Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136209 times)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
Re: K1200S
« Reply #900 on: October 06, 2022, 08:42:48 pm »
Somewhere on here I have read a post about replacing the battery but I do not have the electrical skills equipment and parts so will be getting a new BMW one.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #901 on: October 06, 2022, 10:26:25 pm »
Fresh TPMS thread started here:
https://eurokclub.bike/index.php?topic=5045.0

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #902 on: October 07, 2022, 01:35:47 pm »
The TPMS parts are listed as NLA no longer available. Bit of tinternet hunting coming up. And the abs sensor retaining bolt was seized in so need a new one of those as it hasn't survived the extraction process.
The current part number listed by BMW will provide a 2 piece (sensor and valve separate) kit. The original kit is in one piece and is not available from BMW. I have just sourced a one piece unit from Motorworks here https://www.motorworks.co.uk/tyre-pressure-sensor-and-valve-wha94420-4.html. Yeah, £ouch.

You can see the different types here https://shop.maxbmw.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=51576&rnd=09082020
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 01:37:21 pm by fjtwelve »

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #903 on: October 13, 2022, 08:27:28 pm »
So the abs light has stopped flashing, the wheels match for the first time in ages and the tps works. Although its showing 3.3 bar so it's either faulty or they've put the wrong pressure in the new tyre. Hey ho just cant get the staff.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #904 on: October 20, 2022, 07:35:08 pm »
These accidentally fell in the boot of the car as I passed near Swindon yesterday

So I now have an almost complete spare set of body panels albeit not the right colour. However I'd rather only be looking for someone to spray panels glossy black than looking for the panels should I need to do so

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #905 on: November 26, 2022, 03:23:03 pm »
So the week before last was a study in dodging the weather as I did 850 miles up as far as Barnoldswick via the Welsh borders, Shropshire, Staffs to see relatives, with a stop at Manchester Airport to see some old colleagues (well they're all younger than me but you get what I mean) thrown in.
The good bits were I did actually have quite a lot of enjoyable riding over 3 days, the Kahedo seat proved eminently comfortable on the long motorway drags, and the upside-down blade on the MRA screen really worked well.
The less good bits were: Manchester Airport coffee (I use the term loosely); getting a blown headlamp bulb in the dark and it starting to rain; dropping the black rubber seal for the headlamp cover on black tarmac under a black bike in a dark pub carpark; almost running out of fuel in that petrol station wilderness between Stoke and Crewe; and filling the radiator with Shropshire mud. Being well trained by the forum I had a spare bulb but had for reasons best known to karma had changed where I had packed my headlamp so couldn't find it.  The spare was an original 55W H7, and God how did I ever think these were good headlights.

It was grey up North, but I was happy as long as it stayed dry, and very glad the heated grips worked

On the way up I had passed phmode in his car (how very dare he) (I hasten to add he was going the other way otherwise how could I have passed him) after deciding very late on to dodge the rain by going up the A49 thus had not called in advance, so I dropped in on the way back. Shortly thereafter 106,000 popped up as I pulled in at Gloucester Services.

The radiator blockage was causing me to go relatively slowly as anything sustained over 80 resulted in the temperature display making a bid for freedom. The rest of the bike wasn't exactly clean either

Last week's weather hasn't exactly been conducive to working outside so it was Tuesday before I started cleaning. I got the worst off before getting driven back indoors. Next day I decided to pop the LEDs into the K12 ready for the next trip up. Silly mistake. The LEDs have a collar to suit the H7 fitting in the reflector. Butterfingers here managed to drop the collar in between the reflector and the surrounding housing. Fishing with a hooky bit of wire proved very frustrating as i could hook it, could see it at the front of the headlight, but couldn't pull it back through the gap it had fallen through. Sometime later I was mad (in both senses of the word) and decided to dismantle the front fairing to get the headlamp unit out and retrieve the little bar steward. Never done this before so starting in the dark at 7pm was obviously a great plan. so after a blur of torx driving later there was a large pile of fairing parts, a pot full of screws and a sealed headlamp unit. I say sealed because although it had originally been clipped together, after 14 years the plastic had decided it wasn't for bending and the first clip i undid snapped off. Also one of the the bolts in the indicator stalks on each side had been threadlocked in harder than the sleeve in the stalk had been threadlocked into the stalk, so the bolt and sleeve had come out as one. At this point i piled all the bits into the porch, covered up the bike, and went to the Coop for more wine.

Next day while the weather raged, I hunted on Amazon for either very bright H7s or LEDs without fitting collars. I ended up buying these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BFHFXHVN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When the weather eased, I reassembled everything, finding more bolt holes than bolts. At some point in the dim and distant past someone had dismantled and reassembled the fairing without bothering to worry about the left-over parts. However, years ago Brian had given me a set of fairing screws that someone had ordered in a forum bulk order but never collected. So that solved the bolt problem.  While all the lower fairings were off, I started cleaning the radiator. It's in a pretty sorry state, some area will not pass any water through even after 2 days of cleaning and scrubbing with the usual concoction of cleaning agents. It'll be a while before it comes off for a major service and I can get it in the dishwasher, so I am going to have to start looking for a spare I suppose. The original radiator did 60k miles and this is at 46k so it might last a bit longer. That was another weather window gone so covered it all up again and hid from the weather again.

