Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136218 times)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #930 on: February 07, 2023, 07:38:55 pm »
Dunno about Indian summer but will be taking a quick blip up to Shropshire tomorrow

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #931 on: February 13, 2023, 11:17:06 pm »
600 miles in the sunshine mostly, and dry nearly all the way, the back roads in Shropshire and Staffordshire were dirty. Glad I had the heated grips though. The fuel economy isn't getting any better, and the engine is running hot at any sustained 80+ cruising. Maybe I can squeeze a bit more life out of the radiator with a dishwasher session next time it comes off for a major service. So mostly a law abiding trip but light traffic especially on the way up compensated. Taking a virtual weekend on Wednesday Thursdays makes for much less traffic.

A motorway bash, and restored my belief in motorway services ie they are nearly all shite. I stopped at Cribb's Causeway Morrisons for fuel due to a slight miscalculation on range, and there was nothing to be had to eat there. (They also have this stupid put your card in and authorise £120 before you fuel up and then credit you back later for what you don't use.) Thus also stopped at Michael Wood services for food, which has had a minor up date over the last year or so and I had thought wasn't so bad. All I wanted was a cup of tea and something hot to eat. Well Burger King was sold out of tea and the burger was horrifically expensive. On the way back I stopped at Hilton Park for fuel, where there was no hot food in the petrol station so I decided to move on. I also noticed the BP ultimate 97 was badged as 95 octane? Am I missing something?

Anyway moving on ended up being Bridgewater at the new Shell station just off J23. Toilets were blocked, no hot food in the fuel station despite the Subway, Greggs and Shell hot counters, no tea, and the drive thru Starbucks was shut. The old Shell station on the edge of Bridgewater used to be a reasonable stop but this isn't. I didnt have time to ride down the road to see if the old Shell is still there. The newish BP over the roundabout is not much better.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #932 on: February 14, 2023, 11:38:30 am »
Good to see an independent and in-depth consumer report on the state of the motorway service industry.

I haven't been to France for almost a decade now but their motorway services were always way better than even the best in UK. Even those that had gone 'modern' still had great meals available and although asking for tea in France is worse than asking for credit, mostly they were happy to accommodate and we actually had fresh leaf tea in a pot on two occasions. Mind, times change.

I just don't understand the race to the bottom that has always been the British Motorway Service area. (Am I supposed to say Britain Motorway Service Area in this non-possessive world?)

Surprised you didn't pop in for tea, you don't have to bring your own biscuits you know...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #933 on: February 14, 2023, 11:47:44 am »
Sorry was on a short sharp trip,will be a little more leisurely next month. See you then probably. Need to take cakes to Mr C and Mrs Canning also...

I took a picture of the BP pump with the odd badging

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #934 on: February 14, 2023, 11:51:18 am »
That's well weird. I never look past the headline on the labels so I might have been swindling myself all along.

Must pay more attention in future...

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #935 on: February 14, 2023, 02:27:33 pm »
That's concerning!

And yes, Brian, on my run through France in December we stopped a few times at services and each one was great. Compared to ours at least. Actually decent coffee machines, actually decent real coffee shops, and restaurant areas that at least looked like places to eat and not die after.

Also every single pump being pay at pump was a delight.
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #936 on: February 14, 2023, 03:44:49 pm »
..on my run through France in December we stopped a few times at services and each one was great. Compared to ours at least. Actually decent coffee machines, actually decent real coffee shops, and restaurant areas that at least looked like places to eat and not die after.

"You are what you eat" as an old French aquaintance used to say.

Large in my case.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: February 14, 2023, 05:23:08 pm »
And a garlic-flavoured escargot patissiere in his/hers/theirs/thems case/s...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 09, 2023, 10:22:10 am »
Knocked off 107k this week at the price of the bike being resprayed shite brown with a soupcon  of salt. Was a bit cold on Tuesday as well, only the 6 layers on. I had to add layer 6 as it rained halfway up the m5.

Anyway it's given up raining and we now have this white shite that being in Cornwall for the last 15 years I've only seen about 3 times. Just waiting for it to go off in the next hour before setting off south. Just the day for a 300 mile blip eh guys?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #939 on: March 09, 2023, 10:35:56 am »
Sorry was on a short sharp trip,will be a little more leisurely next month. See you then probably. Need to take cakes to Mr C and Mrs Canning also...

I took a picture of the BP pump with the odd badging

I can only assume that the pump has been mislabeled. If two grades are offered, one will be E10 95 and the other E5 97+

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/e10-petrol-explained#:~:text=E10%20is%20the%20standard%20grade,(97%2B%20octane)%20petrol.

