Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136194 times)

Offline black-k1

• An Original Old Git.
    • View Profile
    • The Old Gits
  • My K bike model:: ex K1200S, K1300S Sport & K1300S Motorsport owner. Now a Kawasaki H2 SX SE owner
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Upgrade to Kawasaki H2 SX SE! Almost 220bhp at the wheel! BST Carbon wheels and Sargent seat
Re: K1200S
« Reply #390 on: January 04, 2019, 02:58:43 pm »

My K is at 28,000 miles and I feel like I need to try something new or else I will have the same bike/brand for ever!

Good point - just be prepared to come back to Ks.  8)

Although, I have to say, if KTM wrapped their Super Duke GT in something that wasn't quite so upright, I would be tempted.

The KTM SD GT is VERY adjustable.  Are you there's not an adjustment to fit? :D

Correct rear brake use is scientifically proven to shorten stopping distances in EVERY road situation.

European Motorcycle Tours since 1998
The Old Gits - www.old-gits.org

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #391 on: January 04, 2019, 06:52:42 pm »
Being 6'5"ish, a bike with bars coming backwards means I sit almost upright, in the wind. At least with the K I get to lean into the wind a little.

See here:
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Compare K1300s v Super Duke GT (and set it up for 6'5" + 36" legs).

I may well go towards a more upright bike as I get less flexibile, but for the moment the K fits nicely.

Offline sudolea

• View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 05, 2019, 11:46:25 am »
Being 6'5"ish, a bike with bars coming backwards means I sit almost upright, in the wind. At least with the K I get to lean into the wind a little.

See here:
http://cycle-ergo.com/

Compare K1300s v Super Duke GT (and set it up for 6'5" + 36" legs).

Interesting. I came along this (or something simiular if not exactly this) a while ago. Remarkable how much my current bike (VFR800F) and my old K1300S are similar in forward lean indeed. Of course, Richard, your numbers are rather uncommon.
There are I0 kinds of people : those who can count in binary, and those who can't...

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2019, 05:01:57 pm »
I popped the Stormex cover on this weekend. I bought a medium and it fits very snugly even with my larger/higher MRA Vario screen. The screen lifts the cover very slightly but the bottom of the cover still tucks low enough on the front wheel to keep it down. The cover tucks nicely low on the rear tyre, and nice strong elastic around the bottom of the cover plus a strap under the bellypan keeps the cover down. Comes in a decent bag about the size of my tankbag to keep it in. We'll see how durable it is.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #394 on: January 08, 2019, 12:04:18 am »
Long term it doesn't like exposure to the elephants, especially the sun. I think it needs a cover of some sort...

Mine is a few years old now and was the model with the stupid 'nostril' air vents above the pillion seat which, with the wind and rain coming from the rear, just funnelled gallons of water into the cover  :-\

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #395 on: January 08, 2019, 06:14:45 pm »
Long term it doesn't like exposure to the elephants, especially the sun. I think it needs a cover of some sort...

Mine is a few years old now and was the model with the stupid 'nostril' air vents above the pillion seat which, with the wind and rain coming from the rear, just funnelled gallons of water into the cover  :-\
You could super glue the air vents shut.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #396 on: January 08, 2019, 06:46:42 pm »
The vents on mine are under the ears for the mirrors so should be better.  Will post any problems

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #397 on: January 09, 2019, 07:58:45 pm »
You'd be doing well with superglue Tom. Mine were stitched open and reinforced. Rivetting might have worked.

Mine also had the ears by the mirrors. Just nostrils over the pillion seat too. Rubbish!

Online fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #398 on: January 10, 2019, 12:11:56 pm »

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #399 on: January 10, 2019, 03:24:39 pm »
No problem when I'm on the bike but a PITA when in the car/van.

I love it when they see my van coming down the road and then turn out in front of me and don't put their foot down. >:(
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:19 pm »
So maybe it isn't just me in my dusty little corner of the Welsh Marches after all...

Interesting that nowhere in the article did it mention the obvious solution of....wait for it....dramatic drum-roll....overtaking  8)

My very wise (not to mention brave, fearless, patient, saintly and very rapid) driving instructor explained to me that it was not the person at the front of the inevitable queue I always ended up at the back of who was causing the queue. It was the second person in the queue who was causing it.

This was the same driving instructor who used a wooden ruler to smack pupils across the knuckles every time they were driving too slow or too fast for either the conditions or the limit. I learned very quickly.

The punishment for not telling him every time you spotted a potential overtake makes me shudder every time I think about it...

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #401 on: January 11, 2019, 12:50:47 am »
Misssed overtakes!  ::)

Should be a law against it. >:(

Coully

« Reply #402 on: January 11, 2019, 10:43:41 am »
I perhaps err on the side of caution in my approach to overtaking but aye, if the 1st person is driving too slow, then its 2nd place that's the issue.
People complain about the A96 (aberdeen-inverness) up here and granted its not brilliant in places but where they can , there are crawler lanes etc. Adequate opportunities exist on it in other places but you can't legislate for the person driving 45 on a 60 in good conditions , nor the poor , ahem, unfortunate that cant seem to overtake ANYWHERE  >:( . And if its nae slow driving its hesitation at junctions ,......that really grinds my gears

Online Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: January 11, 2019, 11:40:29 am »
There are way too many folk on the roads who are content to follow the car, or worse, the TRUCK in front and then they instantly go into baby elephant mode and latch onto the safety blanket in front with never a thought to drive at their own speed.

I will always overtake as soon as I can unless it is rush hour with a gazillion things in front and I'm only going a couple of miles. Even then I will always overtake what I can if I'm on the bike.

For me it is the principle of driving at my pace, not someone else's and planning and executing an overtake keeps my pea-like brain active for when I need it.

Am I 'becoming' grumpy or what?

Coully

« Reply #404 on: January 11, 2019, 01:36:49 pm »
I wouldna say that, ... If the person in front is on or around my intended speed then i'll follow, certainly at night