Day 3 started with the Amazon Prime delivery of the LEDs so we got those fitted straight away. Nicely made, no fan so less bulky, sensitive to +ve and -ve so you have to get the connector the right way around, no canbus issues, but occasionally a LAMPF signal. Haven't been out to see what they are like but will report back. Everything now back together and coated with WD40 and ACF 50, ready to do it all again in a couple of weeks. Must be bonkers. Reminds me, must take the LEDs out ready for the MOT next week...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 01:10:09 pm by fjtwelve »

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 28, 2022, 09:58:03 am »
Went out in the dark last night to see how the new LEDs are. It rained as well just to add to the testing programme. As expected on full beam they are excellent, but dip was disappointing. Lack of intensity and definition. Wet rainy road without a white line on the verge or cats eyes in the middle is not good. Basically you can tool along on full beam at any speed you like but suddenly find you have to drop well below 50 if you dip for oncoming traffic, and start searching for the hint of verge you can see in the oncoming headlights.  So tonight's exercise is to put the remaining original collared LED in the dip position  and see if that improves it. 

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #907 on: November 28, 2022, 10:35:26 am »
Went out in the dark last night to see how the new LEDs are. It rained as well just to add to the testing programme. As expected on full beam they are excellent, but dip was disappointing. Lack of intensity and definition. Wet rainy road without a white line on the verge or cats eyes in the middle is not good. Basically you can tool along on full beam at any speed you like but suddenly find you have to drop well below 50 if you dip for oncoming traffic, and start searching for the hint of verge you can see in the oncoming headlights.  So tonight's exercise is to put the remaining original collared LED in the dip position  and see if that improves it.

Have you tried an HID in the dip position? Trust me, it's superb. Buy a cheap H7 car kit off eBay. swap the dip and one high for HID and have a LED in the other high position. If you get the slim ballasts, they'll fit inside the headlight shell, so no housing issues and no cutting required. It really is "plug and play".
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 28, 2022, 03:12:03 pm »
Not yet. Have discussed it but as I have what could be best described as boilermakers fingers the idea of manipulating ballast into the back of the reflector didn't appeal, LED seemed easier. If ballasts are now smaller I'll have a  look.

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
« Reply #909 on: November 28, 2022, 03:20:29 pm »
As you have both the 1200 and the 1300, you could use the car kit across both bikes. The first ballast is dead easy to get in. It's the second that requires a little more dexterity.
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #910 on: November 28, 2022, 03:32:35 pm »
Just looking now. Theres some expensive kits out there. Any recommendations?

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
« Reply #911 on: November 28, 2022, 03:46:04 pm »
The ones I used were just eBay specials. I think I went for the 50w versions on my 1300s but had the 35w on my 1200. I didn't really notice the difference. I had the 6000k one on the 1200 but found that a little blue. I preferred the 4300k units I put in the 1300s. they were closer in colour to the traditional halogen units but the 5000k units may be a good in-between?

I've just had a look on eBay and there's loads of kits around £30

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #912 on: December 03, 2022, 08:20:29 pm »
Seeing as it was nigh on freezing today I went outside and fitted the Optimate trailing lead and socket I bought about a year ago. This is hard wired to the battery but has a connector halfway along which means I can break the lead and can use the Slime pump if I get a puncture.

The socket is a BMW bike sized one. I am thinking about swapping it for a USB socket if I can find one suitable then I can plug my phone into it without needing another lead with a car sized socket to take a USB adaptor, although there are a million and one different accessories that fit those. Electrics are not my strong point

Also gave the old girl a wash after the outing the other night. Comes up pretty well imho.

I also had a fiddle with the LEDs. I swapped the new LED I'd put in the dip reflector with the old, collared LED I had put in one of the mains, as I was sure it had been better with that type before. Waited til it went dark and went out for a run to Penzance. Immediate improvement although cut off still a bit fuzzy. Stopped at Helston and rotated the LED element in the collar so it was vertical, having set it horizontal to match the newer LEDs.  POW! normal service resumed. I got flashed once and was also having to hang back from cars to avoid dazzling their rear-view mirrors. Got to Penzance and altered the reflector to its lower setting. This seemed to fix the issue and I am now back to a proper spread of LED dip beam without annoying anyone, and 2 LED on main beam. 

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #913 on: December 06, 2022, 08:31:10 pm »
MOT day today. Thought i was going to be in and out in an hour. However my mate Murphy detected a loose ball joint and you know how easy those are to get at. Well if you don't- they aren't, and it's some stupid torque number required to boot. Anyway 3 hours later all done and no charge for  the fannying about. While I was waiting I looked up the mot rules on headlight bulbs. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions/mot-special-notice-01-21-headlamp-conversions
That'll be the last time I switch out the LEDS  then

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #914 on: December 07, 2022, 11:55:08 am »
Oooh! That's a coincidence. I thought I was the only numpty who would put up with slithering through frozen apple mush to get the bike to the MoT this afternoon. 0°C out there and no chance of an improvement before the off.

Why would I own a bike for almost 7 years and still not have bothered to change the MoT date to a balmy August afternoon?

And then, having popped the phone on the QuadLock Mount while I was moving it out of the garage, I couldn't get the bloody thing off again. Magnetic charging mount in the car, weatherproof charging mount on the bike. It just pops off the car mount but requires a shove on the mount behind the phone and then a 1/4 turn to release it from the bike. Who knew?

Well, Jessica at QuadLock knew. And now so do I  :)

Just checked all my HID's are blindingly operative, the mega twin-tone horn scared the neighbours half to death and even the side light bulb (the one in the middle of both sides) is working.

What could possibly go wrong?