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #940 on: March 09, 2023, 01:05:05 pm »
The R1250GS doesn't run too well on diesel. Don't ask me how I know.

My mates K1600 didn't run very well at all on diesel. He filled it up and then took it up the motorway getting into three figures before it stopped. Cost him a very expensive engine rebuild.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 10, 2023, 08:47:13 pm »
Well that was unpleasant.
After sitting fully leathered up watching the met office website for 2 hours, I left while it was snowing and 0C, but that only lasted 7 or 8 miles bar the odd flurry. Steady Eddie at 40 to 50 avoiding the slush. By Birmingham it was sleet/rain and 2C. It stopped raining by Worcester and the temperature struggled to 5C by Bristol. I'd had the heated grips on 2 dots and was beginning to wonder if what feeling I had left was cold or wet hands. In 5 miles somewhere between Weston and Bridgwater the temperature soared from 5C to 14C so I pulled in at Bridgwater (the original Shell station in town, not the one I described above) for a warm, tea and fuel. Turned out my BMW Enduroguard gloves had wet out, I suspect because the heated grips reversed the temperature gradient in the glove thus pushing moisture the other way. Plus I had RSI in my left arm from using the visor wipe on my left hand as a windscreen wiper for most of the 156 miles so the glove was very wet. The right glove was dry but you can see the salt stain here

The old Alpinestars oversuit performed faultlessly, not a drop shall pass. Apart from my feet I wasn't particularly cold given I was wearing underwear, 3 layers of EDZ, and Hein Gericke leather with liners in the trousers under the Alpinestars. Ambient high temperature sent the radiator into relapse after it had been loving the deep freeze, so I had to reduce cruising speed, but the temperature steadily dropped back to 7 or 8C as I got into Cornwall. By Okehampton the wind was against me but apart from a couple of showers I managed to get home just as the next weather front arrived. I saw 6 bikes the whole day, nothing North of Worcester and the first one was a police RT going the other way. 627 miles for the week.
Just punched the numbers into the spreadsheet and found that my fill up on Tuesday was the 500th tankful. And VPower is 5 or 6 pence cheaper in the Midlands than Cornwall. Again.
As far as motorway service stations go, I think its better to go into the filling station than the services. In Michael Wood there are a couple of tables where you can have your tea and a munch and a warm. Foods not great but its more convenient than the services.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 10, 2023, 08:57:42 pm »
You are more unhinged a braver man than me. Well done for surviving.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 13, 2023, 08:41:18 pm »
Just bought a pair of tyres - Michelin PR5 - from TyreTec, front £109 and rear £155 plus £7.50 delivery. However that was his last front and he said he'd tried Michelin and they didn't have any. He had no rears for the K13. Anyway he's very promptly refunded the money for the K13 tyres.

Next best price for a front I found was The Visor Shop but they have none left. After that it was Black Circles so I just paid £129.80, and I got a rear for the K13 from MyTyres for £165.39 including delivery.

These prices are about £6 a pair more than December 21 when I bought my last  sets

I looked at PR 6 as they seem more available, but they are basically £25 more expensive than the PR 5 wherever you buy them in whatever size.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 08:48:05 pm by fjtwelve »

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #944 on: April 10, 2023, 09:01:18 pm »
Gave the bike a clean today after a mucky trip to Newton Ferrers yesterday - it rained all the way home in the dark and I found that one of my original LEDs had gone pop on one side of the double sided filament which didn't help in the back lanes before the A38. Mind you on the way there in the afternoon the bike was flying, the Akra lets it rip as you get to 5000rpm. You don't get that instant torque low down like the K13, but it revs more easily

I have long suspected there was some sort of adjustment in the clutch lever and spent a bit of time today while we had some bright sunshine really cleaning out the lever assembly. Sure enough there is a little allen key grub screw so I tried twiddling it. You can see it just to the right of the bronze coloured cam in the photo.

What I wanted to do was screw it in a little to try to get the clutch bite point further away from the bar. However the screw screws in only so far then pops back, and it was already in as far as it would go. Anybody adjusted this before, or replaced the screw? I also think the bearing surfaces between the lever and the cams in the lever mechanism are now worn which is probably contributing to the bite point moving closer to the bar.

I replaced the LED and then dismantled the broken one to see if any of the parts were replaceable (the latest set I bought came with a set of  spare LED elements) but not possible in this case, well certainly for my ham fisted electronic abilities.