Author Topic: K1200S  (Read 134130 times)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
  • I am the evil webmaster, do not cross me!
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: BMW K1300S 2012
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
Re: K1200S
« Reply #465 on: April 12, 2019, 11:40:48 am »
The K is the only bike I've had where I could tell when it had Tescos 99 in it.

The no-filtering nonsense in Chermany is a right pain. You were lucky that a) the smart lady was nice and b) you didn't get shot for it... :D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Night Black K1200S 2008, Motorsport K1300S 2016
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #466 on: April 14, 2019, 09:48:53 pm »
So, the return trip. The weather forecast said showers so I was thinking there won't be any heroics given the front tyre is 98% shot. What they didn't say was there would be snow  :o.
Anyway back safe and sound in Amsterdam. About 1150 miles for the weekend. Will put up a few pics tomorrow. Oh and by the way can confirm the recommended speed limit when using the large soft bag is conservative. Very. Even with a headwind. (Definition: there's so much wind I think my heads going to come off. )  Must stop baiting sports cars

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: K1200S: Low seat, Kahedo seat, full Akrapovic system, BSD remap, LED headlight bulbs, Pazzo levers, slate grey wheels, MRA Vario touring screen with inverted spoiler, RAM phone mount, RG crash bungs; Bagster tank bag & BMW large soft bag & BMW expanding panniers shared between bikes; K1300S LED headlights, RAM phone mount
« Reply #467 on: April 15, 2019, 06:52:43 pm »
Ach so vere are zee picktuures?

Well here's the route by Spotwalla

When I left Munich the forecast for Baden Baden was about 7 or 8C and occasional showers. Nobody mentioned snow. So as I trundled up North , somewhere near south of Stuttgart I realised that the white stuff in the fields wasn't some sort of flower or clover but lying snow. I had another hot start problem at the first fuel stop and had to do another bump start. Thereafter I went and got a drink and a bite to eat at each stop, and left the bike to its own devices for 15-20 mins when it would start straightaway. Never had this before.

Temperature started dropping as I headed West towards the 500 so on went the waterproof suit and on went the heated grips. This shot was taken a few miles before I got to the turning. At least the roads are dry I thought, heaving the front wheel around which was not only on its last legs but also being squared off by 700 miles of Autobahn. 

Then when I got to the turning the roads were distinctly damp. So damp roads, temperature hovering around freezing, shagged front tyre, what's not to like? ???

Upwards and onwards then, wondering why 2 months previously I been whistling around Cornwall in sunny 16C dryness and warmth and now in "Spring " I was freezing my gonads off on slippery wet roads. Speed can be very deceptive and after so long on the autobahn my head was dialled into going fairly fast. So thinking I was bimbling carefully I looked down to find myself doing 60 or 70 several times on a road that had mist hazing over it mostly wet with some dry patches and temperatures doing there best to get above zero. The higher I got the worse it got. The first bit is fairly open, but the Northern end and the descent into Baden Baden is a lot twistier and I certainly wasn't doing 60 down there. There are some definitely naughty corners going down the hill and the scrape marks in the road show that a few people get caught out. I was leaning over and off a lot more than I wanted too, squeaky bum wasn't in it. Just goes to show tyres are better than you think. I saw one other bike from leaving the autobahn to arriving in BB. The road through BB is in a tunnel where the temperature promptly shot up to 16C. Must be all the hot baths...

Emerging from the tunnel I was following TomTom and keeping the sun to the left when I saw a sign for Paris. Paris? WTF? Seconds later the roundabout sign said "Cedez le passage" and I realised I'd crossed the border. Sure enough there was a sign up the road saying France and a speed camera. Ok there wasn't a camera but adding France to the list of countries where I've been done for speeding wasn't on my to-do list for the day. Oh, wait, its already on the list, but that's another story.

Anyway I was soon back in Germany and tanking it up the autobahn as fast as I could, traffic was a lot lighter than Thursday. The Varioscreen takes a lot of windblast away but dumps a lot of air on my shoulders. This causes a lot of noise despite the earplugs. I discovered this when I was busy groping to do up a zip with left hand and twisted my shoulder right down. The effect on the noise was dramatic. The noise levels also vary with how stuffed/expanded my tankbag is, it affects the windflow behind the screen and how much I can lower my head and shoulders. So all I need to do is ride with my arms crossed and that'll solve it...

Continuous cruising at 110 or more causes the engine to start running hot, even in cool i.e. less than 10C, conditions. Roll back to 90-100 the gauge drops back again. I assume the radiator has partially blocked again.

So why did I go? The biggest show of construction equipment in the world, once every three years. Here's the hook of one of the cranes, I couldn't fit the whole thing into a picture.

Anyway all the excitement's over. Just totting up fuel receipts . €1.949 a litre anyone? Quick blip back to Falmouth on Thursday where a service and new front tyre awaits.

