Author Topic: Teething problems with my new K1300R  (Read 7952 times)

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
  • My K bike model:: K 1300 R
  • Modifications and add-ons:: ESA II, ASC, RDC, Quick-Shifter
Teething problems with my new K1300R
« on: May 29, 2015, 11:26:24 am »
After a month on my new bike, here are some teething problems I 'd like to share with you - Most likely they all have to do with me being a bit too "portable": 5'6'' (1,67m) and 60Kg, but if you have any advice other than hanging from the ceiling or sleeping in a stretcher, please let me know :)

My former bike being a F800ST might have something to do with it too.

Riding position - Foot pegs feel a bit too far behind. I seem to be too conscious to put the ball of my foot on the peg otherwise it just slides down.

Could this be because I'm sitting too close to the tank? Should I move the handlebar back a notch?

Although the bike feels planted to the road, I don't feel plated to the bike. Going over a bump sometimes it seems to want to throw me about. Even on ESA's Comfort setting.

Yesterday I was able to maintain a speed of 220kms/h (137miles/h) for about a minute! That was cool for a quick adrenaline rush, by I don't think I can sustain that speed for a lot longer. My comfort speed seems to be around 140, 160, 180 Kms/h. What's yours?

Did I mention the "ball buster"? (this one is for a laugh) - brace yourself for a shocker: Riding two up with my wife at the back (she's even smaller then me), when I brake she comes sliding down the seat into the pilot groove. Then going over a bump you know what bangs on the tank, right?! It's nuts!!

Having said this. I looooove this bike and it's still growing on me.

Cheers
Carlos

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
Re: Teething problems with my new K1300R
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 11:32:05 am »
I can't help with the footpeg situation Carlos but try here for a solution to the sliding pillion
http://www.triboseat.com/

Offline bobtail

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1200S (05) departed but well loved! Now R1200RS I am now a Boxerboy.
  • Modifications and add-ons:: I had no bling on my K12 and was proud of it! And it never, ever let me down, honest! And it still had the o.e. battery going strong, honest!
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 11:38:22 am »
+1 on the tribo seat. Maria doesn't head but me anymore now :D

Bob
Are we there yet? I said ARE WE THERE YET? I SAID ARE WE THERE YET?!!

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 12:02:39 pm »
OK Carlos, at 5'6" you are probably at the lower end of the demographic for such a relatively big bike, certainly at 60Kg you are going to suffer I guess. I have dropped from 93Kg to about 78 over the past couple of years and I certainly notice the bike (12S) bucks me out of the seat on the rough stuff more than it did and if I have it on Comfort then it wallows for miles.

I have a mate who is about your size and weight and he doesn't suffer on his K13S so perhaps the peg/bar/seat/'fairing' relationship is what is causing the problem.

I think you will get used to the pegs. I came from a GS1150 and thought I was riding with my feet on the pillion pegs for the first few weeks.

Now that my crotchy knees are OK, I find sitting right in the tank much more comfortable. I used to have to ride at the back of the rider seat but found that way too uncomfortable on everything but my knees.

I guess you could wear a cricket box, assuming you know what cricket it and how painful a ball in the wotsits can be  ;D

The holey rubber sheet stuff works wonders on stopping the sliding.

As for sustained speeds; I can manage120 mph for miles on a motorway, although rarely do. Anything above that for any distance and I am starting to duck and dive and suffer more than somewhat, not to mention risking the licence and my liberty  :o

My 'normal' cruising speed on the S is about 90-100mph, assuming the conditions allow and at that speed  I am totally comfortable all day. Having chased a McLaren at a 150mph (and suffered the F1 slipstream problem of massive turbulence) for a few miles, I wouldn't want to 'cruise' at that speed even if I were allowed.

Every bike and every biker has their sweet-spot as far as speed is concerned and you will find you settle into your, and the R's, sweet spot eventually.

