Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136187 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: K1200S
« Reply #885 on: March 31, 2022, 11:31:23 am »
All sounds like very good reasons for keeping it!
Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #886 on: April 07, 2022, 01:02:37 pm »
Another week another funeral, seem to be getting to that time of life. Bloody miserable weather for the trip too, my old original thread of coincidences and the weather still holds true. After a couple of weeks of nice sunny dry weather I spent 3 days in rain of varying intensities, usually the "just enough to smear you in sticky dirty wet road spray" variety without being heavy enough to wash off, cold and cloudy "its grim up north" stuff.

The cold weather caused another problem. Having previously painted the pannier support rail with Hammerite primer and paint and been pleased with the result, recoating the bit that had been wrapped around the rear wheel was less satisfactory. I think I just did not get the frame and the paint warm enough and the first coat looked more like sheepswool than glossy smooth. The second coat was better but its not pretty. Having found four 5mm allan bolts in my box of spare bolts i took nearly an hour of screwing them in and out of the mounting nuts in the subframe to get rid of all the shite in the threads. I then found the frame had bent slightly during its trip around the rear wheel but fortunately it allowed itself to be persuaded into position. Liberal application of Loctite medium thread-lock went with the very tight fitting bolts and the frame is back in place. Its stayed put for this weeks 6  or 700 mile jaunt

Arriving at the first fuel stop in Bodmin I discovered a queued out of the slip road Morrisons, a shut Asda and a Texaco that only sold E10. Unwilling to chance running out and getting stranded over the moor for once, I eventually filled with E10. Needless to say all the garages on the moor were open without queues as I passed. The E10 disappeared at just under 40mpg but that was probably more to do with the tank average of 81mph than 95RON rating. The 5-10% reduction in fuel economy since the Akra was fitted probably also contributed. I have not been able to justify or finance the cross country trip to BSD for a remap yet.

The next day I was chauffeuring my dad and sister on a 200 mile trip around the north west motorway network to get to the funeral in my dads S class. I do not like Mercedes. Its almost tolerable on the motorway but on country roads its a barge. Nor much fun on the crammed motorways around Manchester either.

The trip home was showery but after about 150 miles fighting my way into the teeth of a strong and wet SW wind I got pissed off and took to the A39. This proved to be a research trip to accumulate data on how slow people in North Somerset drive around. The Bridgewater to Minehead section is double white lined for most of its length as are most nice curvy bits of road around there so there are sweet FA overtaking opportunities. Not that I was going too fast as the top dressing (pour liquid asphalt and spread loose chippings then sweep up the ones that don't stick) laid during lockdown has mostly worn off, except for the lines where the asphalt nozzles dripped it onto the road. This makes many corners feel like either you have 2 flat tyres or getting your wheels stuck in different tram lines as the front and rear wheel track between different lines of chippings.. mmmm nice.. even better with a spread of mud from the local farmers to help the slip and slide . Eventually I stopped at Lynmouth for a bacon sarnie and tea. Riding up the gorge out of town was interesting. I know the road reasonably well after commuting to Hinkley Point a few years ago, but the overhanging rock and dodgy side walls of stone are now joined with some areas of road that are not just potholed but structurally failing. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets closed rather than repaired, won't be cheap.

The Morrisons in Bude only sells E10 fuel so carried on into town to find E5 at the other petrol station. A few miles later the 105,000 came up

The bike was clean before I set off, honest. The last mile to my dads house up the lanes, and North Somerset roads fixed that.

The "brake failure" light is on again so I assume there's an ABS fault somewhere. I can live without it.

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #887 on: April 07, 2022, 02:08:13 pm »

The next day I was chauffeuring my dad and sister on a 200 mile trip around the north west motorway network to get to the funeral in my dads S class. I do not like Mercedes. Its almost tolerable on the motorway but on country roads its a barge. Nor much fun on the crammed motorways around Manchester either.

Which year or shape S class is it? I do notice with my switch from the e46 to the Mercedes e coupe c207 thing it's less rewarding on those country roads. But then I did buy it for wafting and not making progress followed by getting annoyed by the 40mph brigade/majority.

I do like the look of the S but it is a big bugger.