Oh, nearly forgot, 89,000 up. Just keeping up with the traffic officer  8)

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Sargent Seat, Powerbronze Screen, Akrapovic Silencer, Ilmberger Hugger, K12S Black Top Yoke, Helibars, Cruise, Centre Stand, Sidestand Extender, Full 3M Film, Barkbusters Hand Guards in winter.
« Reply #468 on: April 15, 2019, 07:38:29 pm »
So, no playing on the B500 then...

At the current rate of use, when should we book the NEC for the BMW K1200 100,000 mile EuroKClub party?

Or is that tempting fate a little too much Martin?

Offline richtea

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: K1300S
« Reply #469 on: April 15, 2019, 09:26:18 pm »
So, no playing on the B500 then...

At the current rate of use, when should we book the NEC for the BMW K1200 100,000 mile EuroKClub party?

Or is that tempting fate a little too much Martin?

That would be a fun meeting. Not at the NEC though.
Maybe somewhere classy between, well, Falmouth and Holland. Haynes Museum, Fleet Air Arm Museum?

Or better still, a ride out and we ALL stop and take the 100k photo on whatever A-road we're on.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 09:27:55 pm by richtea »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 15, 2019, 11:52:57 pm »
Well 90k should turn up in the next week. I'll have a look at the next few months and see what's likely. If the weather improves I will be taking off for a run in the evenings after work. And there's a couple of to an fro to the uk. 100k towards the end of the year I suspect. Then you can all club together and get me a k13 as you all say it's better than the 12....

Offline Matt

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: KTM 1290 Super Duke GT
  • Modifications and add-ons:: Oberon slave cylinder, 3D printed nav mount
« Reply #471 on: April 16, 2019, 09:30:26 am »
Hey Martin, that's a lovely looking crane!

All this construction equipment, was there anything in the way of Smart Tools? i.e. longevity management, wear & tear monitoring, performance & consumption tracking of consumable components?

Perhaps they won't be widespread until 5G comes along properly, but without needing to stream 4k video of shearing bolts I'd hope it's still happening!
"Why was the spider disappointed after browsing the web? Because he couldn't find any fly downloads!"
Claude.ai effort at an original joke - 2022

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 17, 2019, 09:22:03 am »
Most machines are fully electronically monitored for maintenance and servicing. Using the available data depends largely on the owner, his local dealer and project requirements. Some companies I have worked with take full advantage of the data available and use it, some just operate til it breaks then keep operating til it dies.
I was disappointed at the lack of innovation this year, but robots, AI, and electric machines are coming.  25 years ago hydraulics and electronics were replacing mechanical items, the technology to make the next jump is available but first manufacturers have to work put how to apply it, then convince buyers it's worth it, and wait until this generation of machines wears out. And the current generation of plant managers retire....

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 17, 2019, 09:32:53 am »
And the current generation of plant managers retire....

I was with you right up to that point... :)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 10:23:23 am by Phmode »

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 18, 2019, 05:19:20 pm »
So this is Thursday. Frying my gonads in 26C in Belgium.  Bloody weather.

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 19, 2019, 10:26:01 am »
Supposed to be 23C jere all weekend, so slightly less intense.

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 27, 2019, 07:22:23 pm »
So the 90,000 mile service happened. Ocean Motorrad manager #4 Martijn (half Dutch by way of coincidence) has now taken the chair but James the mechanic is still there. The day before I stripped the bike back and gave it a good clean for the first time in too long. As the air filter on the lefthand side had mysteriously not been replaced for over 3 years I highlighted this to Ocean and thought I'd take a picture of it for posterity.

The bike is in reasonably good nick considering its now 11 years old. There are several areas of bubbling paintwork on the front forks and the shaft drive, and some of the bolts on the front brakes are now rusty. Inside the fairing its remarkably clean. A lot of paint has come off the engine block but its hardly important and you cant see it with the fairings on. There's no significant corrosion

I was able to clean the fairings properly inside and out and got rid of a lot of road dirt. I discovered a lot of scratches up the LHS of the belly pan so as previously mentioned somewhere I seem to like left hand bends more than right hand bends.

I was short of a bolt for the belly pan under the rear end so was quite pleased when I found a bolt dropped inside by the battery box. Reassembling everything from the assembled yoghurt pots of carefully husbanded bits I was very annoyed to find that as I assembled the battery cover I was not only still a bolt short but also that a bolt was missing from the battery clamp, and I had managed to lose the bolt retaining clip from one side of the battery cover somewhere during my enthusiastic cleaning and polishing.  >:(

So anyway the freshly polished bike went down to Ocean to get taken to bits. I had asked for the radiator back after they took it off so that I could take it home to give it a good clean because of the hot running in the long run down to Munich and back. When I went in to get it I had a good chat with James the technician and a good look at the top end. There is the first indication of wear on the tip of the exhaust cam lobe on the LH cylinder, and one other , may have been the cam lobe at the opposite end.

