!

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2018, 07:55:51 am »
These clutchless gear shifts are not for me. I'd be concerned about the premature wear on all those components. That lever on the left hand side on the bars is there for a reason. Use it!!

If that were the case then why would pretty much every manufacturer be fitting quick shifters to their bikes? A quick shifter simply enables easy clutchless changes.

Clutches are for pulling away and coming to a stop (and a few gear changes in between!)

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2018, 08:51:16 am »
Well, you've forced me to read about quickshifters. Education - you can't beat it.
I thought there was a momentary auto-use of the clutch, but I assumed wrongly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quickshifter

The load from transmission is generally reduced by cutting off the ignition and/or fuel supply in the engine, or by disengaging the clutch. Since load is reduced from transmission precisely(if tuned correctly) by microcontroller, it does less damage to use the quickshifter than clutchless gearshift without a quickshifter on a manual transmission.[3] This process is also called unloading.

And from:
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/32194/how-does-a-quick-shifter-work-in-a-motorcycle

Upshift cuts the ignition, Downshift blips the throttle.

and

The general consensus on the internet seems to be that quick-shifting can be less harmful for the gearbox than slow-shifting since the engine power is guaranteed to be lowered when the fuel/ignition are cut. Whereas an unskilled driver manually operating the clutch is more likely to make the mistake of leaving the throttle open during up-shifting.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2018, 01:24:36 pm »
I almost always did clutchless upshifts on my K12 and lots of down shifts too.

The shift assist is a joy to use and works on exactly the same priciple as a momentary close of the throttle in that it unloads the cogs allowing them to shift seamlessly into the next gear. My understanding is that it doesn't cut the ignition totally, merely on a couple (?) of cylinders.

gibbo

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2018, 03:01:00 pm »

If that were the case then why would pretty much every manufacturer be fitting quick shifters to their bikes? A quick shifter simply enables easy clutchless changes.

Clutches are for pulling away and coming to a stop (and a few gear changes in between!)

If a bike is designed with a quickshifter/auto blipper then fair enough, but I wouldn't want to practice, practice, practice until I achieved the ultimate downshift/upshift. I just don't fancy a huge transmission invoice for bent selector fork work and other bits and bobs. If you're that idle about using that left hand lever then buy a 'twist n go'.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 03:15:37 pm »
As far as I know there is no difference in the gearbox internals on the 13 with the shift assist.

Most of us did our practice, practice, practice many, many, many years and bikes ago.

I also think there is a big difference in the riding styles of owners at play here. The faster and harder you use the box with a shift assist the better it likes it. Conversely, timid prods at the lever with ottle demand can confuse the poor thing. Much as it galls me to say this, but being brutal with the throttle and the lever gives by far the best results (and of course a huge grin inside the helmet  8) ).

I can guarantee that anyone trying an clutchless upshift with proper advice will get perfection within the first few attempts and the odd crunch never does much harm anyway, we've all missed gears and bolloxed it up before now and never broken the box.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2018, 03:31:00 pm »
I think that's the point. No method of shifting is guaranteed to be 100% successful, with or without clutch. Even with clutched up and down shifts I'm sure we've all found ourselves in that no mans land between gears, closely followed by the crrruunncch as we try to get things sorted. Clutches changes are no different. The advantage of clutchless downshifts is that if you don't unload the transmission, it simply wont change. The more likely event is that you blip the throttle a little too enthusiastically and invoke a small surge forwards followed by a brisk reduction in speed as the throttle shuts again. Exactly the same as "dumping the clutch", which I'm also sure we've all done, on a clutched downshift.

As said before, if the manufacturers didn't feel their gearboxes were up to clutchless changes, they wouldn't fit quickshifters. And, when was the last time you were aware of a gearbox issue on a K1?00? Now, let's discuss clutch issues ... ;)