I'm glad you managed to recover the bracket!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #888 on: April 08, 2022, 05:52:54 pm »
S350 BlueTEC 254 bhp

As for the bracket, after cleaning the bike today i can see the panniers have taken some of the paint of the bracket so I will have to take it off and do it again.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #889 on: April 12, 2022, 05:50:31 pm »
Have you got the hooky thingies that go over the mounting rail correctly adjusted and made sure that the rubber cushion is still present? If they are not keeping the case rock solid then the vibration and movement can eat the paint once grit gets in there.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 27, 2022, 01:36:59 pm »
AGATT

However will not be wearing this on this weekends trip to scotland

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #891 on: July 09, 2022, 05:44:26 pm »
A wee jaunt up to North Cornwall Motorcycles in Bude with son#2  on his Husky Svartpilen just to see if it all still works. Typically the tyre pressures were a bit low after standing for a couple of months. Local garage tyre pump blew up the rear ok and managed to let all almost the air out of the front without blowing it up. Wobbled around to my sons house a few hundred yards away at 0.6bar and blew it up with his compressor. That stupid valve stem on the front wheel still annoys me after all this time. Unless you have an unworn stem on the garage air pump it won't connect properly. Will have to buy another one of these https://www.nippynormans.com/f650gs-08-on/forecourt-valve-conversion-tool

The NCMC shop has plenty of interesting bikes inside, Bimota, Ducati, old DT400 and DT175 in amongst about 70 bikes for sale. Plenty of people there sitting in the sun having breakfast from the café at the shop. Ideal place for a Saturday morning run in the sun. http://www.ncmc.co.uk/

FJR1200 2006 6k miles for under 6k had to stop myself as new shed still at this stage (that breaker is an animal but it weighs 25kg and its transformer possibly more). The old shed has been dismantled and re-erected at son#2 house to enjoy a well earned sheltered retirement after 10 years being blasted by the seafront weather

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #892 on: July 09, 2022, 06:19:16 pm »
Looking good Martin. That breaker might be a beast but it won't wreck your wrists like wot my little one did  :winkthumbs:

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 26, 2022, 02:48:51 pm »
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9iKt1ODRP3U

Went out for a run with a couple of the lads yesterday....this is the start, those with sharp eyes may pick me out at around 9mins 15secs on the left side of the outgoing flow.

This is the Martin Jennings Memorial run, remembering a local guy who died at the TT.  Started with a group of mates going for a ride in 1987. This is the 35th run.  I've seen it go by my house for the last 15 years so finally decided to join in. Very severe test of the old radiator to ride so far so slowly (110 miles at average 28mph) and it did finally hit the roof with all the temperature blocks filled in and a big flashing red light. Fortunately that coincided with one of the stops so it cooled down for 15mins. Saw one other K on the run, one going in the opposite direction at one point, and picked another out in a video later. Not common....

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #894 on: September 26, 2022, 03:00:27 pm »
Not common....

I saw 4 (four!) yesterday on a round trip to Skeggy:
- Blue & white
- Silver
- Red & white
- Blue & white (possibly the first one again, but quite a few miles later)

Last chance to get a ride in? (if you do the Apr-Oct 'I don't ride in the winter' thing, and miss out on October and most of November being nice. But they're right about Dec,Jan,Feb and most of March!)

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 26, 2022, 08:46:52 pm »
I was there honest

Note to self - need to get some leathers that fit

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #896 on: October 06, 2022, 11:17:40 am »
Finally got the bike in to change the tyres and swap out the badly scratched grey rear wheel from the falling off panniers rail incident. I have the original silver one to hand to be dropped in, as any well prepared K owner does, don't they?  A new rear TPS unit to replace the old I'll work when I want to unit. And the flashing brake failure light  is looking like the front wheel abs sensor needs replacing. All will be revealed tomorrow I hope.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: October 06, 2022, 03:36:33 pm »
A new rear TPS unit to replace the old I'll work when I want to unit.

Hmm, I have one of those 'work when I want to' ones too, I think.
Mostly working, but it goes quiet every now and then for 5-10 mins. No error is thrown about a missing/faulty sensor though.
Is that the symptom you see?

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #898 on: October 06, 2022, 04:29:32 pm »
Yes very similar.  The first rear TPS lasted 47k, this one has lasted 58k and has been in and out of different wheels. The original front TPS lasted 92k miles despite the bashing it has had in several wheels, changed due to bent rims. The ABS sensor was replaced at 84k so the second one has only lasted 21k miles. Not so good. Use it or lose it.

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: October 06, 2022, 08:02:49 pm »
Hey ho. So it goes. Dare I ask the fix?
Maybe buy one (from 3rd party or BMW?) and take it along on the next tyre change?