All of the valve clearances were in tolerance nothing needed altered

The general condition of the engine is not bad, you can see the hose clips starting to rust now

The unexpected replacement of the service was the coil packs. The plastic heads with the lugs for removal by the special tool have not got many lugs left and were difficult to get off. Also the connections inside which are tiny were full of that blue green shyte that grows on electrical connectors. Anyway new ones are in there now. The plugs all looked good and evenly coloured but my god what tiny electrodes! Hopefully this will help the odd hot start issue I'd been having recently

The object below is apparently the radiator. After 4 hours work it looked a bit more like a radiator in that water could actually pass through it from front to back. Estimated 30-40% blocked solid. I cleaned a lot of road dirt out of it. I tried the pin poking from the back but the dirt was so well welded in that I was breaking the fins so stopped. Wife refused to go out as she knew it would be straight in the dishwasher as soon as she pulled out of the drive... ::)
It became apparent that there were 2 lines of particularly well glued blockages and it occurred to me that I was looking at brake dust and rubber in line from the front discs. Discovering my brake cleaner had mysteriously been used up I went out the next day and bought some. Emptied the entire bottle and it was beginning to make a difference but I ran out of time. Maybe an overnight soak in cleaner would have been more effective. Anyhow its much better than it was, we shall see on Monday if its made much difference.

Had a new PR5 fitted to the front to match the rear fitted at the last service which has been doing rather well. So the preceding PR3 did 12200 miles, albeit well illegal after the nearly 2000 miles I did in the last 2 weeks (Amsterdam Munich Amsterdam Falmouth with the B500, a bit of commuting and trips to Rotterdam thrown in)

There been a bit of discussion over grip puppies elsewhere. Just thought I'd throw in a picture of the original LH grip and the RH grip that was replaced 12000 miles ago.

And so to the courtesy bike, a GS1250. Frustratingly due to being busy all week (some holiday with financial advisors, solicitors, opticians, fixing both sons cars, replanting trees and other gardening) it stood in the drive for most of the 3 days I had it. This was more of a shame because when I finally got out on it I found for the first time I actually liked a GS. I've had 2 1200's before and did not get on with them. This one had low seat and also adjustable suspension. With it lowered I could get both feet on the ground with my 31 inch inside leg. With those huge wide bars I found it easier to paddle around in the drive than the K, and pushing it about on garage forecourts etc was pretty easy.
The instant punch from the engine is great, keeping it below 30 in town is very difficult. Very easy to ride slow and filter too. Initially it was in Road mode which proved more than enough in the lanes and pottering around. Over 50mpg on the dash readout (which for one of these fully electronic jobs is pretty simple) in this use. Other switchgear was OK except the nasty little indicator switch. The keyless ignition was easy enough to get on with, although this is the second time I've used it. I was still getting used to the dive at the front end when I gave it back, you forget how flat the K stays under hard braking. After a petrol stop I put it in Dynamic mode and the plush feel of the ride became more K like. It accelerates very rapidly to 70 or so in either mode, and 90 is not long coming up.
The wind protection is surprisingly good and quieter than my current screen (as I mentioned in an earlier post). Sitting bolt upright was initially literally a pain in the arse. I found that the seat slopes forward and you gradually grind your gonads into the tank or find your trews getting very tight as you slowly slide forward. I got used to it after a bit of shuffling about. Those high bars need moving around a lot more as you start doing some proper cornering, I felt like I had clip ons when I got back on the K, but I think I'd get used to it. If I was given one I would keep it , but at 17500 drinking vouchers I'll not be rushing out to buy a new one. There was a very clean K1300S 30th Anniversary edition on the ramp next to mine in the workshop (Mr Grey who ever you are - nice bike) and I think I'd be on a second-hand one of those at less than half the price in jig time.

So £1039.43 later we are ready to roll. My retirement planning budget has been altered accordingly.....hopefully will be joining you retired layabouts within the next 12 months

Online raesewell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • My K bike model:: Yamaha FJR (2013)
« Reply #477 on: April 27, 2019, 07:42:44 pm »
New members always welcome in the layabouts club  ;D

Offline Phmode

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 28, 2019, 11:42:08 am »
Lovely write-up Martin.

I'm really pleased your high-miler is holding up and I find the two stripes of shite up the radiator to be quite amazing. I don't think anyone has ever mentioned this before. I would be keeping a few beer tokens to one side just in case the seals on the radiator let go, that's where mine went.

Also good news about the impending retirement. Grab the money while you are (just about) young enough to enjoy it  ;D

Offline fjtwelve

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 29, 2019, 10:39:35 am »

And there we have it at 90k. A damp misty, and shortly after this was taken, wet, Monday morning. You can see the radiator is now behaving itself having been given a good long thrash . Currently wasting time at Folkestone waiting for a train to Calais after getting here from Falmouth in just over 5 hours.