Brian (who doubts we will be making anywhere near that progress on the Chasing the Sun ride next week unless the monsoons abate and the winds blow somewhere else  8) )

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:43 pm »
Thank you for the valuable and comforting advice, guys :)

The cricket box thingy is cool, but doesn't it give you a funny walk?  :P

Cheers
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 01:04:24 pm by cemartins »

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2015, 01:15:13 pm »
We all have funny walks for one reason or another, you will fit right in  ;D

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2015, 01:23:51 pm »
Let me add a little bit more.
Am 1,72 and also an F800ST owner (and my missus is shorter too), there my problems were solved with the extra low seat, uncomfortable for commuting outside the city but perfect for in the city runs.
The optional low seat in the big K took 2,5 cm from the height.
Another 2,5 were taken with the purchase of the lowering set fm HORNIG that combination transformed the bike and allows both feet stepping steady on the ground, now pillions can climb much easier, add the agility of the bike to exit curves at higher speed being lower.
The other issue with the handle bars was solved with the use of new IDE bars , that removed bars towards me 3,5 cm and raised them by 3 cm.
The option for the low seat (like mine) took another 2,5 cm from the height.
Another significant change was made to the pegs , by getting the HP sets I'm now able to change and try every possible position of them and finally was able to find the perfect set up for me.
Finally the thick tank grips bought, enabled me to really feel the tank under my feet and grip on it for hitting curves better. 
About the seat IMHO no seat whatever seat you try (Sargent, Corbin, seat cushions, seat grip pads etc) will ever stop your pillion to push you forward, its a long seat that is the issue. Solutions like the handle bar grips for pillion, the love belt and others were also used without success. My pillions are instructed to keep pressure in their pegs especially during braking and whenever possible keep both hands on pillion bars. I've even consider changing the missus with a new higher model but that didn't work.....    :-[
Embrace the wind.

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 02:02:08 pm »
I'm with you Costas! I even tried sitting a dog between me and the missus which tuned out to be a complete circus!  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 03:01:18 pm »
Thank you for the valuable and comforting advice, guys :)

The cricket box thingy is cool, but doesn't it give you a funny walk?  :P

Cheers

Well, yes, but we were talking about riding a bike  :o

And 'walking' in cricket has a completely different meaning anyway, maybe the box is the reason some batsmen don't do it till they are told to.

Brian (who used to have a funny walk but he left it somewhere and now can't find it  ::) )

Offline Rusty-pie

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: R1200RT
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 03:58:01 pm »
Hi! I've found that the ESA comfort setting works really well at smoothening rough surfaces with small irregularities but is a little too wallowy on bumpy roads with larger depressions/bumps, especially two up, where it tends to throw passengers up in the air! Try the normal setting instead.
My missus has developed a very good technique for not moving around, one hand on the pillion handle and the other on the tank to stop her sliding forward. It took her a little to get used to it but now I don't feel at all she is there even during spirited riding.

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 07:36:53 pm »
This is the recommended correct position for a pillion and with hands in that position she is secure both for braking and accelerating, but what someone can do if her hands are sort for that distance? Forget it as said a better newer higher model is the only solution I see.... :-[
Embrace the wind.

Offline Lightning_650

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300GT
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 11:07:42 pm »
+1 on the tribo seat. Maria doesn't head but me anymore now :D

Bob
If I apply back brake fractionally before the front it settles the bike down and the front end doesn't dive so much..I only recently learned this and finally me and my missus don't clatter heads at all any more.
She always said I rode like a London courier on his way to the pub before though... ;D...so any improvement was welcome...
Only saying,like...
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 11:09:42 pm by Lightning_650 »
Lifes a bitch.And then you die.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2015, 11:25:05 pm »
Dunno what bike you are riding Lance, but if it is a K and the front end is diving under any circumstances I would take it back and demand my money back  ;D

The main benefit of the Hossack-alike funny front end we pay top dollar for is that the front doesn't dive under braking!

Brian (who thinks using a little back brake first alerts your pillion to your intentions and then she is prepared for the front and so stops herself head-butting you)

Offline cemartins

• View Profile
    • LinkedIn Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 01:07:06 am »
Hey rusty-pie - I tried the normal setting now. You're right! a lot less wobbly - Thanks!

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2015, 01:44:01 pm »
I only suffered from the head butting when my mate fell asleep many years ago on the back of my Triumph T100 on the boring drag across Northern France.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.