Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 136630 times)

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #330 on: September 28, 2018, 07:20:57 pm »
You do know that slipping the clutch is what causes it to fail... ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #331 on: October 03, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »
Update on clutch progress
"Have now completed the re engineering of the clutch basket and hub/pressure plate. Ready for de greasing and assembly once its dried off. The new pack of clutch plates arrived today so if all runs to plan I'm hoping it will be assembled by the end of the week."

Royal Mail and Ocean Falmouth willing it should be in the bike in w/c 15 October. I am really looking forward to getting back to a normal clutch instead of this on / off switch, and keen to see if any of the other vibes and noises off disappear too

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #332 on: October 09, 2018, 05:45:24 pm »
Clutch rebuilt and paid for, awaiting the courier. Bike booked into Ocean next week for the switchover.

John says

"Basket is rebuilt using new main load springs and idle control spring, other new internal parts and with the 1200 engines oil pump drive. The hub (lamellar pack) has all new faces for the friction plates on the flange and pressure plate with a complete new set of friction and steel plates. I have also incorporated the the 1300 engines type of anti chatter spring withing the plate pack as hoped."

Offline Costas

• Riders drive K, a Hawk flies, both are fast
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #333 on: October 10, 2018, 09:56:40 am »
Excellent photos thanks for sharing.
Embrace the wind.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 10, 2018, 10:02:14 am »
I assume you are talking about the sunset etc. I will put piccies of the new clutch and what's left of the old one up as they come available.  If its in a fit state to rebuild I'll hold on to the old clutch for anyone who wants to do the same thing as me (exchanged for a suitable quantity of drinking vouchers).

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 10, 2018, 12:59:00 pm »
Clutch pic at sunset.

All angles covered!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:45:17 pm by richtea »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 10, 2018, 01:30:27 pm »
My Chinese administrator Ho Lee Fuk has just given me the Hollandish speeding fine as mentioned above. :o :o I know they couldn't catch me until I got to the 80km/h ring road, and they didn't have a recorded speed for me but were doing 1** to catch me up so I'm not going to argue, but strewth. You can forget about the algorithms on the website, the prosecutor can use their discretion. At least they didn't add on a victim charge (thank you Bodmin for that one).

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 10, 2018, 04:08:08 pm »
Moving swiftly on, busy day today, a last note on the clutch

“The clutch is assembled dry (no oil other than needed for assembly) with the two main parts ready to fit. Both basket and particularly the hub with its new plates only need a further small amount of oil pouring into their centres to wet everything all over. All this talk of leaving to soak overnight immersed in oil is not required. Perhaps wishful thinking by folk who know their clutch is in poor condition.

I have also included a separate steel plate and a separate friction plate in the box. They are 0.2 and 0.8 mm thicker than those in the rebuilt hub pack. These could come in handy to save the clutch if exchanged for their thinner equivalents to restore the original thickness if there is any sign of slip due to lining wear in the distant future. Perhaps pass on to future owners just in case so that there is maximum life to be had out of the clutch and bike.

The bikes original thrust washer between basket and hub along with release bearing and hub nut need transferring to be used again. Please encourage the workshop to fit the hub without dismantling. Some try to remove the six hexagon socket head screws that compress the pressure spring as they don't have the correct large socket for the hub nut. They need a thin wall socket to fit through the release bearing carrier to tighten the main hub nut. Even new hubs have been fitted at BMW shops by dismantling first. Problem is the alignment can be disturbed and the bike kangaroos off the line the second the second it starts to move forwards.”

Offline Costas

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: BMW Motorrad rider and pillion HP4 pegs,10-30 lit tank bag, SENA for BMW intercom system. Evo air filters. TechSpec tank pads. MIZU lowering dogbone system. B2 accelerator. Wunderlich adjustable levers, hub , brake caliber protectors, duolever bold protector. Turatech ABS Sensor protectors. IDE bars. Rizoma rear led signal lights, bar ends with lever protectors. Sargent complete system seat (pod, pillion backrest). Shrodie side badge led signal lights two modes. LED lights 2X35W 3000k high beam, 10W parking two modes. Tracker. Metisse front wheel protector sliders. R&G water pump protector, cardan protector. Ilmberger carbon set. Ztechnic tank protector,DT wimglets.
  • Location:: Athens, Greece, KS-Loutsa 37°58'16.6"N 23°59'06.8"E 37.971269, 23.985224
« Reply #338 on: October 10, 2018, 05:34:00 pm »
Excellent report on clutch repairs.
Do the admin gurus think - believe as I  that all clutch related posts should be removed and merged together on technical section? To me the updates provide extremely useful info . Tks
Embrace the wind.

Offline raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #339 on: October 10, 2018, 06:29:36 pm »
I have always agreed with this policy Costas, some good technical information gets lost in long running threads. It is met with resistance.
So you might want to pick out the relevant bits and copy and paste them into a new thread.

Offline Costas

• View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 10, 2018, 06:34:55 pm »
Will try my best asap
Embrace the wind.

Offline TomL

• View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 11, 2018, 12:11:32 am »
Moving swiftly on, busy day today, a last note on the clutch

“The clutch is assembled dry (no oil other than needed for assembly) with the two main parts ready to fit. Both basket and particularly the hub with its new plates only need a further small amount of oil pouring into their centres to wet everything all over. All this talk of leaving to soak overnight immersed in oil is not required. Perhaps wishful thinking by folk who know their clutch is in poor condition.

I have also included a separate steel plate and a separate friction plate in the box. They are 0.2 and 0.8 mm thicker than those in the rebuilt hub pack. These could come in handy to save the clutch if exchanged for their thinner equivalents to restore the original thickness if there is any sign of slip due to lining wear in the distant future. Perhaps pass on to future owners just in case so that there is maximum life to be had out of the clutch and bike.

The bikes original thrust washer between basket and hub along with release bearing and hub nut need transferring to be used again. Please encourage the workshop to fit the hub without dismantling. Some try to remove the six hexagon socket head screws that compress the pressure spring as they don't have the correct large socket for the hub nut. They need a thin wall socket to fit through the release bearing carrier to tighten the main hub nut. Even new hubs have been fitted at BMW shops by dismantling first. Problem is the alignment can be disturbed and the bike kangaroos off the line the second the second it starts to move forwards.”
I used a standard 1/2" drive impact socket to remove my clutch. There is no problem if the if the six hexagon socket screws are fitted after the main hub nut is fitted.
As I have grown older, I've learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 12, 2018, 04:14:31 pm »
224 dry miles to the Chunnel. Have this feeling that's not going to last...

Online Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #343 on: October 12, 2018, 06:45:31 pm »
It's the leaves you need to watch out for and all that yeuky emulsion they produce when pounded into the tarmac by trucks and cars...very, very slippery indeed with a little water thrown into the mix.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 13, 2018, 12:05:01 am »
Luckily 400 dry but breezy miles, unluckily 150 unpleasantly wet and windy ones. The upside is I found I quite like the pr5 on the back , its planted in the wet, no unexpected movements. Found myself riding almost as if it were dry after a while. Think my neck will be letting me know tomorrow about the 20mph headwind I had all afternoon, it was very gusty too even the Dutch had turned their windmills off.